• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tomaska is promoting his new ECC Sticker

52 posts in this topic

I like to flip back and forth to watch the Chappel art and coin show when I am bored late at night. It cracks me up to see Rick and Barry showing pages printed off Ebay with astronomical prices for the coins they are selling soooooooo cheap on TV. When I check the prices of the coins they say are so rare and worth so much, almost always the value is cheaper than what they are asking for.

I have to admit that I like to watch it, too!! lol I laugh at the prices but enjoy the auctions and commentary. It is my guilty pleasure. ;)

It's an enjoyable show. I've learned a lot about coins I don't collect and which dates/mint marks are key. Now that I'm more knowledgeable about Morgan Dollars, I always like when they stretch the truth. With Sean, you can always tell when he's going to take his statements to the edge. He licks his lips. It's funny.

I like to flip back and forth to watch the Chappel art and coin show when I am bored late at night. It cracks me up to see Rick and Barry showing pages printed off Ebay with astronomical prices for the coins they are selling soooooooo cheap on TV. When I check the prices of the coins they say are so rare and worth so much, almost always the value is cheaper than what they are asking for.

I have to admit that I like to watch it, too!! lol I laugh at the prices but enjoy the auctions and commentary. It is my guilty pleasure. ;)

It's an enjoyable show. I've learned a lot about coins I don't collect and which dates/mint marks are key. Now that I'm more knowledgeable about Morgan Dollars, I always like when they stretch the truth. With Sean, you can always tell when he's going to take his statements to the edge. He licks his lips. It's funny.

Yeah--I've learned a few things about Ikes, Franklins and Kennedys from watching the show.

Sean is less believable than the others (which is saying a lot)---he has the look and dialogue of a used car dealer. lol

I like it when my coin dealer SCREAMS what a great deal I'm about to get and how I'm going to regret not making those 27 monthly payments of only 57.99.

I think you forgot perhaps the most relevant mountain to the discussion; Mt. St. Helens.... Much like the value of the ECC, the top third of the mountain just "went away" back in 1980.

I like it when my coin dealer SCREAMS what a great deal I'm about to get and how I'm going to regret not making those 27 monthly payments of only 57.99.

"Folks, back-up the truck on this one! Hank the Bank, how many people do we have online? That many, well get ready, you're not gonna want to miss this....

It's not $1500

$1400

$1295, $1195...

Folks, get ready....Hank, are you sure about these prices?

$995....."

Does that sound familiar?

"Folks, back-up the truck on this one! Hank the Bank, how many people do we have online? That many, well get ready, you're not gonna want to miss this....

It's not $1500

$1400

$1295, $1195...

Folks, get ready....Hank, are you sure about these prices?

$995....."

Does that sound familiar?

What's the price in the leading numismatic catalog?

What's the price in the leading numismatic catalog?

Yes, I completely forgot that....

I don't know the name of the catalog, but the prices sure are nice for the sellers! :roflmao:

I don't watch it.

I'd rather hear fingernails on a chalk board...................

...............he has the look and dialogue of a used car dealer. lol
I would be much more inclined to believe a used car salesman than these ............ TV Hucksters.

...............he has the look and dialogue of a used car dealer. lol
I would be much more inclined to believe a used car salesman than these ............ TV Hucksters.

+1

Here is a little more detail about the ECC sticker from Rick Tomaska. He posted this in his September New Purchases Newsletter he sends out to his clients.

IT’S ABOUT TIME!

THE “ECC” CAMEO LABEL

Over the last several years I have had many clients ask me to start my own grading service for cameo coins. Because as all cameo collectors understand through experience there can be a huge difference in cameo contrast between two coins of the exact same grade.

I have resisted the idea, because overall PCGS and NGC do such an excellent job grading cameo coins. But I recently saw a TV show, where the salesman was offering a complete 11-coin Eisenhower set in PR69DCAM for under $450. The problem those of us who love cameo Eisenhower dollars have is that so many of these coins have minimal cameo contrast for the grade on either the obverse or the reverse!

The only dates where this is not a problem are the last two dates of the series, the 1977 and 1978. By 1977 the mint had pretty much perfected their cameo die preparation technology and from that year on essentially every proof coin struck was an exceptional Deep Cameo. But this was definitely NOT the case for proof Ikes struck 1976 and earlier!

What I like about this ECC sticker is that the standards for earning the sticker are pretty objective – in other words, it is pretty easy to see the difference in cameo contrast between these two coins.

The ECC sticker will be for coins with solid DCAM/ULTRA contrast on both the obverse AND reverse for Eisenhower dollars.

We will also be offering the ECC sticker on 1936 – 1942 proof coins. Occasionally a stunning proof from this era will surface, a very early strike off the die, with lovely obverse/reverse cameo contrast and deep mirrors. THESE COINS DESERVE AN ECC label, as they are FAR SUPERIOR in eye-appeal to the typical proofs from this era!

Once underway, we will be entering the serial number of every coin into a database. We will also have up-to-date population numbers.

Coin grading is an evolutionary process. Just as with the recent adoption of the PLUS designation at PCGS and NGC, I believe the time has come for this ECC sticker. I believe it will be a tremendous aide for the collector of today and tomorrow.

I hope this answered any questions.

Jackie O.

R&I Coins Manager

It must be pretty good since "pretty" is the most used adverb in the tome. That pretty well sums it up – pretty much…. :)

I do not collect Eisenhower dollars. But the questions I have are these.

Is $450 a reasonable price for this 11 coin set? How about for these sets sold through a similar outlet since I suspect this price is probably more than what it will cost elsewhere? How much are the premium coins you are describing which purportedly should have the ECC sticker worth? I suspect a lot more than $450 which means that I see it as an apples to oranges comparison and not a problem at all.