• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

More Stack's Bowers Issues!!!

27 posts in this topic

Ok, this company seriously needs to get its act together. I called their company Monday morning and made a payment in full.

- Item

- Buyer's Premium

- Shipping

I just logged back into my account to check the shipping status and it shows I owe another $18.75 this time for tax. I have no problem paying my taxes but seriously why wasn't this included when I called in Monday?!

I'm paying the rest of it I'm seriously upset with Stack's at this point. The website is awful, they can't get their paperwork straight, and they didn't even email me telling me there was still a balance due.

The only good thing about the company that I've experienced is there are nice people working on their staff.

It could have fit in the last thread but I started that one because of their website issue. Since this is a different aspect of their business it just seemed to make sense to put it in a new thread. It probably could have fit fine within the last one too. Splitting hairs?

It could have fit in the last thread but I started that one because of their website issue. Since this is a different aspect of their business it just seemed to make sense to put it in a new thread. It probably could have fit fine within the last one too. Splitting hairs?

Since you asked - yes, I think you are splitting hairs and over-doing it, by starting a new complaint thread. But perhaps you and/or others disagree.

I just checked my invoices, and have 3 from their iauctions so far.

I have paid for all within a couple days.

They have retroactively added sales tax to the last 2 auctions.

I have already received my first 2 auction wins.

The last win from Sunday says 'ready to ship', so I am going to wait and see.

StacksBowers does not have a 'physical' presence in my state, and every state has different rules for taxation on collectible coins.

Maybe we can change this to a 'sales tax' on coins thread.

If I have to pay 'sales tax' on coins that are on an internet auction, but presently located in CA, or NY, or even TX - I will need to know what the rate is and adjust my bids down....

Sales tax on internet sales are based on the shipping location. So if your state charges taxes you have to pay taxes and vice versa.

Sales tax on internet sales are based on the shipping location. So if your state charges taxes you have to pay taxes and vice versa.

Yeah, that's true and I paid the tax. I just wish they would have given me the right price the first time or at least called or emailed me when they finally recalculated the invoice.

Re: "Stacks Bowers Issues" - what's in each issue and how many are there? Is this like the old chatty price lists QDB once produced?

Hmmmm ;)

I've never bid on anything from Stacks and generally prefer to buy coins live at the auction. I steer away from auctions in nearby states that charge tax on money. Come on!!!

I'd suggest OP call Stacks and give them the business. That's one way to make it clear that "paid in full" means just that/ No new bites at the apple.

I've never bid on anything from Stacks and generally prefer to buy coins live at the auction. I steer away from auctions in nearby states that charge tax on money. Come on!!!

I'd suggest OP call Stacks and give them the business. That's one way to make it clear that "paid in full" means just that/ No new bites at the apple.

Its not stacks fault he has to pay taxes... California is crazy... there is no long beach auction this year because of the way California operates...

You owe sales tax if they have a nexus in your state, or if you live in the state where the auction was held. You may also owe the tax if you bid in person at the sale.

I live in Indiana and we do have sales tax on coins, but if I was a successful internet bidder in the Stacks bowers sale they can not collect sales tax from me. On the other hand I would owe use tax to the state of Indiana, but Stacks Bowers does not collect that.

You owe sales tax if they have a nexus in your state, or if you live in the state where the auction was held. You may also owe the tax if you bid in person at the sale.

I live in Indiana and we do have sales tax on coins, but if I was a successful internet bidder in the Stacks bowers sale they can not collect sales tax from me. On the other hand I would owe use tax to the state of Indiana, but Stacks Bowers does not collect that.

I live in MN and agree with the above, but I wonder if they are filing in MN and IN and sending them sales tax?? Kind of a pro-active position for a business with something most people see coming in the future.

Maybe they will begin having zombie auctions where they can have both live bids and dead bids. Heck, most of my auction bids are dead on arrival anyway. :)

There was a lot item I wanted to see online so I clicked on it. I got an error message. I tried many other lots without issue. I tried a different web browser with the same results. The URLs look to be coded properly. I decided to call them. The operator directed me to auction services and transferred me. No one picked up the phone and I got voice mail! With so many issues that people have been reporting I was not confident that anyone would check the message and return my call in a timely manner. Sad. I will try to call them another time...or just forget it completely.

There was a lot item I wanted to see online so I clicked on it. I got an error message. I tried many other lots without issue. I tried a different web browser with the same results. The URLs look to be coded properly. I decided to call them. The operator directed me to auction services and transferred me. No one picked up the phone and I got voice mail! With so many issues that people have been reporting I was not confident that anyone would check the message and return my call in a timely manner. Sad. I will try to call them another time...or just forget it completely.
I called them back, asked for auction services, got transferred and talked to David. He was very nice. He was able to replicate the same error on the website. He took my name and email address down so that he could email me when he hears back from IT about the problem.

It will be interesting to see when/if I get an email. :)

Well, I have to say that I called a certain TPG about another issue, trying to get information from them last week. I talked to Miguel on the phone. He said he would call me back with the information. He didn't!!!

It's not just Stacks. There are plenty of ..............oh, never mind. ;)

My sales tax for last couple invoices (added after payment) disappeared today and last invoice got sent with tracking info (I calculated it at near 6.3% - not sure if shipping gets taxed or just items)

They seem to be making progress - couple steps forward, one back, ....

I noticed some old Teletrade lots are linked on CoinFacts again.

I haven't gotten my auction winning from NYINC yet, and my invoice says ON HOLD. I called SB today and found out that my funds haven't cleared all the way yet. Not sure why, since I use Chase, and assume that SB would use a major bank too. Anyway, I'm a long time client with Stack's, BM and ANR -- I'm known to the old faces at the two original firms. All of a sudden, I get treated like a noob when in prior years they've just taken my check and given me my lots no questions asked.

I'm so frustrated...

EVP

This morning I noticed that Stacks had fixed the problem with the one lot I had contacted them about. Early this afternoon I received an email from them letting me know it was fixed. Well done!

Forget all the "names" associated with the company. It is just a part of Spectrum Group International, Inc. (SPGZ) with Brian Kendrella as president.

Your "old friends" from B&M, ANR, Stack's, etc. are gone, or have been spayed or neutered.

Forget all the "names" associated with the company. It is just a part of Spectrum Group International, Inc. (SPGZ) with Brian Kendrella as president.

Your "old friends" from B&M, ANR, Stack's, etc. are gone, or have been spayed or neutered.

Sad, but you're probably 110% correct. Shortly after Chris Napolitano became head of SB, I ran into him in Baltimore and he smiled and shook my hand. At NYINC 2014, I ran into Chris Karstedt and she greeted me warmly. So did her daughter.

But I guess the machine is bigger than any individual...

:(

EVP

Everyone is invited to have your winnings shipped to me in the great state of Montana where we have no sales tax and I will send them out to you no questions asked. Might be my new business model :)

Paying shipping twice might be a lot cheaper than tax...unless you are buying something like a car.

"Why do they end auctions in the middle of the night? "

They are based in California, so it's not the middle of the night there.