• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

31 posts in this topic

Teletrade? Not for me.

I agree. Most of the items start at strong money (at or above guide), and very few coins interest me there. It has become a repository for overgraded coins. The decent material is truly sparse when I have looked. I make purchases from them maybe twice a year at most. I think many buyers are like me and are turned off by this; this cannot be good for the seller.

As a seller, I have sold through eBay through both myself and through consignments to Shane (Kryptonitecomics), and I have consigned through Great Collections. I can say that I had positive experiences with both forums. I have contacted Heritage, but decided not to consign with them for personal reasons. I would definitely give them a look for higher priced and esoteric material though. If the coins are valuable enough I would also consider Scottsman; I have never used them, but I have had pleasant transactions with James Garcia in the past, and would consider working with him too if the need arose to consign to a large auction house.

Also, don't forget about the BST forums here and ATS.

One more obvious assumption that my entire initial response relies on: venue depends on what you are selling. No one venue is perfect or cost effective for every coin.

For instance (and not to be rude), the last several BST threads of yours have problem coins in them. I do not think Heritage would be the best venue. Teletrade would be okay, but this strikes me more as eBay material (with a more diverse group of collectors with a larger pool of bidders).

I'm inclined to sell with Teletrade. What do you think? Then again Ebay has high fees, but lots of buyers.

Please post opinions.

Thank You

My impression is that TeleTrade is on the downside these days, and GreatCollections seems to be the better alternative for that type of material. I believe their fees are somewhat more attractive than those at Heritage.

What kind of material are you selling?

It really depends on what you are selling. I do not use Teletrade, but I use Heritage, Great Collections, and ebay, depending on the item(s). I recently sold two coins with Legend-Morphy and had a good experience doing so. I also sell direct to other collectors, sell to dealers, consign to dealers. It just depends; there is no one-size-fits-all selling solution.

It really depends on what you are selling. I do not use Teletrade, but I use Heritage, Great Collections, and ebay, depending on the item(s). I recently sold two coins with Legend-Morphy and had a good experience doing so. I also sell direct to other collectors, sell to dealers, consign to dealers. It just depends; there is no one-size-fits-all selling solution.
lotta truth in that statement.

I don't care for Teletrade. Bad return experience - left hand did not know what the right hand was doing.

Was told to return a problem coin free of charge, when they got it back they charged me a restocking fee and of course nobody could remember talking to me.

FeeBay is expensive but things move quickly.

Been hearing good things about Great Collections.

Good Luck.

I'm inclined to sell with Teletrade. What do you think? Then again Ebay has high fees, but lots of buyers.

Please post opinions.

Thank You

If you have excellent images and are willing to wait for your price, ebay has lower fees than Heritage or Teletrade. I had no problem selling quality coins at a fair BIN price on ebay during my year of selling. But I had accurate images of the coins. Since 99% of the sellers don't, ebay buyers bought with confidence from me. I also offered a no questions return policy, so the combination of images and policy to serve the customer means I sold for a better net than I could ever get from an auction company. I would take ebay selling over any auction house any time for coins under $2K as the venue to sell coins.

Best, HT

It completely depends on what you want to sell.

Heritage is fine for US, but I would not use them for World coins. Consider bundling your consignment with a dealer that can get you 103%-106% of hammer.

eBay you can sell lower value items, but if the item is generic, you're going to get wholesale prices and then pay strong selling fees and you need to know all the hoops you will have to jump thru. Also, if you're not a consistent seller, you will absolutely get lower final sale prices. Consider consigning them to a frequent seller. The extra few percent you're going to pay will probably be offset by the higher selling prices.

TeleTrade. Blah. Don't like them at all. It's the dumping ground for junk and the prices realized reflect that.

HA has the best and the brightest, but three months from consignment to a check is an impediment for those who do not have many hundreds of thousands in working capital. TT does have good staff but made tactical errors IMO. Scottsman is ably represented by James. Ebay is OK with lots of conditionals. GC has a great reputation, but some coins may sell weak based on image, etc.. A straight sale may be the best option for generic type gold, etc..

How about boxes of $2.50 and $5.00 NGC MS-62 Indian gold? How would you sell?

Type gold like that would be better to shop around at a coin show. Make up in your mind a high price you want to get and negotiate from there.

Thanks. I'm dipping my foot in the water at the BST thread here and ATS. I'm cutting dealer buy./sell right down the middle to a "fair" price. Take a look.

Thank You.

Type gold like that would be better to shop around at a coin show. Make up in your mind a high price you want to get and negotiate from there.

This sounds like a poor strategy to me. These are readily available. Starting out at a "high" price will make many buyers (myself included) keep walking. Premium quality better coins will receive attention at premium prices; generics, not so much.

Hands down NOT at any auction! Even if you managed to negotiate an absurdly small 5% seller's premium netted of overhead, that's still more than the typical margin on such coins.

Your best bet is to sell them outright. Our website shows our buy prices at any given time, and it's pretty simple to shop such coins around (I honestly don't know if our bids are "best", but they are competitive).

Hands down NOT at any auction! Even if you managed to negotiate an absurdly small 5% seller's premium netted of overhead, that's still more than the typical margin on such coins.

Your best bet is to sell them outright. Our website shows our buy prices at any given time, and it's pretty simple to shop such coins around (I honestly don't know if our bids are "best", but they are competitive).

I agree. And one, if not both of those coin types were mentioned by the OP as being for sale several months ago. ;)

I agree. And one, if not both of those coin types were mentioned by the OP as being for sale several months ago. ;)

You actually read the sales forum here? ;) I thought I would be one of the few to remember the BST threads you reference.

You actually read the sales forum here? ;) I thought I would be one of the few to remember the BST threads you reference.

:D

I couldn't remember which NGC forum or forums they were on, but I do remember reading about them.

This thread is starting to look and smell like Spam.

I ask a question, and answer a question.

What is the problem here?

Thank You.

I'm dipping my foot in the water at the BST thread here and ATS. I'm cutting dealer buy./sell right down the middle to a "fair" price. Take a look.

Spam.

I'm dipping my foot in the water at the BST thread here and ATS. I'm cutting dealer buy./sell right down the middle to a "fair" price. Take a look.

Spam.

Thank you have a nice day. HA should be proud.

Spam.

Yes, they should. Mark is top notch.

Spam.

HA just lost all my future business. Insulting clients is not a good business plan. MF has a history of insulting me.....nice work.

Congratulations.

Spam.

HA just lost all my future business. Insulting clients is not a good business plan. MF has a history of insulting me.....nice work.

Congratulations.

I am sure they will be heartbroken. :eyeroll: BTW, he wasn't insulting you.

The images are too vague on the BST section IMO. You could offer them to Rarcoa, Spectrum or Heritage, their offers are fair. As I said earlier going to a major show is one of the best ways to sell premium and other material.

I have gone to Staples to get flatbed scans on coins; ask for 600 dpi and jpeg type. They have been charging me around $3 per flatbed scan where 6 or more certifieds will fit. Then ask them to break them down to separate images on your flashdrive.

The images are too vague on the BST section IMO. You could offer them to Rarcoa, Spectrum or Heritage, their offers are fair. As I said earlier going to a major show is one of the best ways to sell premium and other material.

I have gone to Staples to get flatbed scans on coins; ask for 600 dpi and jpeg type. They have been charging me around $3 per flatbed scan where 6 or more certifieds will fit. Then ask them to break them down to separate images on your flashdrive.

OMG...Don't mention them I have them on BST....some MF might report this as spam!