• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1916-D Buffalo nickel newp.....

20 posts in this topic

I just returned from Albuquerque NM visiting family so I went to a couple of B&M shops and found this 1916-D Buff. I will muster a guess of at least 64 with a good shot at 65. Do you concur? Thanks for looking....Joe

1916-Damp1924Buffs005_zpsa3546550.jpg1916-Damp1924Buffs008_zps29c9cc21.jpg

Here's a PCGS MS-63 for comparison....I like this coin for the color...

1916-DPCGSMS-63COLORFULLBUFFALONICKEL019_zps80f1e189.jpg1916-DPCGSMS-63COLORFULLBUFFALONICKEL010_zps704cf688.jpg

I just returned from Albuquerque NM visiting family so I went to a couple of B&M shops and found this 1916-D Buff. I will muster a guess of at least 64 with a good shot at 65. Do you concur? Thanks for looking....Joe

1916-DPCGSMS-63COLORFULLBUFFALONICKEL019_zps80f1e189.jpg1916-DPCGSMS-63COLORFULLBUFFALONICKEL010_zps704cf688.jpg

Wow, not that familiar with Buffalo's, but if I was asked to judge the PCGS MS63 I would say AU. Is the 1916-D known for a very weak strike? Luster looks good. I'm stunned by the lack of device details (hair, feathers and braids) and Reverse shoulder. Again, not schooled in the nuances of strike characteristics of Buffalo's but I can't get by the flat definition of both the Obverse and Reverse on the PCGS MS63

As to your comparison, your pick up is superior to the PCGS MS63.

Carl

Wow, not that familiar with Buffalo's, but if I was asked to judge the PCGS MS63 I would say AU. Is the 1916-D known for a very weak strike? Luster looks good. I'm stunned by the lack of device details (hair, feathers and braids) and Reverse shoulder. Again, not schooled in the nuances of strike characteristics of Buffalo's but I can't get by the flat definition of both the Obverse and Reverse on the PCGS MS63

As to your comparison, your pick up is superior to the PCGS MS63.

Carl

This is just the reason why buffalo nickel's are kinda tough to grade. 1916 buffs from San Francisco are not known for BIG strikes or full details as the dies were used far beyond their life expectancy. When collecting these coins ya gotta remember the high points "hip bone and flank" are the last part of the coin to fill out and the first to show wear. You must be able to distinguish the difference between rub and the coin just not quite filling out all the way. There are many dates in the buffalo nickel series that have this problem for various reasons. Ya also gotta remember the high relief for these coins, they suck a lot a metal in the motifs. So, I guess ya can say Buffalo nickel's SUCK!!!!

New hub in 1916.

Bottom coin is from old dies - top piece is much nicer. Here is another example of "grading" not being very helpful.

Nice coins. The second one is just the dies and the strike. Look at the ribbons coming off the braids. They're more complete in the second one than in the first one.

You've brought up a good point Kurtdog. The flip side of the ribbons coming down from the braids would be "states" on the reverse. They also are quite weakly struck. More than likely the dies were tilted off to one side. This would account for this weakness.

If ya take a look at a lot of these 16-d Buffs this is kind of the norm even in in grades 65. In my opinion, and everybody has one, the 16-d of quite a tough Buff to find fully struck with great luster.

These two coins are a nice pair to see together, Joe. Tell NGC if they give the top one the 65, I'm willing to put my Kurtdog sticker on it. That ought to convince them, lol.

These two coins are a nice pair to see together, Joe. Tell NGC if they give the top one the 65, I'm willing to put my Kurtdog sticker on it. That ought to convince them, lol.

Consider it done!!!!!!