• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just back from NGC - rainbow 1938 Nickel

14 posts in this topic

Here's one I just got back from NGC. The images don't do it justice...the toning is vibrant and really makes the coin pop. I really thought this would merit an MS67 because both sides are extremely clean, and was surprised it didn't get the star. But, I don't need the star to realize how unique and stunning this one is. It has already found a nice home in my collection :)

Enjoy and thanks for looking!

1938D_MS66_Obverse.jpg

1938D_MS66_Reverse.jpg

I forgot to put into my post that it graded MS66.

Color is definitely an added bonus to an already sharp looking coin. This one was sitting in an old Whitman album for years - when I pulled the album out to look at it again I realized how nice this one looked. Since I was looking for additions to a submission being pulled together, it was an easy choice.

that's a great looking nickel!

This one a lot tougher to find nicely toned than the buff 1938-D

GREAT SCORE!

I think that the surfaces are clean enough for an MS67 grade but there are two other factors that may have limited the grade. While the toning does look attractive, it has a somewhat mottled appearance on the reverse and appears to mute the luster just a bit. If this is the case, it would certainly explain both the absence of the star and the lower grade. The other factor is that there is some minor carbon spotting that could easily limit the grade to MS66.

Still a very nice coin. It appears that you are not getting enough light on your coin from the photos. How many light sources are you using?

Paul

Thanks folks - it's amazing what time, surroundings, and a coin folder can do for an already nice coin. Sometimes, you get lucky and a rainbow appears - other times you get nothing, or spots, or crummy toning, or worse. I have lots of the latter to show for my patience, so I'm very happy with this one. :D

Are you considering building a Jefferson Nickel Registry Collection? We need some new blood in the Jefferson category.

Thanks for asking - I already have several nickel registry sets on NGC. Sad to say my images are way out of date because I've made a number of changes to the set, so I need to get back at it once we return from an extended visit up north with family.

Lehigh, seeing that you have the #1 competitive sets for wartime nickels and '38-'64 is pretty darn impressive. I have a looooong way to go. My problem is that I like too many other things, so if I can't find a nickel I'm trying to add to the set the money gets spent on some other shiny thing that has caught my eye.

I just noticed your first post Lehigh - only one light source on this one, which I know i need two. I was in a hurry to get images taken and posted, and still haven't unpacked everything yet from our move to Cape Coral, FL. I've got to dig out my other light source and create a proper image set-up again.

The obverse color is exceptional, and if the reverse had not had faint milk spotting, this probably would have gotten a star. Still a great coin.

On another note, your images highlight something I have noticed recently: NGC is going back to "bubbly Plastic" slab casing.