• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Interesting find today- Toned 1966 SMS Set

15 posts in this topic

I was helping a friend's parents clean out their attic in preparation for a large garage sell and came across a box marked "Coins". Inside the box was a large assortment of empty coin albums, empty mint bags, empty bank rolls from the '20s-'50s, a few partial mint and proof sets, several SMS sets and other odds and ends. My friend's Dad had a large collection at one time but has been selling off most of what he owns over the last several years. According to his best recollection, the box had been in their attic for a number of years and seemed almost forgotten about until this morning after we pulled it out and went through the box. The SMS Sets and the partial mint/proof sets had some toning but not as strong as these here.

1966SMSSetFullObv_zps2c93e972.jpg

1966SMSSetFullRev_zps51b04522.jpg

I'm not sure when these were purchased, or where they came from. But I do know they were stored in a south Louisiana attic for many, many years. I just thought it was pretty cool to find a full set with this kind of toning and thought I would share. I think the colors may be a little questionable but they are still nicely toned nonetheless. The picture links bring you to the Photobucket Album where there are more pictures.

Opinions are welcomed as to whether these are AT or, hopefully, NT. And if they could possibly grade.

Opinions are welcomed as to whether these are AT or, hopefully, NT. And if they could possibly grade.

Pretty set and naturally toned from being stored in a hot attic.

I see no reason why this set wouldn't grade yet if it was mine I'd rather have it in the mint holder which is already slab like.

I agree they look very nice. Probably some nice storage toning in a nice humid area. We get quite a bit of that humidity here in Waskom, Tx which I'm 2 miles from the La. state line. lol Nice looking set!

I already have a nice 1966 SMS set that I purchased from another CS member(wdrob) and it is graded by NGC with a MS67 FT Dime and a MS67 5FS Nickel. I think this set could grade between 65-67, maybe even get a * Designation on a couple of those coins too. I think it would make a very nice Registry Set addition if it were to receive a couple of * designations. Still havent made a final decision yet though.

Is this an original mint holder? If so, why would anyone want to break that up to get it slabbed?! Bah...humbug!

jom

Looks to me that someone has already broken this set open to at least turn all the coins in the same direction. That is something you never seen in a 66 or 67 SMS. As for the toning, although it happened naturally, I don't think they'd slab those, but the quarter and the nickel are super nice.

As for the toning, although it happened naturally, I don't think they'd slab those.

Could you explain a little further? I'm not very familiar with the toned coins NGC will slab or not. The colors are very beautiful though. I'm usually not a fan of toned coins but this set has me wanting to start collecting more toners now!

Deerefan, to me the colors just don't look natural. I know they were intentionally AT'd, so they are NT but not Market Acceptable, to me anyhow.

Thanks Coindude. I'm still learning so that's why I asked you guys first. Probably why I havent gotten into toners yet because I still can't tell if it's been caused naturally or if it was done on purpose. Sometimes I can, but when the colors are more subtle and not wildly outrageous, it becomes difficult for me.

It very natural and not AT'd. I have owned countless SMS sets that had much stronger toning.

Unless you think it will grade high not worth submitting as there are enough out there like this.

Nice set

!

I think they would get graded because the toning looks like it took place over many years. But i don't think the toning is reason enough to get it graded. The only thing to do is keep it or put it up for auction on ebay. It would probably sell for 20 or 30 for the whole thing. That value doesn't make it worth slabbing in my opinion. I think the half dollar is beautiful though.