• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cheerios Penny

11 posts in this topic

The 2000 Cheerios Penny that was released in the same amnner as the Dollar has the possible variety of "Wide AM" in America. My question is how are you suppose to know prior to submitting it, if you so chose to do that, since it is in it's own cardboard and plastic holder.

DSCN2909.JPG

I would imagine that this coin has to be submitted intact to be considered a Cheerios Penny. Do they automatically add that attribution when grading?

I'm not sure if the designation even exists for the cent. All I've heard of is the AM version. If opened, I think it is just a normal cent and cannot be distinguished from one or another. If it gets opened and the Wide AM is there, then it just gets designated as Wide AM, nothing about Cheerios. The Sac is only distinguished from the others by the specific tail feathers and I think were the only ones distributed through the Cheerios packaging and is why it is designated with the Cheerios title. . I may be wrong.

If submitted in the package it will get the Cheerios Cent designation. To the best of my knowledge not a single WAM has ever been found in a Cheerios package. The WAM's were apparently created later in the year.

If submitted in the package it will get the Cheerios Cent designation. To the best of my knowledge not a single WAM has ever been found in a Cheerios package. The WAM's were apparently created later in the year.

It may be the "Close AM" then that is attributed to the cheerios penny.

cheeriosAM.jpg

However they make it kind of confusing on the PCGS Web Site as it relates to the Cheerios Penny. And Yes bsshog40 they did distribute pennies as well and that was a picture of the one laying right next to me. But apparently it was the "Close AM" designation I am asking about. I would assume they would automatically attribute that when they open it if it is present. Other wise I see no reason it would be on that slab.

cheeriosWideAMPCGS.jpg

See that is why I was confused on the Wide AM instead of the Close AM it would seem.

Might be able to tell with x-ray.

Well if there was any money at stake here maybe that would be an option. ;)

I noticed that PCGS only went to 66 on that cheerios penny. That does not seem to hard to beat with the looks of this one. Of-course the reverse could be bad for some reason. Maybe if my Dad had bought the big box of cheerios he would have got the Sacagawea Dollar instead.

He sent me down, he lives in Alaska now days, aq big box full of Pennies wrapped individually and misc other stuff in baby food jars I ate out of back in 66 I guess. These pennies are all red and many of them are just perfect. I have been culling through them for two days now and I am exhausted from looking through that loupe for all this time.

I was really hoping to find a 1909-S VDB, a double strike 1955, or something like that in there but not yet. (shrug)

And Yes bsshog40 they did distribute pennies as well and that was a picture of the one laying right next to me. But apparently it was the "Close AM" designation I am asking about. I would assume they would automatically attribute that when they open it if it is present. Other wise I see no reason it would be on that slab. [/size][/b]

I don't think Bobby is saying that Lincoln's weren't distributed, only that these weren't any different from other Lincoln's. Sacagawea Dollar's on the other hand had diagnostics unique from other Sacagawea Dollars.

Ok. I misread that then. I never knew there was a Sacagawea Penny until today. It would look as though the price listed is much higher for the packaging then if there is no difference in the actual penny.

They have a MS66RD at $50.00 where just a regular penny same year, grade, etc.. is only $2.00

Quite the difference for them to be the same. Talk about buying a slab. How about buying a piece of cardboard? (shrug)

I haven't looked at NGC's yet. It has been difficult to navigate the past few days and I don't even think they list it.

Thanks