• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wow... $450 for this toned Peace $

38 posts in this topic

Seems like a lotta premium for a little toning. Don't know about the VAM but it is highly unlikely it would make a common date 62 anywhere near that pricey. I think somebody just really liked the toning.

To me, that's a $30 coin, maybe $35. On a non-key date, that sort of toning only is interesting at a gem level or better. The world is full of MS62 Peace Dollars, and I don't care how pretty the toning is.

A small splash of less than optimal toning prompts someone to pay $400 for a $40 coin? hm

Some of these toned Peace dollar guys are truly desperate. (shrug)

I think it's worth more than most of you are giving it credit for but not $450

I'm curious. Is a small, so-so patch of color really worth a premium on a Peace dollar? You know this market better than I although I must admit that I have little motivation to learn it in any depth.

If its a scan the colors might be more vibrant in hand. That lime green is uncommon. But 450 is strong money.

I think it's worth more than most of you are giving it credit for but not $450

I'll agree that some are underestimating the value (as I'm actively trying to find nicely toned Peace $'s...a CHORE AND A HALF...and this one is not one I consider nicely toned, though some just LOVE crescent toners and will pay up). However, no way is THIS coin worth the 'sold for' price, though SOMEONE wanted it enough to just hit the BIN, which in this case, stands for 'Buyer Is Nuts'...can you spell 'under water'? FORTUNATELY it's NOT a huge loss for the buyer, but it will NEVER be worth what he/she paid, unless silver hits, what, $520 plus per oz, or so?.

I'm curious. Is a small, so-so patch of color really worth a premium on a Peace dollar?

My experience is that toning that would be considered neutral or so-so on a Morgan Dollar will fetch a decent premium on a Peace Dollar. With this said, minor toning does not usually fetch premiums that large. I think $110 - $150 is probably closer to the going rate, and I think that is too much personally (and I collect toned Peace Dollars). I'm sure others may disagree with me. While some of these sell at enormous premiums as BINs to people who pull the trigger too quickly, true auctions show pricing more consistent with that I listed.

C'mon Son ! Toned Peace $ are as rare as they come ! Didnt you see what that 23-S MS64 went for ? The meteoric rise and stratospheric price of that coin lifted all toned Peace $ boats ! If a MS64 23-S can sell for 10Gs+ a MS62 24 can BIN for $450 !

Now is the time to sell ! If I had toned Peace $ I would send them all to Shane and start the bidding at .99 cents, sit back and watch the bids roll in ! Riches await those that are willing to take a risk !

C'mon Son ! Toned Peace $ are as rare as they come ! Didnt you see what that 23-S MS64 went for ? The meteoric rise and stratospheric price of that coin lifted all toned Peace $ boats ! If a MS64 23-S can sell for 10Gs+ a MS62 24 can BIN for $450 !

Now is the time to sell ! If I had toned Peace $ I would send them all to Shane and start the bidding at .99 cents, sit back and watch the bids roll in ! Riches await those that are willing to take a risk !

I disagree. I think the market is bifurcated on these like it is for the rest of the market. Coins with a decent amount of eye appealing (read as above average) toning will fetch large premiums. Coins that are so-so and have more minor toning are not doing as well as they were previously. I recently sold three that I purchased for resale. While I made a profit (and I am not complaining at all about the prices realized), they seemed somewhat lower to me than they had been previously. Of course, my sample size is small and my limited results unscientific.

Shane has seen a decent amount of these in the last year; I would love to hear observations on the toned Peace Dollar market generally.

Didnt you see what that 23-S MS64 went for ? The meteoric rise and stratospheric price of that coin lifted all toned Peace $ boats ! If a MS64 23-S can sell for 10Gs+ a MS62 24 can BIN for $450 !

One more thing... Are you referring to the 1923-S Peace Dollar that sold in the recent Legend Morphy auction (the one mistakenly described here and ATS as "ex-Duckor")? If so, that coin was in a MS65 holder when it sold. The 1923-S is a condition rarity in MS65 and fetches a few thousand on its own with no color. The color premium wasn't as large as you are intimating in your post.

You dont have toned Peace $? I thought you had plenty.

Someone must of fancied the OP's coin in question...it sold. I had an unusual auction a couple months back. I posted a toned PCGS 1922 MS63 Peace Dollar that went for nearly $300.00 (Started listing at .99).

What a coin is worth truly is in the "eye of the beholder."

My experience is that toning that would be considered neutral or so-so on a Morgan Dollar will fetch a decent premium on a Peace Dollar. With this said, minor toning does not usually fetch premiums that large. I think $110 - $150 is probably closer to the going rate, and I think that is too much personally (and I collect toned Peace Dollars). I'm sure others may disagree with me. While some of these sell at enormous premiums as BINs to people who pull the trigger too quickly, true auctions show pricing more consistent with that I listed.

Tend to agree with this and kryptonitecomic's comments as well.