• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When a CAC sticker DOES matter

12 posts in this topic

This just came back, a 1900 Double Eagle, NGC graded MS64. A common date, but in higher grade, there are many out there from years of TPG overgrading. This one I had hand picked over 10 years ago, and since then often wondered about, as it looks close to 65 to me and to others. Instead of taking the chance, cracking and hoping for an upgrade, I sent it to CAC to see what they would say. Why CAC? On these common dates in higher grade gold coins, it adds quite a bit of instant market value, while a regrade may just come back as a 64 or worse. These common 64's are currently trading in the 1800-1900 range and have been falling. But add a CAC sticker, and it holds its value at around 2400. If it had gotten a coveted gold sticker, another 1000 in value could have been added, and then of course I also know that it should upgrade. This info comes from my dealer who pays for some sort of coin trading and market price software that instantly provides up to date price info on all this crazy stuff.

1900001.jpg

1900002.jpg

1900003.jpg

Nice coin! One of my best pickups was a common date saint I bought from a local jewelry store for melt, sent it to PCGS where it graded 64, and then stickered! :)

I never thought of that way, good strategy. Really nice gold coin by the way!

It is really not a strategy, it is more of what the market is out there and knowing what your dealer will pay. The objective is to be able to maximize your coin's value if you need to sell.

thanks for the compliments guys!