• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cool Peace Dollar

15 posts in this topic

Is it just me....but I see a coin like that and I immediately wonder if it's even going to get the MS designation to begin with, let alone MS 64.

Are coins graded on a curve that I don't know about ?

BTW, it's not a bad coin, I just question the price and also wonder with all the discoloration and other markings how it got an MS 64 rating. But again, as a novice, I don't claim to be qualified to grade, I'm just used to seeing much closer to a 'mint appearance' from an MS 64.

It seems as though every ugly, tarnished Peace dollar has suddenly become "beautifully toned" or "rainbow."

Is it just me....but I see a coin like that and I immediately wonder if it's even going to get the MS designation to begin with, let alone MS 64.

Are coins graded on a curve that I don't know about ?

BTW, it's not a bad coin, I just question the price and also wonder with all the discoloration and other markings how it got an MS 64 rating. But again, as a novice, I don't claim to be qualified to grade, I'm just used to seeing much closer to a 'mint appearance' from an MS 64.

The TPGs are loathe to lower a grade for unattractive tarnish. If this is MS (haven't really gone over it that well), and it is indeed a conditional MS64, that's where they're likely going to keep it. From what I think I've seen, anyway...