• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just an observation...

55 posts in this topic

If you come over to here from the forums ATS or from even some of the non-affilitated forums it's like you're walking into a cemetery. I wonder why that is. I notice there's a fair amount of crossover among the forums ATS and the non-affiliated forums, but not from those forums to here. I don't think it has anything to do with the nature of the threads we start, here, and I certainly don't think is has anything to do with any lack of respect for our host (except, perhaps, understandably, from ATS). There's something in this recipe that's missing, though, I'd think. Putting my finger on it, that's a different matter.

It seems that every forum has a different culture. Things here seem more sedate and refined than ATS where there is more controversy and drama. Both are great forums and both have much to offer. There is no reason not to belong to both forums.

I like this forum better that ATS, but you just can't very many conversations started here. I post messages here, and I would like to have some Q & As here, but it just doesn't happen. I find this site much easier to use, and you don't have to be afraid that the monortors are to ban you if you don't tow the company line. It's just that most threads don't to catch fire.

We don't have any "Why dealers drink!" threads (shrug)

This is basically my first thought in different words. I venture both sides myself but I find it hard to maneuver thru posts that don't have a lot of real meaning to them ats. Most posts here are clear and to the point which actually makes it a little less active but more about meaningful topics. It stays busier ats because of all the misc posts that get brought up. I get surprised that soo many people that do post there because there are soo many that are easier to criticize than help. At least in my personal opinion.

• Administrator
There's something in this recipe that's missing, though, I'd think. Putting my finger on it, that's a different matter.

There is definitely something to this...

If anyone has any suggestions about how NGC can improve its message board, or any of its web services for that matter, post it here or drop me a line!

There's something in this recipe that's missing, though, I'd think. Putting my finger on it, that's a different matter.

If anyone has any suggestions about how NGC can improve its message board, or any of its web services for that matter, post it here or drop me a line!

I think Scott just answered your question Kurt. This forum has always been a readily available informative, not so chaotic, place to enjoy collecting. Information passed by our hands-on host ,willing to always make this an enjoyable place to visit and take part in the community. The mentality ATS or so it seems to me, is let's all pile on when something goes wrong. While here there is always a hand to help out. (thumbs u

I really don't see nothing wrong with this forum. It's been like this since I've joined and one of the main reasons I've stayed. I joined ats about the same time I joined here. My posts there are about 800 compared to my over 15,000 here. In my opinion, there is a much more respectable attitude here that keeps some really very knowledgeable people here. If it ain't broke then don't fix it!!

Scott,

This forums functionality is far superior to ATS and others I have visited and, as far as I am concerned, the infrastructure is second to none. I have always liked the UBB forums. Very stable and user friendly.

This forum has many very knowledgeable numismatist that are eager to help someone understand the hobby a little better and many of these are also ones that have the patience and tolerance to overlook a mistake(s) by a new member and not hold it against them till eternity.

However, until some of the less tolerant are able to get beyond telling new members and collectors to the hobby "If you want to be like that, go someplace else. CoinTalk is a good place for people like you.", when they were seriously just trying to learn in the grading process, well .... that seems counter productive to mentoring and sustaining a 'friendly' forum where you eventually feel that any new post you make must contain monumental information that will forever alter the course of numismatics for fear of ridicule. You end up with a forum that is way to serious, when collecting coins is supposed to be fun.

Another outstanding quality to this forum over others, which has already been mentioned, is the fact that moderation and administrative action is very tolerant and used sparingly. This allows for open dialogue and healthy discussion without fear of the ban hammer.

I will also add that recently I was discouraged by some of the a fore mentioned members to the point of throwing in the towel and selling every thing I had and leaving the pretentious to their personal domain or exclusive club. However I have received numerous public as well as private words of encouragement to not give up on this hobby simply because of a few 'bad apples'. I appreciated each and everyone of the supportive words.

I do not think I will give up on this forum or this hobby. NGC has the best forum. It just needs a little bit of levity from time to time, imho.

Architecht used to be very 'proactive' in consolidating topics and asking what collectors want and needed on a regular basis, keeping us informed of any changes or updates. I know he hasn't been around much, but he was a tremendous asset to these forums. Find another 'key' person with his talents and it will no doubt improve moral.

This forum has always been more lightly attended that ATS, for no reason I can identify.

