• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FUN Show Report - 2014 Edition

26 posts in this topic

Ah, FUN... the biggest and best show of the year, and the highlight of my annual collecting adventures.....

I drove down Thursday, and got to Orlando just in time for a deluge - as I was pulling up to my hotel, the heavens opened up and the rains started pouring down. Luckily, my hotel had a parking garage and covered walkways, so I managed to mostly stay dry. I checked in, and promptly headed towards the show. Every time I get to FUN, I'm always struck by how enormous it is. Talking to a few dealers, however, it sounds like this show was actually smaller than last year. The West hall held about 50 fewer dealers, and there were apparently quite a few on a waiting list that never got to set up. Aisles also seemed smaller than last year, and there was a constant flow of traffic all three days I was there - whether it was an illusion or not, the place seemed crowded.

I had a couple of goals for this show. First, I have been in the process of refocusing and upgrading a lot of my collection throughout 2013 - pruning and trimming, and getting things down to just three sets, and focusing on quality. I'm working on my prooflike type set, Bust halves, and a shilling type set. That has meant selling a lot of stuff that I still sorta liked, but not enough to keep - a lot of toners, my Franklin set, and a lot of the random stuff that a collector often buys "because it looks cool." So, the first goal I had was to sell off the rest of that sort of stuff. Thursday afternoon was spent in that pursuit - and I'm happy to say that I was successful. When selling stuff, especially to dealers and even more especially at large shows, you may be alarmed at the low prices they offer you, but that is part of the education. I learned, for example, that a lot of my raw shillings I had both overgraded and overvalued - and I had to pay a decent tuition on them. (The same, coincidentally, was true of my Franklin set that I sold over the summer - weak material will bring weak prices. That tuition, however, was much steeper and hurt quite a bit).

The other, and more important thing, I learned while trying to sell things: Quality is easy to sell, and its easy to get good prices. I know the difference between the quality coins I was trying to sell and the other stuff - and the quality stuff sold in a snap.

Thursday's mission was a success - and just in time to start meeting up for dinner. Right before I was ready to leave, I happened upon Shane, who happened upon a few other collectors. They held an impromptu Toned Coin Collector Society meeting there - and we began showing off pieces. Lablover walked up and joined us, and TonedDollars was there showing off his box of 20. And what a box! The highlight for me was the most beautifully toned St. Gaudens. I've seen pictures of them online, but never actually seen one in hand, and let me tell you - while the pictures may be nice, nothing compares to actually seeing that thing in hand. The subtle pastel greens and pinks played across the surfaces, mingling with the luster to produce one of the most gorgeous pieces of gold you could imagine. It was truly spectacular.

Thursday evening I met up with HardTimes, ldhair, and BillJones for dinner at Vito's, where we were regaled with tales of BillJones' adventures in collecting and dealing. It was a fantastic time - it's always great to hear the stories ad perspectives of people who have been doing this for a while, have seen things, and have a real passion for collecting - and the three of them definitely fit the bill!

Friday morning, HardTimes convinced me to join him at the John Reich Collector's Society meeting, and I'm really glad that I did. As we went around the room introducing ourselves at the beginning, I started to realize that half the people in that room had written books, and that I owned and had read and reference them often. The amount of knowledge and experience in that room was tremendous. David Finkelstein gave a fantastic presentation on the yellow fever epidemics that plagued Philadelphia in teh 1790's, and how they affected the mint. It was really interesting, and he had spent a lot of time and effort going through the archives tracing out exactly what happened. Very interesting!

After the meeting, I headed out to the bourse to begin my quest for prooflikes. Alas.... as I expected, there was a dearth of good PLs. There were a few that I already had (Seated dime, Columbian, and a couple of gold dollars). There were a few undesignated that were clearly PLs (a couple of seated quarters, and a gorgeous 1915S Barber half in 63 that had fantastic mirrors). When I saw those, I took a minute to point them out to the dealers and encouraged them to resubmit them for the designation (most of the dealers were appreciative of this, especially the owner of the Barber half). And then I saw a few absolutely incredible PLs that were well out of my price range (the same 1820's era 64PL Bust half that has been in dealer's cases for a couple/few years now - priced at about twice what its worth; a tremendous 1860's era 3 cent silver with the astronomical grade of 68 * PL, and an astronomical price to boot, which has also been in the same dealer's case for a while; and one I hadn't seen before - an outstanding 1834 $5 gold graded 66 PL, with gorgeous mirrors). Other than that, there weren't really any PL's - and dealers gave me funny looks when I asked about them. I would pull a couple out of my bag to show them, and they would be blown away by them - and then say they had never seen anything like them, and didn't have anything for me. Oh well, I knew this set would be a challenge.

I wasn't too heartbroken, though, because I knew it was finally time to upgrade my Morgan dollar. I have had a 65PL for a while, but recently sold it in anticipation of FUN. I headed over to Don Rinkor, who was great and took the time to point out a lot of the subtleties of Morgan dollar DMPLs. I knew that I wanted a black-and-white cameo contrasted coin with deep, watery mirrors, and I was pretty sure that I wanted a CC. Don showed me what he had, and then he handed me an 1885 and said "Just look at this one." That's all it took. I was sold. You can see pictures of it below, and you'll see what I mean. Everyone I showed it to at the show was equally impressed.

One of the things that NGC has been doing recently at FUN has been to have Mark Salzberg give free reviews of coins. I decided to take advantage of that again this year, and brought him my Barber and Seated Halves. They are both graded 64PL, and I thought both of them should grade 65PL. Mark thought the Barber is accurately graded at 64PL because of some haziness, but he seemed to like the Seated half and said there was a very good chance it would get a 65PL if I resubmitted it. So I did, and we'll see what comes of that.

