• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1934-D toned Buffalo... grade help pls...

13 posts in this topic

I cant grade Buffs to save a drowning kitten...

Any help is appreciated... and for those that know Buffs - why are the 34-P and 34-D so hard to find nicely toned ?

buffo.png

buffr.png

Based on the photo I can only say the coin is NOT AU. There is no flatness on the Buffalo's hip. It's an odd photo though...very "bright" or "shinny".

Speaking of toned 34-Ds I remember this coin VERY well:

1934-D Buffalo

The coin had magnificent bull's eye toning (can't really see it in the photo) and went for a LOT of dough. I can't believe that was 12 years ago...amazing how time flies....

jom

I wouldn't even venture to guess the grade based on those photos, but I will say that the coin has an unusual sheen about it that could be indicative of problems if the coin looks like this in hand. I'm hoping it is just the images.

You know enough about coins and grading to know those images are pretty much worthless for purposes of "grade help". :baiting:

Well yes but, when it comes to Buffs Im lost as to when a coin is AU vs. MS.

Ive been lucky with getting mostly MS grades when submitting raw but Ive had a couple come back AU and I sit there trying to look for the rub and cant see it.

As for the shiny factor - I think that is an effect of the lighting. I dont think the coin has been harshly cleaned.

But back to the toned 34-Ps and 34-Ds...

Doesnt anyone know why these dont tone up the same as say the 35-38 ? or even the 1913 issues ?

Was the metal alloy different in 34 ? Where 1934s not saved in albums/envelopes as much as the 1935-1938 ?

I know that the 1922-P, 1923-P, 1924-P, 1925-P Peace $ were often put into aftermarket holders (framed 20th Century collection, velvet boxes ect) resulting in some very nice toning. And in the inverse its also why you dont find 1927, 1928, 1934 or 1935 toned with wild colors. Rather when you do see those years with toning it is almost always with either 1) rim toning from an album or 2) envelope toning.

34 Buffs arent rare so...

I grade it BU possibly cleaned (the obverse field looks to reflective)

I check the reverse at top of left front leg closely to determine if AU/BU

I have seen colors like that from both white Capital Plastics short set and World of Coins album

the Capital plastics set most valuable coins are the 34 and 34-D so frequently the worst/sliders put in the BU set

ct_i436white.jpg

I grade it BU possibly cleaned (the obverse field looks to reflective)

I check the reverse at top of left front leg closely to determine if AU/BU

I have seen colors like that from both white Capital Plastics short set and World of Coins album

the Capital plastics set most valuable coins are the 34 and 34-D so frequently the worst/sliders put in the BU set

]

My guess is that we're not seeing cleaning. But rather, a combination of semi-prooflike surfaces (which can be found on 1934-D's) and poor/overly light/bright images. ;)

My guess is that we're not seeing cleaning. But rather, a combination of semi-prooflike surfaces (which can be found on 1934-D's) and poor/overly light/bright images. ;)

From your lips to God's ears... I would love to see PL surfaces on this coin with nice rainbow toning and an MS65 grade...

From your lips to God's ears... I would love to see PL surfaces on this coin with nice rainbow toning and an MS65 grade...

I said "semi-prooflike", not "prooflike" (PL). Nor did I say anything about an MS65 grade. ;)

Looks like this coin could have some potential! But like the other good folks have mentioned the images are not well defined enough for me to muster a guess. I would like to see better images of this piece.

If your interested here's an image of my pcgs 65 for comparison.. The 1934-d Buffs are not really known for well defined strikes although the strike on the reverse is pretty sharp the obverse strike is a bit weak shown on the knot and hair of the Indian. Nor have I seen many rainbow toned 34-p or 34-d Buffs for sale, but they're out there.

1934-Dpcgsms-65006_zpsaf996f07.jpg1934-Dpcgsms-65005_zpsaaedaf3e.jpg1934-Dpcgsms-65010_zps2be0f812.jpg

BH - thank you for the comparison pics... and I agree.

I would say the one I posted is a noticeably weaker/softer strike (if there's no rub) and might limit the coin to a low MS grade but the reverse seems well struck comparatively though.

Honestly I would be happy with any at or above MS60 with toning on this coin. I know you say they are out there but I have not been able to find an MS example at any price point.

Thank you to everyone for their opinions. Its great to learn from y'all !