Personally, I like it over here better - the "crowd" may be smaller, but the "signal to noise ratio" is so much higher and, of course, due to various mis-adventures, there are people here who don't post ATS anymore.

I frequent this board at least daily for information and quick education. Frankly, I click US Coins and Numismatic General and rarely have the time to investigate further.

I happen to own a website similar ( poker related) in that mine also lets registered members leave posts and mine has 2 topic lines that get all the traffic. If the others didn't work, no one would even know.

I seldom venture ats.

What I'd like to see is a combination, say: US Coins and General Numismatics (even Hey Buddy). Maybe combine Ask NGC and/or NCS.

In other words try to have more items of interest at the visitors fingertips when they arrive. Navigating every topic takes time that most just don't have.

Another suggestion might be to have a shout box to remind one another of items of interest that might otherwise get overlooked.

Things like items for sale and upcoming events are excellent topics for a shout box.

I frequent this board at least daily for information and quick education. Frankly, I click US Coins and Numismatic General and rarely have the time to investigate further.

I happen to own a website similar ( poker related) in that mine also lets registered members leave posts and mine has 2 topic lines that get all the traffic. If the others didn't work, no one would even know.

I seldom venture ats.

What I'd like to see is a combination, say: US Coins and General Numismatics (even Hey Buddy). Maybe combine Ask NGC and/or NCS.

In other words try to have more items of interest at the visitors fingertips when they arrive. Navigating every topic takes time that most just don't have.

Another suggestion might be to have a shout box to remind one another of items of interest that might otherwise get overlooked.

Things like items for sale and upcoming events are excellent topics for a shout box.

In a way I can see your point but once you start combining threads together to cover more topics, you end up with all the misc posts to go thru like it's setup ATS. This is what is more confusing to me ATS and trying to search for a specific thread I was watching. I wind up going thru 3 pages of misc posts just to find one that was started earlier that day. I don't always use all the forum topics here but I like being able to go straight to one specific topic when I want to. Jmo

Honestly, ATS is much busier. But just because it's busier does that mean there's more meat? I personally believe there is a lot of fluff ATS. The fluff here seems to go by the wayside here and over there the fluff just keeps coming, so much so that some important and interesting topics are almost looked over because they move down so quickly.

Seems to me that there are a lot of collectors out there that want to be in the "in crowd". Therefore if they spend more money they are now with the "in crowd". You know how it is, the freshmen want to impress the seniors. Personally, I own plenty of PCGS coins. Did I buy them just because they were PCGS? Nope, I bought them because they were the right coin for me. I also own plenty of NGC coins btw.

I like the style of these boards, the organization is much nicer. I like the fact that when I've already read a thread that I can click on it and it brings me to the last unread reply. I mentioned that ATS once and almost got my head bit off! lol

We have lots of members who hang out both here and ATS, I like those guys a lot, they have a lot to share and they are quality men. I would put myself out there by saying that not only are they quality men on the boards but in real life as well. You just can't fake being a good guy for as long as I've known them.

I don't believe much if any change is needed. I haven't seen the abuse that has been reported to be happening. Or maybe I didn't realize that it was abuse? At any rate, when someone gets on my nerves I tend to ignore them and what they have to say rather then attack them. On occasion I have overstepped and I have made amends for those times, at least I believe I have. If I have ever offended anyone in any way that I don't know of, I'm just a PM away! :)

Thanks NGC for all you do for us and for providing a location to share and learn.

Honestly, ATS is much busier. But just because it's busier does that mean there's more meat? I personally believe there is a lot of fluff ATS. The fluff here seems to go by the wayside here and over there the fluff just keeps coming, so much so that some important and interesting topics are almost looked over because they move down so quickly.

Seems to me that there are a lot of collectors out there that want to be in the "in crowd". Therefore if they spend more money they are now with the "in crowd". You know how it is, the freshmen want to impress the seniors. Personally, I own plenty of PCGS coins. Did I buy them just because they were PCGS? Nope, I bought them because they were the right coin for me. I also own plenty of NGC coins btw.

