• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hoards ? Real, Fake, Major, Minor ?

26 posts in this topic

I dont collect hoard coins but I do enjoy a good story... Im starting to see more and more "hoards" being encapsulated by NGC/PCGS but I cannot find information on the actual hoard...

Perhaps some of you know ? Care to share some knowledge ? Or a link to some ?

Here are some of the more well known and documented hoards...

GSA

Redfield/Paramount

Binion

But what about these...

Omaha Bank Hoard

Big Sky Hoard

Fitzgerald's Collection

Windy City Monster Box Hoard

Lincoln Highway Hoard

Olathe Dollar Hoard

and then you have some toner hoards...

Battle Creek Morgans

Appalachian Jefferson Nickels

Am I missing any ? Please feel free to add to the list...

Not familiar with those, I guess I can Google them.

Are you referring to a huge cache of coins suddenly or 'mysteriosley' found ? You think that might be an indication of fraud ?

If a cache is found by a bank or other institution I think that's better than an individual claiming to have found a bunch in his grandma's attic.

Only hoard I have read about is the Wells Fargo Saint Gaudens coins and that was a while back I believe.

No I dont think they are fraudulent. I believe that if NGC/PCGS are certifying them as a hoard they have done their research...

There are some other hoards that people list on Ebay that dont have the name on the slab but the ones I have mentioned are actually encapsulated.

I just would like to know more of the story behind some of the recent ones list above.

And I never heard of the one you listed - Wells Fargo St. Gaudens - got a link to the story/info on it ?

And I never heard of the one you listed - Wells Fargo St. Gaudens - got a link to the story/info on it ?

Got this, should be more out there if I find more I'll link it:

http://www.greatcollections.com/kb/The-Wells-Fargo-Hoard-of-1908-Saint-Gaudens-t194-4.html

I remember a sale either Heritage or Bowers had 10 years ago (or more) from a Connecticut (or was it Massachusetts?) library of some sort. There were several rolls of 1924 and 1925 dated Buffalo nickels and Merc dimes (P and D mints as I recall) that ended up graded. I'm not sure this was a "major" hoard or anything but it was amazing.

Also, wasn't there a story about someone who collected "roll" sets back in the early 20th century? He had sets of Barbers by the roll and some say, for example, most of the known MS 1901-S quarters come from this. I don't know if it was true but it was an interesting story.

jom

Would you consider the Missouri Cabinet Collection as a hoard? And how about the Randall hoard that provided almost all of the high grade large cents?

Alot of times these hoards were found in the last 20-30 years (or earlier) by family members who did NOT know their relatives/immediate family had these coins.

Today, there's alot more information out and folks know more about their relatives' holdings and also wealth. 30 years ago, you had family members not even know about super-rich relatives. Today, it's tougher to hide.

Both authentication services will perpare custom labels for groups of coins they authenticate and grade. The verbiage is up to the owner of the coin groups.

You will have to decide on a definition of "hoard" if you want to separate the real hoards from the "marketing hoards."

(A bag of Kenndy half dollars was placed on a small ship that was sent to the wrecking yard. Were they now "shipwreck coins?")

GSA and Redfield were true "hoards" - large accumulations inadvertantly maintained or kept for emergency reasons.

I dont collect hoard coins but I do enjoy a good story... Im starting to see more and more "hoards" being encapsulated by NGC/PCGS but I cannot find information on the actual hoard...

Perhaps some of you know ? Care to share some knowledge ? Or a link to some ?

Here are some of the more well known and documented hoards...

GSA

Redfield/Paramount

Binion

But what about these...

Omaha Bank Hoard

Big Sky Hoard

Fitzgerald's Collection

Windy City Monster Box Hoard

Lincoln Highway Hoard

Olathe Dollar Hoard

and then you have some toner hoards...

Battle Creek Morgans

Appalachian Jefferson Nickels

Am I missing any ? Please feel free to add to the list...

You'd figure the TPGs would have some insights into them. After all, they're the ones slabbing them.

omaha bank hoard is kind of interesting to me, i was born in omaha and lived there for 12 years. i guess the story is the person behind the hoard had been buying original rolls of coins and keeping them in a bank deposit box. most of the coins are pretty high grade as they come from original rolls and the dates are usually late 30's through the 60s

You can add The Great Falls Collection of Morgan Dollars to the toner hoards.

Is there a link ?

Seems like the info on all of the hoards are limited... Doesnt that hurt with the marketing ?

Ive seen commercial info on the GSA and Redfield Hoards that was obviously prepared in anticipation of the release/sales. No one else has bothered to do that with other hoards ?

I own a 1921 Morgan MS65 from the McClaren Collection. I don't know anything about it, nor did I buy the coin because of the "pedigree". It was a nice looking 1921.

Arent "Collections" different ? Im pretty sure thats an NGC coin and I think NGC will label your personal collection if you pay for it...

So maybe its just a 21 Morgan from McClarens stash.

does anyone have a copy of the binion coin census. for peace dollars they seem to have only released 1922-p and 1923-p in MS grades and a few 1922-s, 1923-d, 1922-d, 1923-d, 1926-s in circulated. I would love to have a 1921 peace from the binion collection, there has to be some around somewhere

I own a 1921 Morgan MS65 from the McClaren Collection. I don't know anything about it, nor did I buy the coin because of the "pedigree". It was a nice looking 1921.

Arent "Collections" different ? Im pretty sure thats an NGC coin and I think NGC will label your personal collection if you pay for it...

So maybe its just a 21 Morgan from McClarens stash.

You're right about the label saying McClaren collection. After posting my original in the thread, I did a google search and came up with this:

http://www.coinlink.com/News/press-releases/legend-numismatics-announces-the-acquisition-of-the-35000-coin-mcclaren-collection/

While it's listed as a collection, the amount of coins the guy had in his collection could be considered a hoard.

Edit to add: Yes, it's in an NGC holder.

Anyway, I don't really care whether it's a considered a collection or a hoard, I bought the coin because of its technical grade and eye appeal. Being from the McClaren collection didn't play a factor in my purchase.

does anyone have a copy of the binion coin census. for peace dollars they seem to have only released 1922-p and 1923-p in MS grades and a few 1922-s, 1923-d, 1922-d, 1923-d, 1926-s in circulated. I would love to have a 1921 peace from the binion collection, there has to be some around somewhere

I have been wondering this too as well. I dont know if NGC did a separate census for Binion... I really hope they did though.

I have never seen a 21-P Peace $ Binion and I think if one surfaced at auction it would command a huge premium since it might be the ONLY one.