• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

3 NEWPS from the Houston Money Show

15 posts in this topic

Hi Folks,

I managed to pick up 4 Newps at the Houston Money Show a couple weeks ago. This show always has many of the premier dealers attending and a Heritage Auction. This means that there are many good people to talk to, and good variety of coins to examine. This year's show was not attended well from what I could tell. Part of this was the bad weather in Houston, temps in the 30s and 40s. Southeast Texans just can't survive in such extreme T's so hard to make it to downtown Houston for a coin show. (shrug)

I managed to have great conversations with alot of people we all know here - Mark Feld, Win Callendar, Charmy Harker, Dave Wnuck to name a few, and meet NGC Board member dadams. I viewed around 500 lots from the HA auction, and targeted one to bid agressive on (for which I was strongly outbid). The quality of items on the bourse was spectacular as usual, I just wish more collectors would have turned up so that the dealers would have been more successful.

I managed to get one indian cent and 3 half dimes. My wife tells me to collect big coins, but I just love the half dimes and at this show, there was a plethora of quality for the grade examples, at least from what I can tell. I passed on one that I asked a dealer to bring to the show for me, in hand, I can see some issues that were not in the stunning images online. Just another lesson as to why you must see in hand before buying. Each one below has a nice cartwheel flash when rotating under the light. One of the half dimes is off to CAC right now for consideration, but here are images of the other 3 below. All in NGC holders......

Best, HT

From Charmy:

1876ICNGCMS64CAC_zps7dd65745.jpg

From David Weygant:

1831hdNGCMS63_zps7bedbdb4.jpg

From All That Glitters/Brian Holt:

1834hdNGCMS64LM2_zpsa6fc8c12.jpg

Wow beautiful group of coins!

I love them all, but the 1831 half dime is my favorite, and it definitely looks PQ ! Looks better than MS63 to me..