I like the style of these boards, the organization is much nicer. I like the fact that when I've already read a thread that I can click on it and it brings me to the last unread reply. I mentioned that ATS once and almost got my head bit off! lol

We have lots of members who hang out both here and ATS, I like those guys a lot, they have a lot to share and they are quality men. I would put myself out there by saying that not only are they quality men on the boards but in real life as well. You just can't fake being a good guy for as long as I've known them.

I don't believe much if any change is needed. I haven't seen the abuse that has been reported to be happening. Or maybe I didn't realize that it was abuse? At any rate, when someone gets on my nerves I tend to ignore them and what they have to say rather then attack them. On occasion I have overstepped and I have made amends for those times, at least I believe I have. If I have ever offended anyone in any way that I don't know of, I'm just a PM away! :)

Thanks NGC for all you do for us and for providing a location to share and learn.

whssign.gif

Very well put.

I started seriously collecting coins only 1 year ago. Early on, I visited many websites looking for a "home". I found myself visiting this one more frequently than any of the others for many of the reasons mentioned above.

As far as the "mechanics' of the site, IMO, this is by far one of the easiest to navigate. ATS, navigation is painful. I don't think any changes need to be made from that perspective.

The members of this site also seem to be more objective when it comes to collecting coins. ATS, there is a clear bias and it just rubs me the wrong way, so I stopped visiting. I've learned so much about this hobby by visiting this site on a daily basis and using the recommendations from the many members. I have PM'd many asking questions and found everyone to be helpful and interested in helping a newbie. I do find it a bit intimidating to post on this site, primarily because of the knowledgeable members. Not that they've been unfriendly or anything like that. It's that I don't have the depth of knowledge possessed by most members and I only post when I think I can add something to the content. As I've only been collecting for a short period of time, it's not easy to expound on comments already made by the more seasoned collectors.

I will continue to visit here on a daily basis and read the threads to further educate myself. At some point in time, I'll feel more comfortable offering my opinions, but to date, I'll just choose my spots carefully.

Scott,

Not sure what could be done quickly/easily. Sometimes it is just a mindset and sometimes it is the 'secret sauce".

I visit the PCGS boards multiple times daily, but have cut back on posting there due to trolls, whiners, hypesters, and just overall lack of new things. It still keeps busy though.

Part of what keeps it going, I think, is the crossover mentality into the registry there. That is what spurns many of the new purchases, looks at new items, and pictures/postings.

Some of what gets it going is the Truview set...people able to show off very nice pictures of their coins that they get truviewed. I haven't checked recently, but awhile ago when I checked, NGC wasn't offering anything on part with the Truview experience. Maybe look into that? There are some excellent photographers who may be willing to do it.

One of the downsides here, which, ironically, people list as a downside about the PCGS boards, is the amount of whining/attacking those from the PCGS boards. Unflattering comments, attributing any opinion to being a PCGS groupie, etc. I think there is some truth to it, but the same can be said for some here...that they are 1-sided and closed to any other viewpoint.

A plus to these boards, that I am sure is part of the reason the PCGS boards are much more jumping, is the lack of all the ebay threads. Count 'em up and they are a significant amount of postings....though, I am tired of them and have been for awhile.

If people would stop dumping on those that come here, particularly without having been banned first, from the other boards, then maybe people would be more willing to come/stay. There is just a big pile on attitude, at times, though, whenever someone active on the PCGS boards come here and posts as well. One of the reasons I don't create many topics and that I don't post here as much. I may not be an expert, but I am pretty secure in my collecting and knowledge (always willing to learn more), and don't need hand holding anymore, so I will often just not say anything.

I do like helping others, however, but when I watch how some folks act, I just pull away from wanting to help (I take it to PMs instead).

Other things, likely out of control for being changed.....

* Moderns and high grades (and high values) make a good portion of posts there. NGC and modern grades aren't exactly seen as high value. Less "challenge" and therefore less postings.

* Toned SAEs....it has decreased in posting volume there, but these are always a fun topic. With NGC, the rumor is that recent SAEs that are toned won't be holdered. True? SAEs can tone, naturally, in 6 months or so, just by leaving on display in the open air. I found a 2006 in a USMint SAE tube (1/3 full as I took out a number of them) with the top coin half covered in toning on the obverse. Nothing else in there but a few other 2006 SAEs.

* People here complain about lack of posts but don't bother to think of posts that could help others. Take photos, think of questions you didn't know for awhile, etc. Instead, I see people here go to the PCGS boards and get info (and sometimes bring I here).

