• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Investor v Collector at Auction posted by JTO

12 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Which coin would you pick?

I paid a bit of a premium price for this coin that, unfortunately, happened to be in a PCGS holder with a CAC sticker. These slabs attract the wrong kind of bidder... the investor. (I am of course joking, kind of). After writing about, "Problem Coins", the thread went to the question of what a person is buying: the coin or the slab? I think when it comes to these better type coins or rare date coins, IN GENERAL, you get more coin for your money for a coin in a NGC slab. It seems to me that the investors like the PCGS coins especially if they are CAC sticker-ed. I bought this one because of the nice creamy original look. There was an NGC 1874 Arrows 50c in a 64 holder for less. In this case the 64 coin may have had slightly better surfaces (technical grading) but it was blotchy and had dirt in the recesses. I bought the coin I liked better and am happy with it, I just wonder what the prices would have been if the coins were in opposite holders. Maybe I am too cynical and the other bidders were all bidding just on the looks of the coin like me. I will never know. Which coin would you pick? (the left is the 63 and the one on the right is the 64)

14580.jpg

See more journals by JTO

Personally I like the coin on the left. The MS64 coin has ugly toning in MHO. A coin that is toned should have what is considered attractive toning. In this case the toning on the MS64 does not do it any justice.

I like to coin on the left as well. If you want my opinion the "investor" is attracted to the label and not the coin. The collector has a different point of view. The old saying is buy the coin and not the holder and that remains true today. A nice coin is still a nice coin no matter the holder. You can always crack-out a nice coin and resubmit it for grading. A ugly coin no matter the "technical" grade is still ugly.

From may standpoint NGC coins are the better value for collectors at this point in time. You can always attempt to cross-over a nice coin to PCGS. If that doesn't work the above mentioned crack-out may be an option. I go where the value is, but that is just my opinion. Many folks seem very happy paying more for PCGS graded coins.

Sometimes you really need to see the coin in person. Especially with toned coins as the image does not always do the tone justice. I have seen this with some of the coins I own that have tone and I try to photograph them. They often look better in person since you can see the lustre better. I have a couple coins that look white in hand and the image shows it lightly toned (and not reflection from the environment).

If there was an opportunity to return the coin if I didn't like it in hand, I might just choose the MS64 just to see it in hand.

As I said I got the coin in an auction. That said the auction was a Heritage auction. I have found many good deals there but... I have also learned never, ever trust the cropped full coin view (sans holder). They are very creative with there lighting and color balance. Some silver coins that looked great in the photo, beautiful deep blues, violet... were black when viewed under regular light. I think they must use a special 100,000 watt light to get the colors that they do. I have never had a coin look better in hand than their photos. So I ALWAYS make my decisions based on the picture of the coin in the holder. I do this not for the holders sake but as a point of reference for the color balance of coins I am considering buying. Also for color (colour) and size for world coins I am interested in but never held an am to lazy to get out my KP World Coins Volumes out for.

Also while I am at it... am I the only one to whom it seems that PCGS (Collectors Universe) and Heritage are really tight?

Just one dumb guys observation.

I doubt there would be many, if forced to pick between the two, who would choose the coin on the right based upon the pictures. The toning is ugly. I do like the "creamy" attribute you describe of the left coin and can see why you found it compelling.

Now, I love attractive toning and will happily choose them over blast white old coins. Good thing we can all "do our thing" in this great hobby!

Here's a NGC 58 CAC of a year older half. It's crusty and likely not your preference, but this is an example of what I like:

halfdollar1873ngcAu58_zps77e9d812.jpg

That coin is quite beautiful with the rainbow toning. I like it alot. It shows the hint of wear to make it a 58 so between the two creamy white 63 and rainbow 58 I would pick the 63. But that is a pick between apples and oranges. Put that toning on a mint state coin an I will take it every time. Here is an example of one..

142481.jpg.edc967fcbb10180160bc3b6ceb54c3c7.jpg

Which coin would you pick?

I paid a bit of a premium price for this coin that, unfortunately, happened to be in a PCGS holder with a CAC sticker. These slabs attract the wrong kind of bidder... the investor. (I am of course joking, kind of). After writing about, "Problem Coins", the thread went to the question of what a person is buying: the coin or the slab? I think when it comes to these better type coins or rare date coins, IN GENERAL, you get more coin for your money for a coin in a NGC slab. It seems to me that the investors like the PCGS coins especially if they are CAC sticker-ed. I bought this one because of the nice creamy original look. There was an NGC 1874 Arrows 50c in a 64 holder for less. In this case the 64 coin may have had slightly better surfaces (technical grading) but it was blotchy and had dirt in the recesses. I bought the coin I liked better and am happy with it, I just wonder what the prices would have been if the coins were in opposite holders. Maybe I am too cynical and the other bidders were all bidding just on the looks of the coin like me. I will never know. Which coin would you pick? (the left is the 63 and the one on the right is the 64)

14580.jpg

See more journals by JTO

I think you have your head screwed on straight- a person should IGNORE the slab and concentrate only on the coin. You should never buy a coin that doesn't appeal to you for two good reasons- you don't want to regret buying coins for your sets, and if you regret it, it is likely that others won't want to buy it for the same reasons so why make it a ball and chain for life? I collect for beauty and eye appeal first, rarity second, strike third. I would have picked the same one, but I personally saw this piece and would have passed because of the central toning spot or crud, whatever is on the shield and on the rim. Might have been wiser if the person who submitted it sent it to NGC for 'conservation' before slabbing, you might want to consider it yourself in fact. Beautiful coin just the same, congrats on the find!