• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC slabs posted by wmfielding

13 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

help please

hello Fellow Collectors I have a lot of details slabbed coins, I want to take to my dealer for the silver content. But I don't want to give him the coins slabbed. As he will sell them as slabbed coins and only pay me for the silver. So is there anyone out there who knows how to open the slabs without having sharp plastic shards flying all over the house? Happy collecting and may God Bless....Mike

See more journals by wmfielding

Hey Mike. The easiest way I have found to crack a slab open is to take the sharp edge of a knife and press it into each corner until the two halves separate. Once you get the four corners separated, you can slide the edge of the blade inside the slab(away from the coin) and finish popping the slab open. But please BE CAREFUL! Thankfully I have not had any major accidents and I have managed to only poke myself a time or two. Take your time until you get the hang out it. If you still don't feel comfortable with it after a time or two, try another method or you can send them to me and I would be glad to crack them open for you. Good luck!

I found an easy way of cracking the slabs with my dremel tool. I used a cut off wheel to open all 4 corners, then use a straight slot screw driver and they pop right open. Only draw back is wearing my safety goggles. I hate them over my glasses lol thank you deerfan you put me on the right track......Mike

I would like to learn your thinking in keeping the details slabs from your buyer? I appreciate your desire to remove "details" slab bed coins off the market if that is what you are doing. Over the last few years I have bought all of the quality coins for my 7070 slabbed registry set from my LCS, and all that he has left are the hundreds of slabs marked "details." I fear that it will be some time before I see more coins there that I can buy for my set since I suspect he wants to move the "details" merchandise before he replenishes his stock.

I just want to keep the details slabs off the market and the dealer I deal with (the only one within 70 miles of me) would put them up for sale in their slabs and charge a lot more than he paid for them. now I have no problem with a dealer making a profit off me but when he pays .75 cents for a 40% silver dime and them puts it in his rack for $11.95 I have a problem with that now he sells his RAW silver dimes for $1.50 that is more in line with what I can deal with....Mike

I try not to worry about what someone will do with something after I sell it to them. I would demand a higher than melt value for these coins, especially if you know he will be selling them for a price way above what an ungrade coin would sell for.

If you see this coin shop owner often he will have to know you know what he is going to do with these.

You never know he may give you $1.50 for each one, and by cracking them out you might be ruining your chance to double your money.

Also you might try selling them on eBay in a big lot with a starting price of what you would like to get for them. No fees if it doesn't sell. :banana:

the easiest way I have found to "crack" open the slab is I put it in a vise face up and tighten the vise till I hear a "crack" then turn it 90 degrees and do it once more then remove it from the vise and presto just with my fingers, pull the two halves apart. It is so easy this way and I have NEVER damaged a coin doing it this way, nor do I have shards of plastic flying around from prying. Give it a shot....

Mike

I am a rather large man with big clumsy paws..but I simply take 2 sets of pliers--place one on each end and twist ( picture holding the handles of your motorcycle or bike and turning hands in opposite directions) till the plastic cracks---then I simply worm my letter opener into a crack that is not near the coin and pry the slab open---the newer slabs have a softer plastic or film coating on it that I have not seen create shards---the old harder plastics would crack and send shards, but not the newer ones...

Takes about 3 to 5 secs of increasing pressure to snap the slab and a few secs more to peel away enough of the face plastic to free the coin undamaged----

PS: because the twisting creates force inward, when the plastic snaps it does so in equal and opposite direction outward-away from the coin. Still have never damaged a coin from this technique ( although I have dropped them afterwards with my big clumsy paws wearing those white cotton gloves...)