• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Newest Newp - PL Shield Nickel

40 posts in this topic

Ever since I saw this beauty come up on Heritage, I've been saving all the cash I could, and even went to the drastic lengths of selling quite a few coins. I have had some bad luck with the Shield nickel series before - a few years ago, when I was first starting with the prooflike set, I bought an ANACS graded 63PL. When I tried to cross it to NGC, the coin came back as a straight 61 - and I was really disappointed. To be fair, the coin wasn't that great.

However, I have now had the chance to redeem myself. And I did so in Style! This gorgeous gem is graded MS-65 * PL by NGC, and is one of the new centerpieces of my PL collection. It is only one of 2 graded for the type, and is the highest graded by far. The other is also an 1871, graded 62PL. The coin was in a previous Heritage sale where it sold for more than I just bought it for - and I was willing to go very much higher on this one. Needless to say, I'm pumped, and I can't wait to get it in hand!

I know there are a couple of Shield nickel specialits, so if you guys could tell me about any varieties or anything about this coin, please do so :)

187165StarPLrev_zps4b1ad643.jpg

187165StarPLobv_zps2a20687f.jpg

18715cobv_zpsb2a8a849.jpg

18715crev_zps5eef3b7c.jpg

No variety that I can see. 1871 was not a big year for varieties - a couple decent RPDs, one DDR, and that's about it. Perhaps due to the lower mintage the mint employees weren't quite so rushed in 1871.

I am surprised that this is an MS65+. The plus (according to NGC) has superior technical merit and above average eye appeal. I think the weakness in strike in the upper right quadrant of the reverse does not match the plus description. I don't think I'd give it a 65 due to the obverse marks near the rim (planchet flaws?). None of that means it isn't a very nice coin - it truly is. But perhaps other buyers thought it didn't make MS65+ either, and that's why you were able to score it for less money than you thought would necessary.

I can't find your coin on Heritage. Perhaps it hasn't made it into the auction archives yet.

No variety that I can see. 1871 was not a big year for varieties - a couple decent RPDs, one DDR, and that's about it. Perhaps due to the lower mintage the mint employees weren't quite so rushed in 1871.

I am surprised that this is an MS65+. The plus (according to NGC) has superior technical merit and above average eye appeal. I think the weakness in strike in the upper right quadrant of the reverse does not match the plus description. I don't think I'd give it a 65 due to the obverse marks near the rim (planchet flaws?). None of that means it isn't a very nice coin - it truly is. But perhaps other buyers thought it didn't make MS65+ either, and that's why you were able to score it for less money than you thought would necessary.

I can't find your coin on Heritage. Perhaps it hasn't made it into the auction archives yet.

It doesn't have a plus (+), it has a star (★). The star doesn't imply anything about the technical/numeric grade. It only implies above average eye appeal or almost PL surfaces. In this case, I presume it's given for eye appeal, since the coin already received the full "PL" designation.

The coin has a star, not a plus. I haven't seen it in hand yet, but that means exceptional eye appeal. I feel like the big pictures above greatly exaggerate the planchet flaws. I'm not sure if the star is for being borderline DMPL, or for having cameo contrast (although I'm guessing its the latter, based on teh second pictures).

Now, to be clear about the price - it went for an extraordinary premium over a normal example of the date. Heritage price history has the date and grade in the $1500 range. The last sale of this coin was in 2006, for $3k. I was willing to go to $4200 - but I was able to win it for $2800. So, yes, I got it for less than I was willing to pay - but it still went for a very large premium.

The coin has a star, not a plus. I haven't seen it in hand yet, but that means exceptional eye appeal. I feel like the big pictures above greatly exaggerate the planchet flaws. I'm not sure if the star is for being borderline DMPL, or for having cameo contrast (although I'm guessing its the latter, based on teh second pictures).

Now, to be clear about the price - it went for an extraordinary premium over a normal example of the date. Heritage price history has the date and grade in the $1500 range. The last sale of this coin was in 2006, for $3k. I was willing to go to $4200 - but I was able to win it for $2800. So, yes, I got it for less than I was willing to pay - but it still went for a very large premium.

You got the coin that you wanted and were willing to pay a premium for it. That's all that matters. Nice addition.

I think the coin actually looks attractive. It will be interesting to see what it looks like in hand.

It appears that the die was pitted or close to the end of its life, and that the PL surfaces may have occurred right after a die repair (probably the last repair before this die was discarded)? The die chip on the number 5 would also suggest that this die was close to the end of its life. Is that consistent with what you would think Jason?

The cameo contrast in the 2nd set of pictures (scans) is impossible to tell whether it will look like that in hand. I hope you scored on that front. I look forward to seeing better pictures!

(thumbs u

My mistake confusing the star with the plus. Wasn't wearing my glasses when I read the initial post. Mea culpa.

Not a problem :hi:

This coin was actually graded before they used the Plus. I haven't seen it in hand, so it may very well deserve a plus. I think the planchet flaws are greatly exaggerated in the pics.

Always a good score when you get your coin and already have a headstart on the next.

Always a good score when you get your coin and already have a headstart on the next.

Unfortunately the next one went for more than I could chase: http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=1184&lotNo=2769&lotIdNo=120034

I would bet that walker looks very nice in hand judging by the pics.

I thought you would be chasing this one.

http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=1184&lotNo=2211&lotIdNo=120021

Unfortunately the next one went for more than I could chase: http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=1184&lotNo=2769&lotIdNo=120034

Don't feel badly. If I had more money, the NGC MS67 DPL Gold Dollar would have been mine.

Don't feel badly. If I had more money, the NGC MS67 DPL Gold Dollar would have been mine.

Well coinman how has your PL search been going? Start a thread if you picked any up. Or just show me the way if I missed it.

I'm happy for you, but Yikes, I would sweat spending that $ without having seen the coin in-hand. I truly hope it is a great contribution to your fine PL collection.

I would bet that walker looks very nice in hand judging by the pics.

I thought you would be chasing this one.

http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=1184&lotNo=2211&lotIdNo=120021

I was watching that one. There were actually two DPL Seated Halves in this auction, both graded 63 DPL (The other one was an 1891). There was also an AU55 * PL Bust Half. Ultimately, the decision not to pursue these coins came down to three things:

1.) I really want higher grades for my set (I'm trying to get a minimum of 64, unless it is a unique or exceptionally difficult type).

2.) I only have so much money, and so I can't buy everything.

3.) For the Seated Halves, I already have an exceptional example, so it has to be a real stunner and a definite upgrade for me to replace it.

There was a very large number of prooflike coins in this Heritage auction, moreso than usual. I wanted many more than I could afford, so I had to choose which ones to chase. Ultimately, I only got the Shield nickel, but I really wanted the Walker as well. Those were, I felt, the two rarest types (that were in my price range).

physics,

Glad you got the #1 coin on your list. I have a couple Heritage bids that won't end until this Sunday. I'll be a little nervous until they hammer. I too had to pare down what I could afford vs. what I wanted from this auction. There are so many up for sale. Some dates/mintmarks in PL or DPL that I would like to pick up haven't been at a Heritage auction for over 2 years. I kept telling myself you can't own them all and others will come along.

I'm hoping I get the one coin I really want and wish you congrats on your success!

Joe