• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

just another problem coin by JTO

5 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

When does is a coin go from having where to having a "scratch"?

This poor excuse for a coin has been given the scarlet letter of numismatics, the details grade with the NGC purple insert. Exactly when the coin goes from having where to being "scratched" it is not clear to me. I brought this coin because its dreaded defect is essentially unnoticeable in hand. What do you think?

14707.jpg

See more journals by JTO

I like the coin. Each scratch. worn spot tells a story.

IMHO, I see some noticeable scratches overall and on the Obverse some serious worn spots. With that said, I still like this coin's appearance.

My personal argument with NGC is that a coin could be viewed by five difference graders and, in theory, receive five different grades.

As mentioned many times on the site, grading is subject to the inspector who happens to be the one who reviews the coins. Even during the "final inspection" of the coin "chance" is drawn into the equation. Again, IMHO

In the end, we have to accept the final grade and move onward; either resubmitting to NGC, or to another TPG, or placing the coin where you feel best as to it's final resting place.

By the way, great images of this coin. Did you do the photography yourself?

Semper Fi !

Jack

Looks to me like NGC has given it the proper grade. It is still good for the 1890 CC slot in your set even though it has been scratched with a staple or something on the obverse.

1000's of dollars are lost in numimatics every year with people and dealers still using 2X2 cardboard holders with improper staples in them.

With Details---Scratched it is still a nice looking piece. :)

That is still a beautiful coin and well photographed. I recently bough a 1846O seated liberty dollar that came back from PCGS as genuine due to some very minor scratches. I did not pay extra to get it slabbed because I feel it will probably resell for more as a raw coin if I decide to put it on the market some day. ~jack

When does is a coin go from having where to having a "scratch"?

This poor excuse for a coin has been given the scarlet letter of numismatics, the details grade with the NGC purple insert. Exactly when the coin goes from having where to being "scratched" it is not clear to me. I brought this coin because its dreaded defect is essentially unnoticeable in hand. What do you think?

14707.jpg

See more journals by JTO

I agree JTO- I have seen a lot of scratched, and I mean OBVIOUSLY scratched, coins in straigh grade major slabs and when you see something so subtle get a details tomb it is upsetting. I have a registry set and have had a few tough grades but I have had just as many go in my favor. The last large group submitted I got back about four graded higher than I expected as well as two that came back straight-graded that I thought were problem coins, so it does balance out over time. The only one in that group that took a big hit was only about an $800 loss on paper, but the others added up to a lot more on the positive side. In closing, if you don't put aside differences you won't enjoy the hobby, and there is just too much to explore and enjoy in numismatics to worry about what something is or what it is worth- I think the coins are beautiful and rare and that is what draws me to them, dollars be damned in the end. You still have a beautiful coin so if the slab really bothers you, take it back out and put it in capital plastic of a quality flip and ENJOY my friend!