• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

opinions on an eBay selling issue

14 posts in this topic

Suppose you were a seller on eBay with lots that open at $1 and no reserve. And, suppose you know of a dealer (yes, an actual dealer and not one who is a collector who moves coins from time to time) who seems to bid on your $1 lots with a very low bid (something like $2 or so).

Suppose also that this dealer bidder has never made any substantial bids on any of your lots. That is, the bids weren't even close to FMV of the lot in question.

Suppose also that you don't have a pre-existing meaningful business relationship with this dealer bidder, and aren't likely to have one in the future.

Suppose also that the main purpose of these $1 listings is to attract bona fide customers and perhaps even offer collectors the possibility of a decent deal.

My thinking is that it would be a shame for this dealer bidder to "accidentally" win a lot at $1 and then sell it to a retail customer at a substantial profit. I would rather it go unsold, re-list, and offer the opportunity again at $1 open to real collectors. Either way, the seller would be taking a hit if the item sells low. But, it just seems more appropriate to offer the potential rip to a collector (and a potential repeat customer).

What do you think?

BTW, how do you go about blocking a bidder ID?

TIA,

EVP

PS I know that you can't always tell the diff between a collector and a dealer; in this case, however, this bidder is an actual dealer.

Think you're worrying about nothing. To me, any bid which will be honored is a good bid.

I'll bid a nominal amount on many things just to see what they sell for.

-JamminJ

JamminJ,

This doesn't apply to you because you're not a f/t dealer who sells to retail clients. Moreover, this isn't about not honoring bids.

But, you're probably correct in that I'm getting unnecessarily annoyed. Much ado about nothing...

EVP

I understand your annoyance is not about honoring bids - I was just explaining my single criterion for whether I'm happy to have received a bid.

As I see it, your main concern is that if the coin sells as a rip you would prefer iot go to a collector rather than a dealer. However, the low ball dealer hasn't won anything thus far so there's really no problem. Additionally, considering your employer I'll bet your auctions are well scrutinized by many, many people and very few rips will survive through to the end.

If one defied the odds and looks close to closing for a rip you could always tip off some of your customers or internet buddies that there's a good deal to be had. That should take care of it. If it woudl make you feel better, I personally will buy all the rips from you. wink.gifgrin.gif

-JamminJ

Hi EVP,

My feeling is that it is not my concern whether my buyer makes a profit or not on my sale. I honestly can't care if he re-sold my item at 10 times cost or 1/10th cost.

Ideally, that is, strictly speaking in an idyllic sense, I would want every buyer of everything I sell to make money on that transaction.....This would perpetuate the future of my business indefinitely !!

Paul

It could be that the dealer bids such low amounts so as to keep the auction lot on his/her radar screen in order to monitor the sale price. Since you can only watch something like 30 lots on ebay at any one time, this dealer might use low-ball bids as an auxilliary watch system. Does he/she have this pattern of bidding on anyone else's lots? If so, then it is probably an auxiliary watch.

As for the coin selling as a rip, I think that that is an unlikely scenario. If the selling dealer is well known or has a following on ebay, such as, for example, the ebay member flowinghair, then there are plenty of folks waiting in the wings for a deal to fall into their laps. Because of this, there will likely be no such deal as each bidder will up the coin to a safe level.

This may be a stretch, but the seller might simply send an email to the dealer/bidder and ask what is going on.

TomB,

Who is this flowinghair seller of which you speak? Are they a legit outfit? There are so many scammers and wannabes out there...

wink.gif

Ok, seriously, I think this is a non-issue. I was wondering partially because I'm a little annoyed at one bidder, and partially because my utterly delightful boss is freakishly paranoid about the $1 bids remaining at that level. I had to remind my freakishly paranoid but otherwise utterly delightful boss that the lots just opened up late the night prior.

I hadn't thought of the watchlist issue...

EVP

It should be meaningless who bids on your auctions or how much they bid as long as they are legit bidders. If you must block them, search under "block bidder" and there will be some easy steps to follow.

I personally will buy all the rips from you.

Or others. I still remember my NGC MS66 silver Kennedy selling for $3 and then it being resold for $21+ 893censored-thumb.gif

Since you can only watch something like 30 lots on ebay at any one time, this dealer might use low-ball bids as an auxilliary watch system.

I believe eBay removed this 30 limit. I don't know what the new limit is (and it doesn't list one on your My eBay screen), but it is well over 30.

Who is this flowinghair seller of which you speak? Are they a legit outfit? There are so many scammers and wannabes out there...

I've never seen a dealer called flowinghair set up at any of the major shows. Clearly this is the type of dealer that I would avoid. They'll probably claim to do business under another name, but I wouldn't trust them.

BTW, is it true that the name flowinghair was chosen by TDN as he was so enamored with Laura's locks? hi.gif

Greg - I think you should avoid flowinghair at all costs. laugh.gif

JamminJ - you wouldn't know what to do w/ a lightside coin if you jam one up your ... nose! laugh.gif

TDN - you want to lock Spoiber where? 893naughty-thumb.gif

Hoot - we need an NBB trip!!! yay.gif

EVP

JamminJ - you wouldn't know what to do w/ a lightside coin if you jam one up your ... nose! laugh.gif

What up will all the hate? Sure I know what to do with them, 1c open no reserve and let it ride.

Just like that Kennedy I ripped from Greg! poke2.gif

-JamminJ

Ideally, that is, strictly speaking in an idyllic sense, I would want every buyer of everything I sell to make money on that transaction.....This would perpetuate the future of my business indefinitely !!

Interesting comment. Food for thought... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Thanks!

EVP