• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Damage Capsule West Point Two Coin Set.

13 posts in this topic

Where is the quality control?

My wife called me at work to let me know that my coins have arrived. When I got home and open the boxes and to my surprise I have two damage capsule. My plan was to send in one set toe NGC and keep the other for show with my other sets. Both enhance coin have damage capsule. On not so noticeable the other damn noticeable. I can not win. I did not want to send in two sets but I might have too. I am going to wait till the weekend to look at the coins closely before sending them out. I should be cooled down my then.

I hope others have great success then I did.

Happy Collecting,

Ed

13931.jpg

See more journals by DVD Home Studios

I don't think you have to worry on a lower grade due to that capsule. I would have more interest in the perfection of the "frost and gloss"!!! :)

Later---Rick

Hi Rick, I know but I wanted to show off the coin in its US Mint case but I worry that the capusle is not airtight anymore.

Ed

No capsule is ever air tight. Silver is reactive sometimes even in NGC holders. Plus even if it IS air tight, unless they pumped argon or some other non-reactive gas into the case it could have trapped air that will eventually tarnish silver.

Sorry to burst your airtight bubble. :banana:

nice coins by the way.

I would say you would have a better chance of getting a 70 back from these early strikes over some coins you get back after another month. The mint has been very good with pumping out perfect coins. Ask to see some stinkers and you will find a few though.

Ouch!!

Brings back nightmares from the 2011 25th Anniversary Set when I heard some rattling coming from inside the box...can you say PF68 Reverse Proof! That's what I blame for the poor grade I got for that coin!

Jeffrey

Yea these aren't airtite anyway. You can always swap them out with another eagle airtite if it bothers you too much. I wish mine would ship. I'm still showing 06/17 and has not updated.

Hi Ed, some nice looking coin's, hope you receive all 70's, to bad about the damage capsule's (ditto Bobby), i am still sitting at the same date as Bobby 6-17, am sure thay will be comming soon, have a go day. Don

I just took a close look at the coins and the unciculated enhanced coin is beatiful. The details are stuening.The flag, the ribbins in the dress stand out. You can see the depth of lines on the gown. The enhancements do bring out the best in this coin.

wp3.jpg

This time around, I didn't bother buying the set from the Mint, and submitting for certification to avoid the expense and disappointments. I went directly to the dealers for the certified pair and got lucky. Goldmart.com had the best price- $239.95 for the NGC 70 pair, ER West Point Star Label. Now I just wait for them to arrive.