• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade plus AT or NT?

18 posts in this topic

O.k., lets try this:

http://www.naturescapesphotography.com/Business/Silver-Dollars/27853098_vqtkdk#!i=2490743942&k=nJ7dmMJ&lb=1&s=O

At least it works for me and provides a larger image, albeit slower than I might like.

I appreciate any input/opinion.

Thanks,

Dave

For some reason (unless I am missing something), I can only view the obverse; thus, my comments are limited to the obverse.

The coin has clear wear on the obverse and I would probably grade the coin AU53 maximum. Also, I am not very comfortable with the photographs, and they do not show, among other things, the luster very well. There could easily be problems concealed by the photography (e.g. cleaning, etc.). If you are looking to buy this coin, my advice would be to pass on it. There are better, more attractive AU coins out there. I see nothing that would make me question the toning.

There are some very noticeable marks on the cheek/chin/nose so I think MS63 max for this coin. I don't like the spots on the chin either. The fields look like they've been wiped too. I can't see any telltale cleaning lines from the pick, but the fields in front of Ms. Liberty look different than the areas around the edges. From the pics, I don't see a lot of mint luster remaining.

This is just me, but I would not buy that coin.

For some reason (unless I am missing something), I can only view the obverse; thus, my comments are limited to the obverse.

The coin has clear wear on the obverse and I would probably grade the coin AU53 maximum. Also, I am not very comfortable with the photographs, and they do not show, among other things, the luster very well. There could easily be problems concealed by the photography (e.g. cleaning, etc.). If you are looking to buy this coin, my advice would be to pass on it. There are better, more attractive AU coins out there. I see nothing that would make me question the toning.

I can't see the wear from the photos, but I agree with passing on the coin.

The fields look like they've been wiped too. I can't see any telltale cleaning lines from the pick, but the fields in front of Ms. Liberty look different than the areas around the edges. From the pics, I don't see a lot of mint luster remaining.

This is exactly why I said that I wouldn't trust the photographs. I suspect the same thing that you do regarding the coin having been cleaned or wiped, but it could also be due to the way the coin is photographed too.

With regards to wear, there appears to be rub in several places. Some of the most prominent include on the hair above Miss Liberty's ear and in her hairline. Judging by the limited luster in the fields discernible even with those photographs, this would also help support the wear hypothesis.

image_zps94a2b2d7.jpg

Edited to add image - The second images (blown up), show what I perceive as wear more clearly than the first functional link.

The fields look like they've been wiped too. I can't see any telltale cleaning lines from the pick, but the fields in front of Ms. Liberty look different than the areas around the edges. From the pics, I don't see a lot of mint luster remaining.

This is exactly why I said that I wouldn't trust the photographs. I suspect the same thing that you do regarding the coin having been cleaned or wiped, but it could also be due to the way the coin is photographed too.

With regards to wear, there appears to be rub in several places. Some of the most prominent include on the hair above Miss Liberty's ear and in her hairline. Judging by the limited luster in the fields discernible even with those photographs, this would also help support the wear hypothesis.

image_zps94a2b2d7.jpg

Edited to add image - The second images (blown up), show what I perceive as wear more clearly than the first functional link.

Thanks Kenny. I can see some wear in the hair above the forehead, but the hair above the ear was inconclusive to me. I've seen a lot of MS coins that exhibited that and I thought it was considered a weak strike.

There are some very noticeable marks on the cheek/chin/nose so I think MS63 max for this coin. I don't like the spots on the chin either. The fields look like they've been wiped too. I can't see any telltale cleaning lines from the pick, but the fields in front of Ms. Liberty look different than the areas around the edges. From the pics, I don't see a lot of mint luster remaining.

MS 63 ???? This coin is at best Au 50 - Au 53 .

MS 63 ???? This coin is at best Au 50 - Au 53 .

Yep. Missed it.

Thank you all very much for your detailed comments. I did decide to pass.

I have learned some very expensive lessons over the past year. Far too many.

Gotta love the expertise and knowledge resident here!

Thanks again.

Dave

Is that damage / graffiti behind nose and lower lip?

The edge of rims look like lighty circulated as well. I can't see any color, so why the AT question? The orange by the UNUM?

I can not tell if any luster, may even go down to XF45 if none.

Is this a picture or a scan?

There are two side to coin, just sayin, unless I'm missing something. It appears to be a scan which is impossible to offer a grade opinion, coupled with no reverse shot, I don't know what to tell ya.