• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recommend a descent loupe

11 posts in this topic

I am currently using an ancient one that my grandfather had, I am kind of attached, but its it ruff shape. What do you recommend? I don't need the very top of the line. But I do want a good one that doesn't distort color and will last. Also what specs. Do you use? I'm use to a 10x. 20mm.

How about the ones with built in led lighting? It's only for coinage, as I don't deal with stones.

I appreciate any help. Thanks BruceS.

There have been many threads on this subject, both here and ATS.

Many people will recommend the expensive ($100+) Zeiss and Eschenbach lenses in their various combinations.

However, almost all of the real pros I know, including the former TPG graders, use the Bausch & Lomb 5x Packette, which costs $15 or so (I bought mine a long time ago).

If you buy one of the expensive magnifying glasses, you'll want a lanyard to hang it around your neck so you won't lose it, whereas you'll never lose an inexpensive lense like the B&L. (I bought mine in 1993 and haven't lost it yet.)

As far as magnifying power goes, I'd go with a 5x for grading and perhaps a 10x if you want to identify varieties - anything more is overkill, especially for grading.

I got one of these on eBay for about $15 delivered, not top of line but inexpensive and durable

H.E. HARRIS WIDE FIELD 16X FOLDING LOUPE

I use it mostly for varieties and discerning die polish from cleaning

That's the kind used to examine family trees, or possibly coins with a pedigree.

All kidding aside, for around 5x-7x I like to use enlarger lenses instead of loupes. They're far better quality than any available loupe, and much cheaper, since no one is doing enlarging anymore. You can get a Nikon 50mm f2.8 for $25 or so, or if you don't want to spring for Nikon you can get others even cheaper. Once you try one for 5-7x you will never go back. For higher power, loupes make sense because they have smaller cases. But for lower power the larger size of the enlarger lens (not really that much bigger than the larger loupes...) makes sense.