• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1879 Morgan Dollar MS

11 posts in this topic

Something looks... odd... about the surfaces of this coin. I'm not sure if its just the lighting and photograph, or what, but I'm not entirely convinced of the authenticity of that coin.

If it is authentic, I'd call it a nice 65.

I think a MS65 grade is appropriate but I also think it has just recently been dipped and is starting to tone on the outer edges with that 'not properly rinsed' look.

Looks like just some album toning to me. Looks nice and I know the pic is large but I'm thinking the marks on the cheek and neck and some marks on the reverse are going to keep this to a 64. It may slide to 65 though. Don't think the nose will have any effect on the grade also as Mark mentioned.

I see dip residue among the stars and behind the E on the left obverse. There is some on the bottom right reverse, too. It looks SLIGHTLY muted but not TOO bad. It is beginning to re-tone nicely. That mark on the nose is barely noticeable and not significant. It is a high end 64 or low end 65 IMHO. Maybe MS 64 +.

This is another that was in the batch currently in the mail back home. It's in a body bag. Apparently they saw what wdrob saw and indicated an improperly cleaned obverse.

Dammit!!!!!!

I am sorry to hear that is the result. However, that coin looks as though it has a good amount of luster so all is not lost unless they saw some cleaning hairlines or circular type of hairlines.

I would suggest a very quick dip with an appropriate solution along with a very thorough rinse, with the final rinse being with distilled water, and then softly blown dry using canned air.

If you do that, and then inspect it thoroughly under many different lighting angles and it does not have hairlines from an abrasive cleaning then place it in a kraft envelope and take it out occasionally to make sure it has remained stable, a resubmission would probably then prove fruitful.

If you choose to dip it I will emphasize a quick dip. Only long enough to remove the signs of a previously inadequately rinsed dip. Anything longer and you are continuing to destroy the original mint luster.