• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Would You Pay? 1893-s Morgan

21 posts in this topic

I want to be clear--nothing is for sale right now. Not hearing any offers or anything.

So I am considering selling one of my treasures. PCGS AU 50 1893-s Morgan.

Now I guess this is good place to put this but before I even put this on the market (If I do) I sort of want to test what to expect. What I would like is to hear what people who would be potential/theoretical buyers would offer. This is not some binding deal. Heck it is not even a soft offer because nothing is for sale. I'm just curious what any of you that would snatch this coin up IF it were to come for sale would offer for it.

Drop your thoughts. If you don't want to post it on the thread you can PM to keep it private I guess.

Why even put it in the marketplace if you'r not wanting to sell it. If you'r just looking at what people would pay, put it on ebay with an outrageous reserve price and see where it goes.

Here's a link to one.

ebay link

That one is at roughly half of its estimated value.

Yea, the auction still has a little ways to go. Just something to watch and see where it ends.

I was sure it was a fake but it looks legit and it is ALWAYS a good sign when there are not past auction records for the coin. That is where these cons get the authentic PCGS cert # to make fakes.

Here's a link to one.

ebay link

Yea, the auction still has a little ways to go. Just something to watch and see where it ends.

I was sure it was a fake but it looks legit and it is ALWAYS a good sign when there are not past auction records for the coin. That is where these cons get the authentic PCGS cert # to make fakes.

Wrong, that particular piece couldn't be more of a fake, as is the holder it resides in. For starters, the "3" in the date is far off what it should be.

Here's a link to one.

ebay link

first, there is past auction info for this coin (Heritage), from 2006, sold for 18,975

it was right there on the PCGS certificate verification page!!

link here!

second,

parts of the seller's description make me see red flags everywhere (along with the horrible pics which she uses to sell a $20k coin, and lousy description) :

This is a coin from a friends personal collection that I'm working on buying a little at a time. Guaranteed authentic very nice and rare coin. Graded by PCGS AU50 will ship the coin as soon as payment is made. If you have any questions please ask good luck thank you. I will consider offers but please be serious and real offers I know what the coin is worth and I'm starting low to create action. Only a one day auction and that is because I know it will bring the same no matter how many days I list it. Again if you wish to make a serious offer please do so as soon as you can because someone may offer what I'm looking for and I may end it and sell it. Thank you

the slab pic seem to be taken from the heritage sale page, so it does look right. but the coin pics (at least the obverse pic; the reverse pic is a mess!) look different than the original coin sold in 06' and the coin just doesn't look right!

not 100% sure it's a fake, but i would not touch it.

Here's a link to one.

ebay link

first, there is past auction info for this coin (Heritage), from 2006, sold for 18,975

link here!

second,

parts of the seller's description make me see red flags everywhere (along with the horrible pics which she uses to sell a $20k coin, and lousy description) :

This is a coin from a friends personal collection that I'm working on buying a little at a time. Guaranteed authentic very nice and rare coin. Graded by PCGS AU50 will ship the coin as soon as payment is made. If you have any questions please ask good luck thank you. I will consider offers but please be serious and real offers I know what the coin is worth and I'm starting low to create action. Only a one day auction and that is because I know it will bring the same no matter how many days I list it. Again if you wish to make a serious offer please do so as soon as you can because someone may offer what I'm looking for and I may end it and sell it. Thank you

the slab pic seem to be taken from the heritage sale page, so it does look right. but the coin pics (at least the obverse pic; the reverse pic is a mess!) look different than the original coin sold in 06' and the coin just doesn't look right!

Well the one time I let my guard down. I entered the code and I swear I did not see any past auction records.

The 3 looked all right to me but guess need to look again.

I mean should we be reporting this then?

Here's a link to one.

ebay link

link here!

second,

Well the one time I let my guard down. I entered the code and I swear I did not see any past auction records.

The 3 looked all right to me but guess need to look again.

I mean should we be reporting this then?

I would only report it if I had proof it was fake, not because I think it's fake.

Ok I just looked at it again. I pulled up the time this coin was at auction:

http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?hdnJumpToLot=1&saleNo=420&lotNo=1426&x=0&y=0#124124256

I compared pictures of the coin at auction and the one know at ebay. They appear identical. The horizontal mark sort of leads out of the ear and has smaller sort of tilted second horizontal mark just above it is also present on the coin on ebay.

If this coin is a fake it is a damn good one.

http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?hdnJumpToLot=1&saleNo=420&lotNo=1426&x=0&y=0#124124256

I compared pictures of the coin at auction and the one know at ebay. They appear identical. The horizontal mark sort of leads out of the ear and has smaller sort of tilted second horizontal mark just above it is also present on the coin on ebay.

The auction has 3 pics right?

#1 the slab pic - looks like it was taken from HA website. So if it looks fine, or looks identical to the other pic, it's cause it IS the other pic.

#2 the obverse - looks fine I guess, although it could have been taken off a past auction page as well. Not clear enough to compare to other pics. I CANNOT FIND the hit above the first star on the eBay pic, although it is present on the HA pic.

#3 the reverse - was this pic taken with a potato? Even I can do better. And I suck at imaging coins. Hard to believe a pic like this would be used to sell a $20k coin.

Yet I have no real proof this coin or this holder are fake, so I would not report.

But as I said , I would stay away and not touch this coin.

Going back to the OP's question, I would think even if you found the range of estimated prices realized for a 93-S in AU50, it will depend on the eye appeal of your coin where in this range you're standing. It could be a big difference.

But to get a general idea of the price, I would do as suggested in the other comments - check HA, TT, and also GC and eBay for past auctions (as recent as possible) realized prices and average them out.

The coin is real because the "borrowed" picture is real. There is nothing to suggest that this is the coin you will get. As being discussed ATS, a PCGS au50 1893-s was reported to eBay as being a fake. The same seller relisted a coin using these borrowed pics. I don't believe that he/she has the coin in hand and you will probably get a POS.

Lets see your 1893-s Red Llama. How can we value it without even a picture?

We need more than its a damn good one...

Lets see your 1893-s Red Llama. How can we value it without even a picture?

We need more than its a damn good one...

Good point. I think that 93s got removed. I'm on Thanksgiving break but I'll be back to the house next Sat afternoon so I'll post then. If I forget somebody send me a PM

If the coin isn't for sale, I don't see a good reason to start a thread about it on this forum. And if or once it is for sale, you would be much better served by posting images AND an asking price. It's not like the coin is so rare or esoteric that you can't arrive at a price for it.

Hopefully yours is not one of several counterfeits that I have seen on Ebay or elsewhere in the not too distant past.