• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Well Well! posted by namvette68

11 posts in this topic

O.K. I'm lost with this post. Are you saying that all American Silver Eagles (ASE) are manufactured at West Point and simply stamped with the other Mint Marks? Is this then a Big Government conspiracy led by the President to defraud ASE collectors? Is it time we line our hats with tin foil to keep them from reading our thoughts too?

Seriously, I don't know the answer since I think American Eagles are coins about as much as a five dollar bill is but is this something serious enough to call someone out about?

Think about this:

2013 MS70 (NO mint mark)

2013 MS70 Struck at SF (NO mint mark)

2013 MS70 W has a W mint mark

2013 MS70 W Struck at WP (NO mint mark

see a pattern here......?

and the proof coins are all from West Point also......hmmmm?

For years I bought an MS and a PF coin, and I had a complete collection.

Now every year there are no mint mark coins pretending to be what they are not! We have to have them for a complete set. Look at the expense to collect an Eagle set today. We are buying the same coins to fill more spaces? They couldn't find enough silver in 2009 for Proof eagles, and now they are taking us over the coals by saying these are "special?" Next thing you know, we will have a 2014 W struck in China?

All I started out wanting was a nice set to pass on. I'll do it, but I just thought everyone should know. We've been had!

I thought about it and came up with this...

25th Anniversary set had a 2011-"S" mint mark on a mint state eagle.

Proofs have S, P, and W mint marks, '86-'92 have "S" mint marks, '93-2000 have "P" mint marks (the '95 also had a "W" mint mark), 2001-2013 have "W" mint marks, 2006 & 2011 reverse proofs have a "P" mint mark, the 2012 San Francisco set has an "S" mint mark proof and reverse proof, and the 2012 Coin & Currency set has an "S" mint mark proof.

I do think the "struck at" labels are just a way for the TPG companies to make money on people who just have to have a "complete" set.

I didn't like what was going on with the ASE's either so I sold every last one I had in a holder.

Enough of that!

hey namvette--I think I understand what you are getting at ( all of the typical NGC chat board insultors aside).

I believe that what you are getting at is now we have reached a point with all of these varying ASE's that make the set ridiculous to collect---SP's, PF's, reverse proofs, MS, MS from West point, MS from San Fran, burnished die finish--yada yada ..

And now here in 2013, they don't even bother minting the coins with the varying mintmarks anymore---they just ship the in boxes stating "minted at X mint" and then the TPG's make special labeles and ultimately we end up buying a label collection if you want one of each different coin struck--even though there is no difference on the coin themselves.

Raisethis2:

Are commemoratives coins?...like ASE's, they are fashioned by sculptors/artists, dies are made, they are struck from precious metals. They have a denomination that is meaningless since the intrinsic PM content is worth well more than the "One Dollar" on the design; they were never meant for circulation and finally..their purpose for existance is purely for collectors and investors--------hhhhmmmm.

You may be onto something. Maybe commems should be called mint "medallions" and removed from the registries and coin auctions to the token/medal areas-- and the ASE's should have the differing dates removed and variety of strikes and finishes discontinued to eliminate collector demand. Just mint the standard MS coin with no date as a bullion piece. This would probably just fantastic for the future of our hobby.........