So, I continued my search of the bourse, and stumbled upon something that I would never have thought to look for, at Aspen Park Rare Coins. It was a Guatemalan Real, from 1821, graded 64PL. I was just stunned by the mirrors and cameo, and how bright and fresh the coin looked. It was an absolutely magnificent coin. The price seemed a bit high, so I initially passed on it, but as I continued to walk around the show, I kept thinking about it. At the end of the day Friday, I was still hesitant to pull the trigger on it, but when I went back to the hotel Friday I kept thinking about it. As I've said before - that's the mark of a coin you need to buy. So when I went back on Saturday, I bought it. You can see it below as well.

With my thirst for PLs somewhat satiated, I started looking for Bust Halves. There were very few nice ones on the floor, with the exception of three or four dealers. These are dealers that I've done business with before, so I knew to go straight to them. Sheridan Downey didn't have anything I needed, so I went to Osburne. He had some great stuff, but they were scarcer varieties and priced a bit high (although, they were attractive). I finally had some luck at Eye Appealing Coins, and was able to purchase this 1814 with fantastic rainbow album toning on the obverse, and this deep Christmas green and red reverse. My pictures are terrible, so you only get the merest hint of what I'm talking about. I next went to Treasure of Significance; the owner, Dr. John Oliver, is a newer dealer (I think last year was the first year he was a dealer), but he's a really good guy and has very nice stuff. I was captivated by this 1822 with delicious rainbow bands on both obverse and reverse. I didn't need an 1822, but I couldn't pass up color this nice.

Somewhere in there I spent a bit talking to TomB (always a pleasure), and happened to meet Boiler78 at the same time. I showed him a couple of my prooflikes, and then, as Boiler is wont to do, he trumped me with a fantastic 1795 Dollar. I hope he posts pictures of it soon, because this thing was stunning. I also got to meet Brandon and congratulated him on winning the photography contest.

Saturday I enjoyed the educational exhibits, and then headed up to the NGC luncheon for a bit of show and tell with BillJones, Shane, ldhair, messydesk, Elbesaar, and coinkid. After a great lunch, I hit the road and headed back to Charleston, and another successful FUN concluded.

JPW632obverse_zpsde4ac2de.jpg

JPW632reverse_zpsb0ffeb85.jpg

JPA998obverse_zpsdf3d5fb5.jpg

JPA998reverse_zps84b58733.jpg

JPA999obverse_zpsd8a39365.jpg

JPA999reverse_zps8e381c67.jpg

JPA1000obverse_zpsca1f14d2.jpg

JPA1000reverse_zpse9638a4c.jpg

Nice report, nice coins, and nice talking with you at FUN!

I agree that if there's a coin that's a good fit for your budget and collection and you can't stop thinking about it, that's a good sign that you should really consider buying it. Who knows when you'll have the next opportunity.

No disrespect to Jason buy......that Guatemalan Real looks a 1000 times nicer in hand than his pictures lead on....blast white with blazing luster and PL fields. I don't care what you normally collect....you have to appreciate a coin like that when you see it in hand (thumbs u

Oh, I know my pictures are ! All of these are much nicer in hand.

Hey, quick question for the Bust Half guys.... The 1814 is clearly an O-103 (the die gouge gives it away) but every picture I've seen of one has a ton of clashing. Mine has no trace of clashing anywhere. Is there an O-103 Prime designated? How rare is it?

Jason, great show report, and great to meet you in person! I got to see all kinds of goodies from Jason's "stash" at the show that I'll likely never see again! I can see how those PL/DPL coins can be addictive. I even saw that little Guatemala coin -- and all I can say is WOW! That little thing was amazing!!!

Looking forward to next year's FUN already!

-Brandon

Great report Jason. Makes me want to save some vacation time and make it to next years FUN Show.

That 1885 Morgan looks stunning. I also really like the Guatemalan.

Thanks for sharing your insights on selling coins which no longer fit into your collection and the painful monetary lessons that accompanied it. I learned a lot just reading about your experiences. I try to only buy the best possible coin that I can afford, but in my desire to expand my collection, I'm sure I've added a few of those coins that will require the same monetary lessons that you shared.

but did you show anyone the war nickel? :) the only thing i dont like is trying to resell PLs, as there is not an established price, if i go to local show and try to sell some i get really low offers :(

Good report! This shows the coin community involved in good interactions with one another in one of those classic vacation destinations. Many of these convention centers have multiple groups hosted on a weekly basis.

BTW if I had to pick a favorite it would be the 8 Reales.

It's only a single real ;)

Everyone seems to really like that one, which is cool. Its one of those really unusual coins that you don't see very often, and in hand the mirrors are just outstanding. TomB said it almost looked like play money in this condition - like one of those aluminum tokens you get in a board game or something. This is one of those ones that you really have to see in hand to fully appreciate.

BTW if I had to pick a favorite it would be the 8 Reales.
It's only a single real ;)

Everyone seems to really like that one, which is cool. Its one of those really unusual coins that you don't see very often, and in hand the mirrors are just outstanding. TomB said it almost looked like play money in this condition - like one of those aluminum tokens you get in a board game or something. This is one of those ones that you really have to see in hand to fully appreciate.

Sorry the picture was so HUGE that I thought it was a pillar dollar!! Keep up the great work on a wonderful collection.