• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cracked the Top Ten posted by Jackson

12 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

A "distraction set" has turned into a registry top ten

One thing I particularly enjoy about the Collectors Society Registry is the variety of ways that people assemble sets and that are included in the registry.

There are type sets by denomination and by century...series short sets, one-per-dates and whole sets. Some sets are broken up according to design changes in the series or even a year or two special design. Of course if you care to assemble a set by topical or themed, a world set from a country, medals, creative sets with just ships or horses or fish--there is a place for all of these collecting interests in the Custom/Signature sets.

As someone without the patience to assemble a huge set of 100 or more coins, I really enjoy short sets like the Mercury 1941 through 1945 sixteen coin set; the Walking Liberty Short Set of 1941 thru 1947 which is 20 coins, the Buffalo nickel short set from 1934 through 1938 which includes the S/D and D/D varieties for an added challenge.

I also have my Seated Liberty Half Dollar Collection. It is a one-per-date set and I know I would have never undertaken the collecting of these coins with a goal being a complete set. A one-per-date set spanning the decades from 1839 to 1891 is hard enough, especially considering many of the last years of minting had some pretty miniscule mintages.

My goal for this set has been XF40 to AU58 range--and so far so good. I've picked off many of the easier dates while at the same time sticking with my standards and what appeals to my eye. Old, crusty coins with clear devices and no major distractions. I can already foresee that finishing a few of the dates will require me to drop my standards to F or VF and all I can hope for is a problem free example with honest wear.

So the latest addition is the first year of issue--the 1839 (with drapery) in a solid XF which I got as part of a larger trade in the Moneymarketplace on the forums.As always, Happy Hunting e1........Jackson

13785.jpg

See more journals by Jackson

That's a pretty cool set Jackson and I can sympathize with you not having the patience for a 100+ coin set. Currently, I'm distracted from a 105 coin Morgan set at 72 coins while only being 68% complete. Oh well I'll eventually get there, good thing I got the keys out of the way first.

Right now I'm working on a spin-off set of my Inspirational Ladies set featuring feminine seated national personifications and goddesses from around the world. Within that set is a type set of seated liberty featuring examples of all the seated designs from the half-dime to the dollar.

Here's a link to my new set

http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/wcm/CoinCustomSetGallery.aspx?s=13319

For now I have not come up with a name for it yet so I call it a set with no name. All the best in life and your collecting endeavors.

Gary

Jackson, I guess patience runs out in me also. I had a great 1855-O Seated half for 2 years and never came up with any other date coins to start a mint set so I traded it to cbc last month. Those are some beautiful coins, :) Your set looks great!!

Jackson,

Great looking set in the middle grades. I'm not much for toned coins but that 1859 is really appealing for some reason. Keep up the good work on this "distraction" set and you may be surprised where you go.

Michael

thanks everyone..I do like that old crusty patina on a coin.

Gary_ I always enjoy perusing through your sets and this new set looks like another winner--great presentation.

L.Queen--I suspect that your comment was meant as mocking or derisive but you appear somewhat right in that there are only 2 dozen or so sets in this category ( but there are entire clubs and special ANA groups who collect nothing but seated coinage, so your summation couldn't be more wrong).

As to your comment about me having "a lot of fun with my valuable set" which few people would want--value was never a consideration when I decided to build this set. Value is never a consideration when I build a set-whether it is a top Five Walker set or a circulated buffalo nickel album--it's all about the coins because I'm a collector and hobbyist.

I set the grade criteria at XF/AU and it has taken years to get this far because of my pickiness for original, uncleaned coins with natural patina. It can be an even greater challenge to collect a set of circulated but problem-free coins than it would be to build an uncirculated more valuable set. The backhanded insult missed the mark.

Great looking half there. I always liked lightly circulated coins - wonder whose hands they might have passed through a hundred years ago or more. I only collect Seated coins for type sets (Rick 's 1855-O was a nice upgrade there) and my 1889 Mint set (the year my grandfather was born).

Your walker short set is just ahead of mine - i'm in sixth place, but your photos and descriptions are superb and give me some incentive to try to improve mine. Ignore the insults and have fun collecting what you like.

CBC..we've both moved up a notch recently in the Walker set..you are now #5 in the set--only the 3 Real Big Boys are ahead of us...

By the way, have you ever looked at the coins in the #3 set by GM CHOW ( or something like that) ?..Amazingly beautiful array of rim toners, sushine toners, full coin tones..just a fun set to look through....

Everyone should take the time to look through Chow's set in the Walker half short sets..it's the #3 ranked set...

Excellent Journal entry!

You're doing a fine job with your sets----keep up the good work---everyone!!

You're right NGC has made it both fun and easy to compete on whatever level and in whatever category that you like to!! :)

Heartfelt congratulations!

Regardless if it is long set, or short, it takes a LOT of time, effort & green to crack the top 10.

I've been working on getting to the top 10 of the Proof Franklin Half Dollar sets. Another short set that is gaining interest from boomers like myself, and getting there is not easy.

I am very glad you posted, as I was getting a bit discouraged, but seeing someone else who has made the long climb has reinvigorated me. Thank you, sir, for the much needed inspiration!

Again, my congratulations!

Regards,

Doug