• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Let's Reminisce! Post a coin that kicked off your collection obsession!

22 posts in this topic

Re-Imaged this 1825 O-112 (AU55) that I bought from my local dealer over 7 years ago now. Now I'm obsessed with Busts!

1825O-112Big.jpg

1825O-112rBig.jpg

Pics I think are bigger on my site for those who want to check it out...

http://www.maibockaddict.com/1825-o-112-r3-capped-bust-half-dollar

My grandmother gave me a bunch of old IHC's when I was 10ish. I polished those babys up bright as could be haha. I still have all those in an old folding type album somewhere but as I dont have a pic here is a pic of one of my IHC's in place of the many I ruined.

1896-Comp.jpg

Well, this is it for me. I bought it straight from the mint back in high school for something like $10 or $15 if I remember. Interestingly, it remains the only product I've ever purchased straight from the mint, the only proof coin in my collection, and the only slabbed SAE that I currently own.

Obviously my collecting tastes have gone a completely different direction. I wondered when I sent it in if it would get a 69 or 70. lol. Oh well, I had it slabbed mostly to protect it as a sentimental piece:

1987s-1-PR68DCAM-up_zps30edc90b.jpg

My first coin was a 3CS, something like this. My grandmother gave it to me in 1960 and I was fascinated. Never even heard of them before.

I kept it for many years, before a burglar stole it, along with the rest of my collection, in 1981. I was heartbroken but I never lost the passion.

Lance.

18623CSNGCMS66obv_zps405ebb3c.jpg18623CSNGCMS66rev_zpsd009f898.jpg

An 1882 CC GSA like this one given to me by my Dad when I was 9 or 10---it is very sentimental to me.

1882a_zps3ffc8b1e.jpg

Also a raw XF 1940-S Walker that I bought in my 20s.

My first certified coin was an NGC 16-D MS 62 purchased around 1995.

The oldest coin still in my set is a 17 D obv. MS 63 purchased around 1997.

This 1805 dime was the first high grade early U. S. coin that I had ever seen. It got me hooked on better grade U.S. coinage and my interest in forming a type of these pieces grew from there.

1805DimeO.jpg1805DimeR.jpg

I can't post photos of my first coin because I sold it with the rest of my collection in 1964. I can't even remember what the date/mm was.

With that said, it was a Morgan dollar. I won it in a pool game in 1956. I had never seen one before, so I immediately went to the bank where I had my savings account and asked a teller if she had any like it. She spread a whole bunch of them across the counter, and I picked out four more with the remainder of my winnings. I do remember one that caught my eye was an 1893CC because it was the year my maternal grandmother was born. Every time I won some money at the poolroom, I would make it a point to go to the bank and get more at face value. By the time I sold my collection, I had accumulated about 800 Morgan dollars at face value.

Chris

Bought this coin back in 2003. Always wanted a Dahlonega piece being I lived so close. But kinda like Lays, nobody can own just one. Although a low grade common date Dahlonega coin, it is without a doubt the most expensive coin I have ever purchased.

1852-D%20HALF%20EAGLE%20PCGS%20VF25%20V.jpg

This coin belonged to my Dad's Dad(my Paw-Paw). From what my Dad told me, my Paw-Paw received this dollar back in the early-mid 50's as a promotional piece. I have no information on who gave it to him or what exactly the sticker was intended to promote. Interestingly enough, my mom's dad(my Poppa) also owned an 1897-O Morgan Dollar in about the same condition as this one. But it was my Poppa's 1897-O Morgan which kicked off my collecting pursuits.

1897-OPFPMorganObv_zps1d10cf40.jpg

1897-OPFPMorganRev_zps9b05b981.jpg

Buffalo circulation finds started me off. And my mother was a school cafeteria cashier in the 1960's and she would pull out all the buffaloes given her by the students. Most were poor, but a few you could still make out the date. And a mintmark ? You really looked hard.

I I was fishing with my dad at "Mays Point" inside Montezuma refuge in upstate NY. I was young. Anyway, I went into the shop to buy some pork rinds and the guy gave me a dollar and change back. The dollar was a Peace Dollar. It was the coolest thing I EVER saw.

I got the bug but I only was collecting common circulated wheats and per 65 silver with the occasional merc or buffalo Nickle. This was because I had no idea you could buy old coins since there aren't any local shops near me and this was pre-computer era.

I still have alot of the buffs and wheats in a hoard I have stashed away.

It wasn't until a few years ago did I learn about online purchasing and coin shows and stuff.

I still have NEVER been to a show. Don't have too many around