• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tomaska is promoting his new ECC Sticker

52 posts in this topic

What you think about it? He's promoting on the coin channels. As far as I can tell, it is on PF Kennedy halves.

Comments?

Got a link or something? I haven't heard about this - but if its coming from Tomaska, it is probably shameless self-promotion in an attempt to sucker fools out of large sums of money. He started good a couple of decades ago, but everything he does lately is just ridiculous money-grabbing and I've lost almost all respect for him.

Got a link or something? I haven't heard about this - but if its coming from Tomaska, it is probably shameless self-promotion in an attempt to sucker fools out of large sums of money. He started good a couple of decades ago, but everything he does lately is just ridiculous money-grabbing and I've lost almost all respect for him.

+1

Well said

It's called 'Everest' (it's supposed to be the peak or top of the heap; I guess) and it is on Kennedys, Franklins, Ikes & likely even some Walkers.

I think it's a good idea but I don't know how the market will respond to it. I doubt that it will carry the weight of CAC for instance.

It's called 'Everest' (it's supposed to be the peak or top of the heap; I guess) and it is on Kennedys, Franklins, Ikes & likely even some Walkers.

Oh, his "Everest" coins have been his "cream of the crop, one of a kind, super-wonderful-extra-rare-wowzer" coins for some time. I guess he just started putting a sticker on them now.

Oh, his "Everest" coins have been his "cream of the crop, one of a kind, super-wonderful-extra-rare-wowzer" coins for some time. I guess he just started putting a sticker on them now.

Yes

Oh...joy. meh

jom

an example on website

R&I Rare Coins

1936 WALKING LIBERTY HALF DOLLAR NGC PF 64 CAC. ECC!!!! PHENOMENAL CAMEO CONTRAST - RARE! The 1936 Walking Liberty half dollar is the key date in the series. To find a 1936 proof Walker with cameo contrast is EXTREMELY RARE in ANY grade! The obverse of this jewel features absolutely stunning frosted cameo devices. The reverse offers light frosted cameo devices. Just a touch away from being a CAMEO! The mirrors are DEEP which is so RARE to find on a Walker. NGC has graded 407 examples in PF 64 but a very small percentage of those 406 other examples offer the cameo contrast and depth of mirrors that this gem offers. Not only does this beauty offer a CAC sticker, it also offers an ECC sticker. SUPERB!

+1

Well said

+2 (thumbs u

Agree.

I lost a lot of respect for Rick when he started putting his signature on PCI slabbed cameo coins. And, most of the coins he was putting his signature on I know he didn't believe were cameo. It seems is was about the almighty dollar but who knows. I have purchased several coins from R&I and they do offer quite a few quality offerings but they do carry quite the premium in price tag.

PCI-Signature-Front.jpg

I think the sticker is pretty much irrelevant in today's market. Here is a proof cameo 1939 Lincoln Cent that I like very much, but at about $3.5-$4k more than it is worth IMO based on actual sales data:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1939-LINCOLN-NGC-PF-66-RD-CAMEO-HIGHEST-GRADE-IN-CAMEO-EXTREMELY-RARE-/251363500363?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item3a866ea14b

1936 WALKING LIBERTY HALF DOLLAR NGC PF 64 CAC. ECC!!!! PHENOMENAL CAMEO CONTRAST - RARE! The 1936 Walking Liberty half dollar is the key date in the series. To find a 1936 proof Walker with cameo contrast is EXTREMELY RARE in ANY grade! The obverse of this jewel features absolutely stunning frosted cameo devices. The reverse offers light frosted cameo devices. Just a touch away from being a CAMEO! The mirrors are DEEP which is so RARE to find on a Walker. NGC has graded 407 examples in PF 64 but a very small percentage of those 406 other examples offer the cameo contrast and depth of mirrors that this gem offers. Not only does this beauty offer a CAC sticker, it also offers an ECC sticker. SUPERB!

Translation: "The obverse of this coin is very nice but the weakness of the reverse keeps it from even getting a Cameo rating."

I lost a lot of respect for Rick when he started putting his signature on PCI slabbed cameo coins. And, most of the coins he was putting his signature on I know he didn't believe were cameo. It seems is was about the almighty dollar but who knows.

The signed PCI slabs you posted are from their first "Signature Series". It didn't last very long and almost all of their Experts immediately backed out and took out a full page ad in Coin World announcing that they were no longer associated with PCI. The reason was that PCI was supposed to sent them the coins for examination, but since they had pre-signed the labels PCI was just putting their names/endorsements on coins the Experts had never seen. So those poor cameo coins with Tomaska's name on them were probably never seen by him.

If I purchased an Everest coin in the past, can I get a sticker sent to me?

Probably not. But, you could sell it and take the loss on your taxes. ;)

I lost a lot of respect for Rick when he started putting his signature on PCI slabbed cameo coins. And, most of the coins he was putting his signature on I know he didn't believe were cameo. It seems is was about the almighty dollar but who knows.

The signed PCI slabs you posted are from their first "Signature Series". It didn't last very long and almost all of their Experts immediately backed out and took out a full page ad in Coin World announcing that they were no longer associated with PCI. The reason was that PCI was supposed to sent them the coins for examination, but since they had pre-signed the labels PCI was just putting their names/endorsements on coins the Experts had never seen. So those poor cameo coins with Tomaska's name on them were probably never seen by him.

Thanks for the additional info Conder. I was not privy to that and it helps explain. It does not however explain that if the coin were supposed to have been delivered to the expert for examination then why have pre-signed labels? Why not just sign the label when the coin was delivered for inspection. sounds kinda fishy if you ask me. I wonder if there was ever a lawsuit because if not then not only does it smell fishy it out right stinks.

I suppose there are still untapped resources like his "Everest" designation; why not "Fuji", Kilimanjaro, Ararat, Matterhorn, heck even some of the North American peaks like Whitney or Monadnock add panache to a description? I guess they have exhausted metals for superlatives, gold, platinum; gems like diamond, ruby and saphire; there are still a few words that still could be tried. But all of this cultural fragmentation and exploitation just leads to sucker fatigue..,.

If it ever sells I will take the loss on my taxes. Maybe I need that Everest sticker to get someone to buy it. doh!

If it ever sells I will take the loss on my taxes. Maybe I need that Everest sticker to get someone to buy it. doh!
These comments are worthless without pictures!!!

87838d1334008562-lake-harding-this_thread_is_worthless_without_pictures.jpg

These comments are worthless without pictures!!!

87838d1334008562-lake-harding-this_thread_is_worthless_without_pictures.jpg

You are correct. I really just wanna be the the first guy to have an Everest & CAC sticker.

FHD1958-DNGCMS67.jpg

What you think about it? He's promoting on the coin channels. As far as I can tell, it is on PF Kennedy halves.

Comments?

I believe ECC is an acronym for Exceptional Cameo Contrast.

Very good info.

I like to flip back and forth to watch the Chappel art and coin show when I am bored late at night. It cracks me up to see Rick and Barry showing pages printed off Ebay with astronomical prices for the coins they are selling soooooooo cheap on TV. When I check the prices of the coins they say are so rare and worth so much, almost always the value is cheaper than what they are asking for.

I like to flip back and forth to watch the Chappel art and coin show when I am bored late at night. It cracks me up to see Rick and Barry showing pages printed off Ebay with astronomical prices for the coins they are selling soooooooo cheap on TV. When I check the prices of the coins they say are so rare and worth so much, almost always the value is cheaper than what they are asking for.

I have to admit that I like to watch it, too!! lol I laugh at the prices but enjoy the auctions and commentary. It is my guilty pleasure. ;)