• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Got my ANACS submission back!

10 posts in this topic

Finally after 2 months! Not that I was in any hurry though. This was the one with the shrunken 1980 Kennedy that I thought might be an error, but alas it was altered outside the mint. Per the ANACS statement:

CUT DOWN & RE-REEDED

Damaged outside the Mint. Not an error or other variety.

Not great news, but I do like the more detailed explanation you get from them on body bags (not sure they are all this detailed since this is my first submission). I also submitted an 1878 Rev. of 79 Morgan, and it was graded. I am posting a couple photos, for a guess the grade, and I will post the grade tomorrow. I'll only say that I guessed the grade correctly, and it did not have any net grade (whew!).

1879-2.jpg

1879-3.jpg

Greg,

I wish they had slabbed it, would have been a neat novelty, unfortunately it was a seldom seen bodybag.

Mike,

I don't think it was thumbed, and if it was it would have been net graded.

MS61 maybe, lots of nicks on the cheek and the wings look pretty scratched too . Overall a nice looking coin though, no major marks and a nice look smile.gif

I believe that the Morgan was "thumbed" also. I am going to say MS60. Athough with ANACS it is sometimes hard to say what grade they will assign to a coin.

Well, thanks for all your guesses, I hope it was fun for you! I disagree on the thumbing, as I have examined the coin closely and can find no evidence of it, however, what I believe you are seeing in the scan is really just honest wear. This is not an MS coin, it's a nice AU coin, and I knew that to begin with, and ANACS agreed. They gave it an AU-58, which I think is somewhat generous given the obverse, but I think they probably bumped it up since the reverse is pretty nice for an AU coin. My opinion was that the obverse was probably an AU-53 or AU-55, and the reverse was maybe a slider unc.