• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wow are these movers and shakers

5 posts in this topic

Never seen this before

Greetings once again my fellow collectors. It has been awhile since I last posted as I have been really busy pursuing another adventure I have had for a long time (more on that later this week)

I was on the phone talking to another long time member here on the CS the other night about Franklin Proofs and when I went to look up the FMV for a particular year I couldn't believe what I was looking at. There was NO Red (decrease in FMV) in the whole series. ONLY Green (FMV going up) I have known for awhile that Franklins were becoming more popular in the collection world but WOW, this was a really fantastic surprise. Looks like many collectors have listen and gotten in on this collection before it really goes thru the roof. I for one am glad I got in on Franklin Proofs before the upswing started. I hope to ride this "wave" for a long time as it looks like it is just the beginning.

13486.jpg

See more journals by moondoggy

Yes Moondoggy I agree with your assessment .although this series pricing has fluctuated over the last year. it is mainly going up. Especially the higher grade coins. Last week a 1956 pf69 ultra sold for almost $3800 about 18 months a go the FMV was about $2250.

As you stated I also believe the wave is just starting and there is still plenty of room for growth for collectors to jump in.

The popularity is definitely increasing. The crazy thing is some of the prices people are asking for these coins are sometimes FMV times 3. Although I don't see those coins selling at those prices.

Mike,

Looking at the less availability of the mint and proof sets before 1965 due to silver melts it is understandable that the values will climb on all the coins in those sets just as the values of the raw sets themselves have done. I have managed to build almost a complete circulated and proof set collection 1965 to date but the earlier sets are offered less as trades for graded coins when others trade with me. Patience will get me some of those sets later on and grow the collection towards the 40's. :)

Moondoggy, I can appreciate your post. I jumped on the Proof Franklin bandwagon awhile back and completed a set. I mainly have PF63 - PF67 coins. I lost 8 auctions and was empty handed at two coin shows trying to find a Type 1 - 1956. The people listing these guys are making some "coin" (no pun intended). How did I get mine? I found a PCGS coin that was not being adverstised as Type 1 online. I inquired and used a high resolution photo to determine that it was in fact a Type 1. I bought the coin and then crossed it over to NGC. The engineer in me likes all the sets to be in the same holder. Go figure!

Well done ! "There is more than one way to skin a cat" or so I was told many moons ago....

Great to hear you are on the wagon, looks like its going to be a great ride ....

Mike