• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to avoid winning a Numismatic Forum Darwin Award

13 posts in this topic

Questions about coins are always welcome. However, to avoid winning a Numismatic Forum Darwin Award, try to include the following information:

1. The correct date and mint mark (if any) of the coin in question.

2. The denomination of the coin in question.

3. The type of the coin in question (if relevant, for example on a 1938-D nickel).

4. The actual question. A picture, though helpful, is not a question. Nor is "What do you think?" an adequate question. An example of an adequate question might be "What do you think about the extra metal below the L of LIBERTY?"

5. A picture IF possible. It is recognized that many people do not have the capability of producing a picture. If a picture is not possible, please describe thoroughly.

"4. The actual question."

Wow....now that might be going too far. :)

Good pointers, although nearly all collectors already do this. I guess improved patience would help too! (esp yours truly...)

Experienced collectors/forum users already do it, newbies and beginning collectors often do not. Of course newbie and beginning collectors also will not see this posted advice. Even if it is pinned to the top of the forum very few will read it.

An additional tip would be to post photos to a free photo hosting site such as photobucket since the file size for direct posting is limited.

The topic title is a bit extreme since Darwin awards are always made posthumously, and I seriously doubt if anyone has ever died as a result of a poorly worded post here.

I don't know, on some forums I've seen threads run several pages without being able to get the basic info out of the OP. They keep responding but not with the requested info. I don't any of them have been killed, but sometimes we'd like to.

Also being guilty of too many poorly worded posts could result in everyone just ignoring you which could be as good as being dead.