• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2013 Proof Sets

18 posts in this topic

$9.95 on the aftermarket in a year.... :(

Where do they get them from that they are able to sell them in a year for $9.95 .... That's the source I need to be buying from. hm

This will be first year that I am going to pass on buying the clad sets. Every year they lose their value and are worth a fraction of the issue price. I'll keep my date set up with a silver set despite the fact that losing money on them is very possible. (2012 seems to be at least a temporary exception.) At least they have silver in them which gives them some value.

This will be first year that I am going to pass on buying the clad sets. Every year they lose their value and are worth a fraction of the issue price. I'll keep my date set up with a silver set despite the fact that losing money on them is very possible. (2012 seems to be at least a temporary exception.) At least they have silver in them which gives them some value.

+1

I have a sub for 2 sets every year. One for my danscos and one for my proof collection. No need to try to change now even though most moderns aren't worth collecting anymore.

So, is that a good price?

I see where the 2012 sets are selling in the $80 range or more than 2X the issue price.

I quit getting these sets from the Mint when the state quarters ended, so I have no idea of value for these new sets.

So, is that a good price?

I would guess it is the only price right now. RWB mentioned $9.95 on the aftermarket in a year.But he never answered where they are getting them for a price to be able to market them for $9.95. I guess it must have been tongue and cheek.

I was just in the process of amassing a collection of proof and mint sets from multiple sources and that was one that I could not find. I put the date for the release on my calendar. Thought some others might have found it useful info.

I know that in a month or so it goes up to $34.95 or something like that.

I have a 2012 so that is good news to hear that it is increasing in value.

I think RWB comment was tongue in cheek but also was implying that for most moderns they come out of the mint high end end up low in the aftermarket shortly after release.

I have stopped buying Proof sets directly from the mint. The trouble is too many sets come with spots, especially on the "golden" dollars, finger prints and sometimes minor marks. Now a local dealer lets me pick through his sets. When you consider that you have to pay $4.95 postage, and only want one set paying the local guy a small profit actually makes sense.

I hear ya Bill... It seems like the mint is completely ignoring QC lately. I just got for the third time a set of the ATB coins for White Mountain. The Philadelphia coin looks like it went swimming and forgot to bring a towel before it left the mint... Three times in a row I have had this happen! I give up...

I have stopped buying Proof sets directly from the mint. The trouble is too many sets come with spots, especially on the "golden" dollars, finger prints and sometimes minor marks. Now a local dealer lets me pick through his sets. When you consider that you have to pay $4.95 postage, and only want one set paying the local guy a small profit actually makes sense.

I never did ask you whether the 2012 Anniversary Proof set I had sent to you was in good condition. I was holding my breath when I opened mine to check it out...it came out pretty nice. But given the QC issues I've heard about I was a bit nervous...

jom

It seems like the mint is completely ignoring QC lately. I just got for the third time a set of the ATB coins for White Mountain.

QC? if you are buying the sets I'm think of you're buying circulation coins. The QC is will it spend and work in the vending machines. I wouldn't expect to find anything better in those sets than I could get from a roll at the bank.

It seems like the mint is completely ignoring QC lately. I just got for the third time a set of the ATB coins for White Mountain.

QC? if you are buying the sets I'm think of you're buying circulation coins. The QC is will it spend and work in the vending machines. I wouldn't expect to find anything better in those sets than I could get from a roll at the bank.

I guess I am being picky, but it seems to me that if a collector is willing to shell out $10 plus shipping for $0.75 face value of two business strikes and a proof, all three coins should be top tier examples of the product. Dings, scratches, rubs, fingerprints, and other such offenses should not be found on these presentation pieces.

I just got my 5 star General set yesterday. They were all in great shape, although with all the fibers enclosed in the capsules with the coins, it looks like they were packaged in a linen factory....I know, I know...picky, picky, picky....