• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toned WLH NEWP - Do you like this kind of toning ?

16 posts in this topic

Im usually a rim toning type of guy... I like to see lustrous centers framed by rainbow rims...

But I couldnt resist this one... Can I expect to see luster under all that toning ? And does anyone know what causes this type of toning ? I would say an envelope but I dont know WLHs that well...

Thanks in advance... Oh yeah GTG if thats even possible ! lol

27335411o.jpg

27335411r.jpg

No. Sorry. I find it terribly unattractive, and would deduct at least a point from the grade for negative eye appeal.

And it is absolutely impossible to guess the grade based on those pictures, which are taken solely to highlight the color (which won't be nearly as evident at most lighting angles in hand.) The surfaces and condition of the coin are completely obfuscated by the picture.

I'd guess maybe a 64, only because I can't give it a very high grade with that toning.

Sorry for sounding so negative on this coin, but going solely by the pictures, I'm not impressed.

Northeast is great to work with and seem to be fair from my dealings with them. That said, their photos are a bit "juiced" and the coin tends to look a little different in hand. By no means am I saying they try to hide anything with their photos, I'm just stating they enhance the photos to show the coin at the best it could possibly be. I've actually sent some of my coins to them and they were nice enough to photograph them for free. I'd be curious to see your photo of the coin.

As far as grade, I'll hold back. I was looking at this one on Northeast's website.

I also like rim toning with whiter centers. However, I don't mind dark overall toning, if there is a significant amount of color. Although it has some decent blue on the reverse; I honestly find it's not vivid enough and too dark for my taste.

I can't tell the grade from the photos.

I like the toning / color

I have seen similar toning come out of pages / albums made by

Bigelow - they are similar to Meghrig or Wayte Raymond but are black with simulated leather texture on the page not the slides.

If I bought that, I would look very close on the obverse around the sun and a couple other locations where it looks like possible pvc attack locations

my grade guess 65/66 nice luster

Im usually a rim toning type of guy... I like to see lustrous centers framed by rainbow rims...

But I couldnt resist this one... Can I expect to see luster under all that toning ? And does anyone know what causes this type of toning ? I would say an envelope but I dont know WLHs that well...

Thanks in advance... Oh yeah GTG if thats even possible ! lol

Actually, I think, I like the toning. As far as the grade goes, most I can say is, there's a coin in there, somewhere.

Really going to depend on the luster. If it has lots it may be attractive in hand. I have a feeling that the pics do this coin no justice.

Here is a similar toned walker I posted with a video if you have not seen it.

Let us know when you get it in hand

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=325056&Number=7306590#Post7306590

Forgot to add that ATS it was thought to be envelope toning.

I love the guys at the Northeast... And they let you return it for any reason so Im not really worried...

For those that tried guessing... PF got it - PCGS MS64.

And I think everything comes down to luster. No luster and she's as dead a run-over bottle cap on a hot asphalt highway...

But if that luster is booming - she might be nice. IDK...

I will post some pics when she arrives...

Thanks everyone !

I saw this coin a few time on their website - was very reasonably priced, too.

I can't say I really LOVED the toning, but I think it has an interesting look to it (that's why I went back a few times to look at it). I too think it looks similar to coins toned in one of those little yellow envelopes. I don't think the coin is ugly.

Btw, NEC has a GREAT friendly customer service, their pics are pretty good (the coin in hand would probably look as it did in the pics, or better.)

borderline environmental damage

:sick:

Wow this is interesting.... Environmental Damage ? I would think that PCGS would reject this coin if in fact it was damaged....

However, I would like to know why you think its damaged ? Is it just the thickness of the toning ? Or do you see something I or anyone else hasnt seen on the coin ?

Its also interesting how divided everyone is...

6 dislike/hate vs. 5 like/interesting

borderline environmental damage

:sick:

Wow this is interesting.... Environmental Damage ? I would think that PCGS would reject this coin if in fact it was damaged....

However, I would like to know why you think its damaged ? Is it just the thickness of the toning ? Or do you see something I or anyone else hasnt seen on the coin ?

Its also interesting how divided everyone is...

6 dislike/hate vs. 5 like/interesting

He said "borderline environmenatl dmage", not "environmentally damaged".

The coin looks fine to me - especailly as an MS64 - and I have seen others from that era (in particular, a number of 1944-S examples) with a very similar look. To me, the toning is neutral to slightly positive, as well as interesting looking.