• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My 1st Morgan Purchase

17 posts in this topic

It was bought as uncirculated but has scuff/bag marks. Normally I wouldn't spend money on an older coin without slab protection but I thought this was comparable to some of the MS-rated coins I saw on Ebay and some of the auction houses. If I am wrong, it's not an expensive lesson (wouldn't try this with a Saint or Liberty gold piece).

66c07d303121772.jpg ea90f4303121777.jpg

Edit: Eh, the pics look crappy doh! ....I'll try and take better ones. Damn lighting !!!

Thanks Guys ! As long it was MS, I didn't get shafted price-wise. I thought myself it was an MS 62 quality, but I paid AU 58 - MS 60 price-wise. I liked the coin, wasn't looking to flip it, just wanted to make sure I didn't over pay by 25% (not that it would have killed me).

A few more pics, a bit bigger/better:

839665303133133.jpg d7b58c303133142.jpg

Oh yeah, obviously it's a Carson City (CC) mint coin. :grin:

For some reason, coins in the GSA holders get a more leniant grade. This might get a MS63 in this holder. I would grade it 61 or 62.

Did you get the orginal box and COA (Cert. of Authenticity)? These are important to GSA collectors if you ever go to sell it.

The second photos are much better. The lighting is good, just work on focus & stability and you'll have great images.

The coin is very nice. It's impossible to see every potential problem from a photo, but it looks just fine. Be careful. Collecting Morgans can be addictive!

It was bought as uncirculated but has scuff/bag marks. Normally I wouldn't spend money on an older coin without slab protection but I thought this was comparable to some of the MS-rated coins I saw on Ebay and some of the auction houses. If I am wrong, it's not an expensive lesson (wouldn't try this with a Saint or Liberty gold piece).

66c07d303121772.jpg ea90f4303121777.jpg

Edit: Eh, the pics look crappy doh! ....I'll try and take better ones. Damn lighting !!!

I like the die clashes.

I like the die clashes.

Glad you like the die clashes.

I like coins with excellent die clashes.

Anything about these die clashes that stuck out at you ?

Oh yeah...1 more thing....what are die clashes ? :grin:

Seriously....maybe you can refer to the 2nd set of photos, I think they're clearer.

TV Ads for Morgan Silver Dollars: Last night while I was half-dead I saw one of those ads offering to sell Morgan Silver Dollars for $29.99....I missed the number, but at that price, it didn't seem like such a horrible deal compared to some of the stuff I've seen.

Obviously, it appears they are selling the cheapest Morgans they can get which sell for barely above melt value and then marking them up a bit.

My question is: why are they doing this on thin margins ? Do they just want to get you hooked so they can come back and sell you the higher-margin 'certified' coins ?

TV Ads for Morgan Silver Dollars: Last night while I was half-dead I saw one of those ads offering to sell Morgan Silver Dollars for $29.99....I missed the number, but at that price, it didn't seem like such a horrible deal compared to some of the stuff I've seen.

Obviously, it appears they are selling the cheapest Morgans they can get which sell for barely above melt value and then marking them up a bit.

My question is: why are they doing this on thin margins ? Do they just want to get you hooked so they can come back and sell you the higher-margin 'certified' coins ?

How do you know their margins are "thin"? They might be buying them for about $20.

Either way, while I'm not sayng such is the case here, some sellers do offer reasonable deals on one item as a hook to get people to buy other items at inflated prices.

How do you know their margins are "thin"? They might be buying them for about $20. Either way, while I'm not saying such is the case here, some sellers do offer reasonable deals on one item as a hook to get people to buy other items at inflated prices.

40-50% margins before S&H, and given a limit of 5 coins per order, struck me curious.

If they had limited supply they would want to get as many potential future leads by selling them to as many people as possible rather than sell a few hundred coins to a few people.

Mark, I realize a 40-50% profit margin is normally very nice but compared to some Web sites I've stumbled across or that Coin Vault Show where markups apparently reached 100-400%, it seemed almost 'reasonable' by comparison.

How do you know their margins are "thin"? They might be buying them for about $20. Either way, while I'm not saying such is the case here, some sellers do offer reasonable deals on one item as a hook to get people to buy other items at inflated prices.

40-50% margins before S&H, and given a limit of 5 coins per order, struck me curious.

If they had limited supply they would want to get as many potential future leads by selling them to as many people as possible rather than sell a few hundred coins to a few people.

Mark, I realize a 40-50% profit margin is normally very nice but compared to some Web sites I've stumbled across or that Coin Vault Show where markups apparently reached 100-400%, it seemed almost 'reasonable' by comparison.

Understood.