• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post a coin from the 1st half of the Twentieth century; 1900 - 1949.

61 posts in this topic

Not to be an arse, but since I have OCD I have to say, the first half of the 20th century is technically 1901-1950 (1900 is still part of the 19th century).

Okay, kick the geek now.

Not to be an arse, but since I have OCD I have to say, the first half of the 20th century is technically 1901-1950 (1900 is still part of the 19th century).

Okay, kick the geek now.

I'm aware of that Prethen. I was wondering when some nitpicker would bring that up. Let's see how well you know your time... what occurrence was there in 2000 that had not occurred in the last, essentially, 400 years?

Also, if you are being technical about dating, we currently believe that Christ was born in 3 BC (assuming, of course, he was born), so there is certainly room for a little slop in deciding where centuries begin...

Okay, kick the geek now.

I'm aware of that Prethen. I was wondering when some nitpicker would bring that up. Let's see how well you know your time... what occurrence was there in 2000 that had not occurred in the last, essentially, 400 years?

Also, if you are being technical about dating, we currently believe that Christ was born in 3 BC (assuming, of course, he was born), so there is certainly room for a little slop in deciding where centuries begin...

Answer: There WAS a leap year in 2000 when normally it is skipped (like in 1900, 1800 and 1700). BTW, I learned that in Astronomy class in 1980. heh

Everyone celebrated the new century in 2000 when in fact it was 1/1/2001.....so now you are telling me it was 2003. Yikes! :o

jom

...Answer: There WAS a leap year in 2000 when normally it is skipped (like in 1900, 1800 and 1700). BTW, I learned that in Astronomy class in 1980. heh...

jom

Give the Man a cigar! :applause: Only century dates divisible by 400 have a leap year day, for example 1600 and 2000. All other century dates do NOT have a leap year, e.g. 1700, 1800 and 1900. It's because a solar year is actually a bit shorter than 365.25 days, essentially 3 days less over 400 years. If you want to get REALLY technical, we MAY need to adjust it by 1 further day (e.g. NO leap year day) on years divisible by 8,000. There are certain parameters we are still unsure about, hence the MAY part of that. Maybe in another couple of thousand of years we'll have that one codified...