• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Can be Done - Overdipped?

8 posts in this topic

A few years back I acquired 20 different date/mm Morgan dollars. I did not know it then, but I do know it now, these coins had been dipped to the point there is no real luster remaining. They were all part of a personal collection and apparently the prior owner wanted them all looking identical. While they look "bright and shiny", they do not look all that natural. What, if anythging, can be done (and how) to properly give these coins a more original look? I seriously think these are all MS-63's, 64's, and maybe even one or two 65's. In their current state they show very few bag marks and none have the scratches of an improper cleaning. As always, I appreciate hearing any thoughts, suggestions or ideas.

The previous posts are correct. Once mint luster is impaired, there is nothing that can be done to restore it. Perhaps if you store the coins in an album, you might get some toning that will make them look better, but that is only a matter of chance, and it will not enhance the value that much. Mint luster is a key ingredient for a Mint State coin.

As others have said, the damage has already been done. You can try putting them in brown kraft paper envelopes to allow them to tone for several months to give them a more natural color and to tone down their brightness but you can't put the luster back on the coins. I've read that wrapping them in Taco Bell napkins which are apparently high in sulfur also works to naturally retone them.

Understand also that dipped coins might actually look like they have less hits and contact marks making them appear higher grade, but that's because the contact marks often are removed by the acid.

There is no replacement for original mint luster. The cartwheel never comes back.

Understand also that dipped coins might actually look like they have less hits and contact marks making them appear higher grade, but that's because the contact marks often are removed by the acid.

There is no replacement for original mint luster. The cartwheel never comes back.

With all due respect, the amount of metal that is moved by the acid in a dipping solution would not go far enough to remove marks. If it did the coin would noticeably thinner and lighter.

The overdipping and mircoscopic etching of the surfaces also results in a lack of contrast between the surfaces inside and outside the contact marks. You have the same washed out appearance everywhere which tends to make the marks less noticeable.