• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any "Star Makers" on the Board ?

56 posts in this topic

Here is my one and only Star designation that I have received on a submission Here! . Just got the grades back today! I will post images once I get the coin in hand.

Nice coin ! Congrats !

I thought a star and a "+" were basically the same thing.

If they are different, what would be better, a * or a + ?

My Morgan has a +

CoinMorgan1879Sngc66.jpg

I thought a star and a "+" were basically the same thing.

If they are different, what would be better, a * or a + ?

My Morgan has a +

CoinMorgan1879Sngc66.jpg

The star and plus designation are not synonymous. The star is awarded to coins that possess superior eye appeal regardless of how high end for the grade or not they are. The plus designation is reserved exclusively for coins that are at the higher end of the assigned grade.

My One & Only Star from a group of silver proofs I submitted to NGC

100_4410_zps76605c88.jpg

Coin Information

Date/Info: 2001 S SILVER

Denomination: 10C

Grade: PF 69* CAMEO

Additional Information

NGC Coin Price Guide: Price not available

Total Graded at 69: 9

how do we post pictures on here? i dont know how to do that. Can someone show me?

I use photobucket. You can open an account there, it's free. This will allow you to post here.

I've made 3 stars, one raw, and two that were already slabbed that I resubmitted for the designation. Trying to figure out the star will drive you crazy, as there are plenty of coins that have the star that IMO do not deserve them, while there are many that do deserve the star that don't have them. Here's the one I made raw. It came out of an original mint set card, with the reverse toned Franklin having almost exactly the same toning. I submitted them both at the same time. The obverse toner got the star while the reverse toner did not... (shrug)

Franklin58D_N66_ObObv.jpg

Franklin58D_N66Star_ObRev.jpg

how do we post pictures on here? i dont know how to do that. Can someone show me?

I use Photobucket also.

Go to Photobucket.com and open an account.

Then download pictures from your computer into that account.

After that, put your cursor over the picture in Photobucket you wish to show on the Collectors Society boards. A wheel will appear in the upper right hand corner of the picture.

Put your cursor over the wheel, and below the wheel various options will be appear.

Click on the "Get Links" option, and 4 image options will come up.

Click on the bottom option, "IMG", and you will have copied the link.

Then just paste that link into your post on these boards, and the image will appear when you submit the post.

BTW, Welcome to the Boards! :hi:

I've only had one coin come back starred; a 1957 25c proof. But it wasn't toned. Just a great bright white near UC. I'm hoping that a Rooesvelt I recently picked up on eBay will get the coveted star. But I really kinda doubt it will. What do you think?

2yv3u6d.jpg

Skyman - beautiful Frankie and IMHO very star worthy! Try resubmitting the reverse with the obverse coin. I had the same issue with two toned Peace $, one was an obverse star, the other was a non-star toned matching reverse. Rick Montgomery looked at both together and immediately gave the matching coin a star and put them both into a 2 coin holder for me...

As for the Roosie - also beautiful but I think the white dots and dark rims might hold it back but I have seen less worthy toners with stars than that one. I dont know Roosies though so I cant say if thats a rare or common toner... Good luck with it !

If the upper edge of the obverse from about 8:00 to 2:00 is as dark as the picture shows I would say no. Also, the toning is too dark on the reverse on ONE DI of ONE DIME.

From NGC: "Toned coins can be of a single color or multicolored but cannot have any areas that are dark brown, approaching black."

From the picture, it looks like that Merc is "approaching black."

If the upper edge of the obverse from about 8:00 to 2:00 is as dark as the picture shows I would say no. Also, the toning is too dark on the reverse on ONE DI of ONE DIME.

From NGC: "Toned coins can be of a single color or multicolored but cannot have any areas that are dark brown, approaching black."

From the picture, it looks like that Merc is "approaching black."

Agreed but it is lighter in person but that's exactly the area I was worried about. But then I've seen a couple of toned * Peace $ with darker rims so I'm not sure. I'll still send it in for a short Merc toned war set but I think you're probably right.

Thanks...

Its a pretty coin but I am kinda surprised at the * ... Like I said earlier Ive seen NGC give some *s to coins with darker rim toning including Peace $.

Based on what Tyler posted I didnt think that any dark rim toning would be allowed.

Perhaps they are more lenient based on the denomination.

Does anyone else have * coins with darker rim toning ?

I'm also kinda surprised at the star, based on the dark toning, but maybe the rules are different for circulated coins? The coin is undeniably beautiful in hand, with extremely strong luster for the EF grade, and it makes the toning really pop.

That being said, I've definitely seen prettier busts with no stars, so....

I see no prongs on the image so the coin was graded pre-edgeview -- could it have been graded pre star? If not maybe they thought it was too dark as they are tougher on darker coins. I think it certainly deserves a star.