• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fresh from the cherry tree...

18 posts in this topic

Okay, so I am doing my best to keep calm, because a few things have to happen before I can be really throw myself into a celebration for this coin...(the seller has to ship this exact coin, the USPS can't steal it, the coin has to be real, etc.)

BUT

I am super excited about this cherry pick. The pictures were good enough (although it looks like the seller shot them from an angle, because they're a little out of round - but the coin doesn't look damaged) and the variety is strong enough that I'm extremely confident this is "the big

I won't be able to post my photos until it arrives, probably late next week (assuming this is the coin I actually get) but it might be fun to guess the grade based on the seller's pics above, then on mine, then on NGC/PCGS (assuming it's real and it arrives.)

Holy moly!

FYI, I have removed photos and information from this post upon the recommendation of friends until the coin arrives safely in hand. Thanks, and sorry for the confusion!

It will be interesting to see what it looks like in hand - if those darker areas are rub, toning, or shadows. Right now, I'm just kind of assuming it's wear and the coin will be somewhere in the mid AU range...

I think if this coin was an MS66 I might die of a heart attack.

I dont see why this coin wont grade somewhere in mint state. I say MS64. But, I could be really off because Washington Quarter designs were really flat. So, you wont even notice the slightest wear on the coin, unless if the coin was on hand. But, I see how excited you are. I felt the same way when I cherry picked a 1931 S MERCURY DIME PCGS MS65. It was a DOUBLE DIE, but it wasnt noted on the slab. I paid $275. I did the same thing you did. "They have to ship that coin that was pictured, it cant get lost because theres a tracking number on it, it will only take 2 days to get here, etc, etc.

The way I look at it:

*If it's an obvious fake (not worth sending to TPG) I can return it and eBay will cover my costs. I won't lose anything but return shipping.

*If USPS steals/loses it, or the seller sends me the wrong coin, again, eBay will cover my costs and I won't lose anything but return shipping.

Once I get it in hand, and it's the coin in the photos, and I send it to the TPG, I'll send it via Registered Mail. If the USPS loses/steals it, they will pay me the RETAIL value of it (probably after a lengthy fight) and I will do really, really well.

*If it's genuine, and AU, I stand to do really well.

*If it's genuine, and MS, I stand to do really, really well.

But the great news is that I won the auction...so that's the first step (the most stressful!)

I found this listing about 10 hours after it was listed...and then had to watch it for a week. Yikes!

If this is MS, this is definitely the cherry pick of my lifetime.

It will be interesting to see what it looks like in hand - if those darker areas are rub, toning, or shadows. Right now, I'm just kind of assuming it's wear and the coin will be somewhere in the mid AU range...

I think if this coin was an MS66 I might die of a heart attack.

That was my assessment when I posted to your Guess the Grade thread (almost verbatim). As I said there, I hope this works out for you! :wish luck:

If I were you and it did turn out, I would probably wet myself.

I can see the doubling from the pic.

Good luck with getting the coin. I hope you get it.

One thing I have seen over the years is that it is many times better to NOT post until you have coin in hand. Too many people may desire the same and ping the seller after doing some searching and try to scoop it out from under you.

No guess on grade as photos can hide too much or be unintentionally deceptive.

I do like the look, however, so if the price was right, good score :)

One thing I have seen over the years is that it is many times better to NOT post until you have coin in hand. Too many people may desire the same and ping the seller after doing some searching and try to scoop it out from under you.

This was my immediate reaction as well. I would delete pics and info from your posts and revisit once in hand.

Congrats on your score and good luck!

Keep us posted on that Chinese coin that you picked up Ben. I am really interested in hearing some good news on that one.

Bill

I called NGC Friday to see when it would be graded and they said probably Monday...which is past their 48 hours Express time, and past their 4 day Current Estimate time. So...I'll keep you posted. Seems like I picked the worst time of the year to get lucky and expect things to get handled quickly lol

Seems like I picked the worst time of the year to get lucky and expect things to get handled quickly lol

Yes I do believe that delays on their projected turnaround times would be considered understandably justified this time of year. I have no dog in this race but I am really hoping that you are a ^^ .

I have a couple of coins that I am considering submitting after the holidays. I am planning to wait until they are back at work and settled in for a week or two. Maybe that will help. :wishluck:

Am a bit confused. Your original post said that you hadn't received yet from seller. Now you state you're awaiting grading from NGC? So that means you've already received the coin and you then sent to NGC? Or is it the seller sent to NGC on your behalf, but it is being shipped to you? Please clarify.

Catbert .... They are two different coins we were talking about. He found a rare chinese coin in a dealers 'junk' and he sent it in for authentication and grading a while back. I was referring to that one when I was asking.

Sorry to have thrown a wrench in there.

If you've already paid for it, then posting pics can't hurt. We can't snipe you on something that you've already bought.

I'm not convinced of the DDO from those pics.... could easily have been an artifact of the lighting. Did you get more convincing photos from the seller before making the purchase? Wishing you all the best of luck, however.

I think what people were saying was that some nefarious person could look up the completed auction, contact the seller, and arrange to have them "misplace" the item, refund my money, and sell it to them at a higher price...

Sorry about the confusion, Catbert (love Dilbert, btw) - Bill was just checking in on another coin of mine that is currently at NGC on the "Express" tier. I paid silver melt for it, and if it's real, it's at least a $3k coin, probably more.

physics-fan3.14 - I'm pretty confident of the DDO based on the seller's pics. I've seen "camera shake doubling" before - this isn't it. It's a perfect match for the DDO-011. If the coin from the auction arrives safely, I'll throw up some good photos of it.

Thanks to all who have expressed support and well-wishes for this find. I know how excited I've been for other people's finds (anyone remember the guy over at CoinTalk who paid less than $5 for an MS65 or 66FB 1942/41 Mercury Dime?) but I had no idea how stressful something like this can be...I was giddy at finding the variety initially, then more and more nervous all week that I'd get sniped at the last second, now I'm nervous that something will happen when I'm so close to a great find...plus, as a recent MFA graduate, we all know I could use the money!