• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1872 Indian error cent

16 posts in this topic

I looked at the coin closely and on the side of this cud or die crack it is not straight. It almost looks like it is shaped like the wreath with rounded curves. strange looking coin! Does it add any value to the coin?

Years ago, when I was a dealer, I bought an accumulation of Indian cents that had five or six 1872 cents in it. There were a couple of pieces among that group that had this die break.

Would it be possible to get a better picture of it? It looks like it may even be two die cracks coming off different points of the rim. But I've seen better pictures of UFOs.

so when you sold them did this add any premium Bill?

No, I didn't get anything extra for them. I might have if I had pushed it, but I sold them as better date Indian cents. I never got into the die state thing when I was dealer. That's what this is. It is a die state, not an error.

I was curious about the value difference because of all the VAM errors or differences in silver dollars that sometimes garner a nice price difference.

Most die varieties are not worth any premium value over that shown in the price guides for a typical example of the date/type.

I took a much better looking pic at lunch today. File is large so I will have to use Photobucket later to get it to this site.