• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Final value fees on shipping??

17 posts in this topic

I haven't sold lately on ebay until this past week. I got billed Final Value fees for shipping! That seems like a crock. Now we have to estimate that fee in the shipping too? Man!!!!!!

I hear that beginning in the 1st quarter of 2014 they are going to start charging per key stroke and in the 4th quarter they hope to have the technology in place to implement a new fee schedule based on thoughts alone - no key strokes needed.

:/

final value fees on shipping been going on for a couple years at least - started when eBay decided they just could not close auctions fast enough with 'high' shipping fees and low selling price - like a BIN for a SAE for $1 with $34 shipping. The good news is if you also use eBay shipping to purchase labels, you get it cheaper than the post office will give you - so even paying final value fees on shipping, with discount is better than standing in line at post office. Did you notice how PAYPAL is getting a couple cuts? from seller and post office...

I hate these fees on shipping fees, but unfortunately greedy eBay sellers have caused this new fee, Selling items for $1 and charging $300 for shipping to avoid the FVF on the item selling price.

eBay tried to take care of the problem but I guess they had enough of it and decided to charge a fee on the shipping fee as well as the sale price to take care of it.

There's a "report item" button that people could use to report items with excessive shipping charges, but it was not enough.

I haven't sold lately on ebay until this past week. I got billed Final Value fees for shipping! That seems like a crock. Now we have to estimate that fee in the shipping too? Man!!!!!!

Yes, and this is just one of the many reasons that I hate feeBay and do not feel badly when I see sellers conducting sales off of eBay to avoid their fees. EBay claims that their policy is meant to prevent people from charging high shipping fees to circumvent eBay fees, but they could just as easily exempt small amounts from it (i.e. reasonable shipping charges- it would be so easy to program a formula to set an amount tailored to each listing).. It's just an excuse to make money.

I know this may seem a bit childish, but whenever I print a shipping label through them, I make sure to cut off the "preferred shipping service of eBay" and PayPal advertisements at the bottom. I don't want them having any free advertising on my packages/my dime.

Edited to add: And Bobby, here is where it is very interesting: buyers become angered when you charge higher shipping charges to offset the FVF charges on the shipping collected and will leave you less than 5 star shipping ratings. At a certain level, this will kill any discount that you would have for top rated seller discount. It is a perpetual cycle that favors eBay to the detriment of the seller.

I hate these fees on shipping fees, but unfortunately greedy eBay sellers have caused this new fee, Selling items for $1 and charging $300 for shipping to avoid the FVF on the item selling price.

Yes but eBay is just as greedy/bad. It would be easy to screen such listings with software with minimal effort. For instance, any shipping charges exempt from the final value feee would be less than X% of the listing, or it could factor in Priority Mail and Registered Mail costs at certain value levels for prices realized and use the insurance formulas provided by the USPS to create at least a partial exemption from FVF fees.

I find it hard to believe that eBay cannot create a software remedy when it can create a software applet the punishes you for not selling within the last couple months (by holding your funds up to 21 days even when you have a perfect selling record, have previously satisfied their requirements, and your only "fault" is that you haven't sold at least 25 items or some ridiculous number within the last 90 days).

I apologize in advance for my rant.

What seems to be screwy is that I didn't even put my own shipping charges. When I picked priority mail for shipping, ebay calculated the shipping for my item themselves and then charges a final value for it. That's where the BS comes in for me. I could understand if I put an outrageous shipping charge, but the automated shipping charges weren't even enough to cover the actual shipping. I sold a kindle that the priority shipping charge was actually $3 more than what ebays automated system put in. I actually lost approx. $4 with the fee.

I have always been able to enter a custom value for shipping (I always post in the U.S. Coin section if this makes a difference) and you should be able to exempt out of any automated calculation of shipping charges. If you are using the short listing form, there is also a longer form with more options (or at least that is my understanding).

I have always been able to enter a custom value for shipping (I always post in the U.S. Coin section if this makes a difference) and you should be able to exempt out of any automated calculation of shipping charges. If you are using the short listing form, there is also a longer form with more options (or at least that is my understanding).

Probably an oversight on my part.

it would be so easy to program a formula to set an amount tailored to each listing).. It's just an excuse to make money.

Dead on accuracy there. It wasn't as simple as saying that the people abusing the system was what caused the current change it was a combination of that and eBay's keen eye and ability to see an opportunity to further increase revenue. They just simply made lemonade from lemons.

I make sure to cut off the "preferred shipping service of eBay" and PayPal advertisements at the bottom. I don't want them having any free advertising on my packages/my dime.

You are not alone. I always take the extra time to trim it down and get as much of eBay off the label as possible.

I consider shipping a variable cost like sellers fees, and packaging. It then becomes part of the pricing equation.

I simply prefer to offer free shipping and avoid entanglements about shipping cost.

The packaging and shipping cost with tracking even without insurance is easily $5.

Many large coin business that advertise in CW simply charge $5 for shipping on items under $500. Another rule of thumb is how Teletrade calculates their shipping tackon.

I know everyone dislikes the fees involved in eBay, and you'll probably all hate me for this, but recently they have done a good job lowering the fees, with as many free listings as they are offering, sometimes free addons depending on the category, and they changed it to a flat rate now didn't they? No more 18 percent on one category and 10 percent on another for no reason

I know everyone dislikes the fees involved in eBay, and you'll probably all hate me for this, but recently they have done a good job lowering the fees, with as many free listings as they are offering, sometimes free addons depending on the category, and they changed it to a flat rate now didn't they?

My recollection is that they recently raised the final value fee for U.S. Coin sales, at least, by 1% to 10%. In most instances, for many eBayers, this greatly exceeds the trivial fees for listing enhancements and listing fees, which usually entail more than a few cents at best.

I wouldn't really complain as much, except that I resent eBay generally for what I believe are unfair practices that penalize sellers, among other things.