• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Registry Stategies

16 posts in this topic

You just inherited $100,000 and decide to sink it into your Registry type set. Which strategy would you follow?

Strategy One:

Purchase 50 $2,000 coins. This would net you a set score around 100,000

Strategy Two:

Purchase 20 $5,000 coins. This would net you a set score around 70,000

Strategy Three:

Purchase 5 $20,000 coins. This would net you a set score around 30,000

Strategy Four:

Purchase 2 $50,000 coins. This would net you a set score around 20,000

Strategy Five:

Purchase 1 $100,000 coin. This would net you a set score around 12,000

Strategy Six:

Purchase this coin . Not allowed in the type set, but very pretty!

If I decided to put together a registry set then I would go with option #1. After all, winning is everything.

However, were I to come to my senses and actually realize that registry sets are nothing more than a game of "whose &@^%#@ is bigger" and I would instead purchase coins that I liked regardless of what it would do for a registry set.

Here would be my thought, I would purchase the coins all in the same grade, you would of course have some tricky math to do to calculate what grade that would be. This way you could compare the different coins on how they are graded. This would be the most interesting for me.

• Administrator

Well, I know the answer is, "buy what you like" and that "what you like" is a personal thing. However, I'm curious on a person-by-person basis - putting registry points aside, if you DID have $100k, what WOULD you pursue? A few super-expensive coins, or many less expensive ones?

Arch

The Half is soo........ pretty.

I would go with Strategy 2, but holdback $25,000 for oportunities that might arise. I would put the $25M into Daily Money Market (through my Broker). tongue.gif

For me the interest is learning about many different types and enjoying the particular differences between types.

As time goes by I find I still love quality. However I no longer need to take that steep step up the price curve past gem quality. I can find lots of types where I can get very attractive gems for $1,000-$2,000.

Now that I'm writing this I can't see the original post and can't remember which strategy is which. But I'd choose the one where I can get lots of $2,000 coins.

I couldn't agree more than with what Carl has said. I'll admit that I do like to purchase and own very nice coins - but the single point step that causes a coin to triple or more in price is beyond my ability to discern the difference. So, I'd rather have more very nice coins than a lot less extremely nice ones.

I think that I would buy 5 of the $20K coins, and focus on those rarities that would be difficult to find any any grade (Chain Cent wtih nice planchet, 1796/97 Half dollar, and the like).

I would want to collect in the series and grade ranges that I'm interested in. The series that I'm serious about have coins tha span the range from way less than 2k to over 20k of examples in the grades I like. So, I would have to mix options 1-3! tongue.gif. I would not generally be satisfied with any wingle option. However, with the coins I already have and 100k in my pocket, I'd take option 3 so that I could pick up some of the difficult buffs in MS65. smile.gif

Hoot

p.s. The gun blueing on that 1838 bust half is stunning! wink.giflol!

I'm thinking that I also would go for the full set first and then build it from there.

why ? well how about having a full set to learn from . then when you buy more coins you'll know what to buy.and upgrading would be fun and interesting.

but if your very educated in the series your going to collect then go for # 2 or 3 and have the big coins already.

but then you better have a really good job to finish the set.

rob.

Hmmm - I wonder if NGC is inadvertantly costing collectors money. Most dealers that I trust have consistently told me one thing - it costs you money to upgrade. You are better off saving up so that when the ultimate coin is available you can buy it vice buying a 63, then a 64, then a 65 and then a 66. You lose money at every step.

By rewarding the acquisition of low value specimens (some have bonus points above market and some are not discounted), is NGC discouraging the very habit that knowledgable dealers encourage????

I think I'll start a new thread on this!

TDN,

I think this trusted advice from dealers regarding not upgrading is based on the presumption that the collectors don't know how to buy.

Perhaps that is true in the majority of cases, but there certainly are plenty of us collectors who do know how to buy right.

Knowing how to buy, btw, is the key to being a successful coin dealer. (So I've been told...)

EVP