• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Pamp worth it?

31 posts in this topic

I realize that Pamp bars are known all around, and carry a high premium because of that. The thing I am curious about is if its actually worth getting them since you are paying so much more then spot. I do realize you can resell much easier based on the name, but can't other companies like Johnson Matthey or some other big name sell almost as well?

Pamp Bar JMBULLION link

I don't pay the big premiums Pamp commands. I've gotten a couple fractional Pamp gold bars in trade and was able to get a good premium when selling them. I just can't get past paying the big premiums when buying.

As far as 999 silver goes I've pretty much stuck with ASE, ML, Engelhard, and JM. With gold I prefer 90% U.S. classic gold or AGE.

I forgot to mention I find it funny when you see all these sites and dealers offering spot price to buy back from you, I have had a couple who offer under spot amazingly. Like you could not resell your stuff on your own for the prices they are selling it for, its almost insulting. Like they are doing you a favor. I only trust a couple dealers and still will not sell to them, they usually give me a decent price above spot to buy, that's the only reason I deal with them.

Pamp makes some attractive bars but when I'm buying bullion I want the most bang of the buck so I'll buy name brand bars that are priced much closer to melt. I think there is a real possibility that the premium will disappear when it comes time to sell at some future date.

Maybe this is a return of the "art bar" fad of 30+ years ago. People paid absurd markups for 1 - or 5-ounce silver bars with cute designs stamped on them. They were too big for jewelry use and had little resale value after the fad passed.

The little 10 gram bar mentioned above is attractive and small enough to be used as jewelry - just as most gold dollar coins were used. But it seems counterproductive to try and accumulate silver or gold metal that way.

I will buy a piece of bullion with decoration only if it's something I like, other than that, I will buy bullion eagles. If it says .999 silver, than it's all the same, RIGHT????

If it says .999 silver, than it's all the same, RIGHT????

Wrong. Not all 999 fine silver bullion is created equal. Generic silver rounds carry a much smaller premium than ASE's.

If it says .999 silver, than it's all the same, RIGHT????

Wrong. Not all 999 fine silver bullion is created equal. Generic silver rounds carry a much smaller premium than ASE's.

I'm not talking about premiums Perry. The silver is all the same, correct? I know name brands are bought at premium prices, if if both say .999 silver, it's the same, right?

Well if you just want silver then get it near spot. I know there are those that will pay a lot for collectible silver but I just can't justify the premium. For one I like the Carr stuff better and I know there's a market for it but in the end it's just silver after all.

Well if you just want silver then get it near spot. I know there are those that will pay a lot for collectible silver but I just can't justify the premium. For one I like the Carr stuff better and I know there's a market for it but in the end it's just silver after all.

This was my question above. In the end .999 silver is all the same except for brands, correct?

I think there are some brands that have better reputation then others and are more trusted for their work that is done and the time they have been around. Pamp and Johnson Matthey are 2 that carry a decent premium even though they are still only .999 silver

Thats what I don't understand about people buying a name brand over a generic brand. When you melt it down, it all looks the same.

Thats what I don't understand about people buying a name brand over a generic brand. When you melt it down, it all looks the same.

The thought process is not about melt value, its about resell value. You buy the name to get the premium, if its about pure silver you buy any name and sell it to a dealer for spot or right below spot if its about just the silver. The premium stuff you can sell for profit if you hold on to it

The thought process is not about melt value, its about resell value. You buy the name to get the premium, if its about pure silver you buy any name and sell it to a dealer for spot or right below spot if its about just the silver. The premium stuff you can sell for profit if you hold on to it

I can understand that point.

I do not see any reason to pay a premium for Pamp versus other well known brands. By well known, I am referring to those that are more recognized globally and not just in the US, though I suspect that matters less to most here.

For bars, I think JM, Englehard, Perth Mint and RCM are easily as well known if not more than Pamp. At the least, I see a lot more of their product for sale in silver.

I would also prefer ASE, Maple Leafs and 90% US silver coins to them. For another thing, I do not believe that Hugh Wood insures bars, only coins.

Yes, bsshog40. All .999 silver is the same as far as being silver and I also prefer to not buy the fancy silver bars that carry a big premium because of the brand name. That said, I don't buy or trust those silver rounds and bars where the manufacturer is not identified on the round or bar. If I don't know who made it, how can I be sure if it's .999 or just silver plated base metal. APMEX and others sell a very attractive 10 oz silver bar with a Morgan dollar shown on it but there is no indication as to who made it. Does anyone here know?

Guest Golddog3

Talking about premiums, do the Roger Sherman rounds carry a premium and what do you all think about them?

I think PerryHall got to the business-end of this. Certain refiners have earned a reputation for consistent quality and accuracy. Their hallmarked products are better accepted by commercial processors than products from small and unidentified producers.

As for designs on bars, that is a matter of individual taste and opinion. Some might like the product of some small business and pay a premium, and others might view the same product as unassayed bullion.

Were I buying silver for long-term, I'd buy large certified commercial bars at the smallest premium over melt as possible.

I agree Perry. I stay away from shiesty looking bullion. If I can get sae's fairly cheap, I'd rather stay with those. At least I know where they came from. lol

I just looked on ebay, silver is a little over $22 going into the weekend, Yet Pamp is still going strong at a average of $38. Thats a $16 premium on average. I find that insane to pay so much more, The funny part is people allow the prices to stay that high because they continue to pay it. People set the market not dealers, if people stopped buying at those number, dealers would have to adjust pricing accordingly.