* get some fun contests going. PCGS doesn't do it, but why couldn't NGC? Doesn't have to be elaborate or expensive, but there are different types of things to do.

* Get creative with submissions. Do you want more? I see almost nothing in the threads about submission questions or reasons TO submit to NGC. I am a left-coaster, so the delay is a negative for me, but maybe others would benefit?

* Have someone from NGC be more active on the forums. NGC does a GREAT job of segregating into break out forums for certain things (Ask NGC, etc), but that pulls away from posts in the main coin forum. If appropriate, bring the posts, and questions, back into the coin forum for learning and discussion.

Just some thoughts since it was tossed out there.

• Administrator

Thanks for all the great feedback everyone. Personally, I have always felt that we have a great message board and that there is mountains of wonderful information here. The participants are top notch. We use the best message board software and have a really intelligent and well-implemented moderation policy.

The only negative that I see is that the rate of thread creation could/should be higher. I'm pleased that others interpret this as the best threads rising to the top and staying visible. That may be the correct conclusion, and I may be off the mark.

We probably could have more NGC involvement but we do have Ask NGC. David Lange and I pop on U.S. Coins and Numismatic General from time to time. Architecht's role fostering the forums was invaluable. He's an important guy at a big agency so understandably we can't rely on his involvement all the time.

Ask NGC is actually a pretty good resource. I hadn't looked at it in a while, so I jumped on and answered a few questions tonight. People are asking insightful questions. The problem is that they appear outside the U.S. Coins and Numismatic General categories and aren't open for discussion. It might make sense to move threads into open categories for discussion from time to time.

Also, one of the coolest resources of the Collectors Society and NGC Message Boards is the NGC Journals. There are a lot of interesting discussion happening there and it the posting structure encourages good authorship. I think it's one of the most underrated site features that we offer.

Joe, I would have never guessed that you had only been collecting for a year. Please take that as a compliment.

Thanks. I did take it as a compliment. I've spent a lot of time learning from all the members on this site, reading books on the coins I'm interested in purchasing and viewing thousands of coins each month.

Again, I appreciate the compliment.

Scott, hey, welcome to my little thread. Thanks for dropping in. I usually get with any luck like five replies to my threads. This is the most replies I think I ever got!

OK, seriously, let me just say this. Do you know what I think the difference is between here and ATS? In one word, "marketing." That's why all the big dealers and high rollers and experts are over there. I think since I've been here I've seen like one of their experts come over here. Somebody said something he didn't like and he got scared and went back. Do you know what you are? Look at your logo. That's NGC. You take those scales seriously. That's what defines you. Not marketing. A fair shake.

I can go on and on, but I don't want to get into trouble. :)

Kurt, in case you haven't noticed, it's pretty hard to get in trouble over here and when you do get in trouble it's usually the board members self moderating vice the moderators banning without specific aim.

One thing I would like to see added is a "like" button for a post. One other site I visit to discuss coins has it and it's nice. It's an easy way to let the poster know you agree with his/her view or enjoy the picture of his/her coin.

Both PCGS and NGC have experts available, but it seems that NGC allows them to resond to posts and help members. The only PCGS expert I recall posting is their photographer.

Both PCGS and NGC have experts available, but it seems that NGC allows them to resond to posts and help members. The only PCGS expert I recall posting is their photographer.

Depends on how you define "expert".

HRH has stopped posting.

DW has stopped posting, it seems.

Julian used to post but I haven't seen him do it in awhile (he took a lot of heat with his ebay sales and pricing...always pricing PCGS problem coins at higher than retail non-problem pricing and stating that the "problem" notation was incorrect....that type of thing).

Wondercoin still posts.

There may be others, but I do believe that Julian and Mitch are considered a couple of their experts still.

Kurt, in case you haven't noticed, it's pretty hard to get in trouble over here and when you do get in trouble it's usually the board members self moderating vice the moderators banning without specific aim.

Dude, I don't want to go on and on about ATS. It's compromising to the hosts, here, when somebody runs on like that. I made my point. Good enough for me.

No, there's another one who tried to get his licks in, here. I believe they're just accustomed to not being challenged very much. They come over here, it's a little intimidating. I suppose that's understandable.