• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Not sure about these colors....

33 posts in this topic

To begin, I broke my hand last week, and some of these photos are blurry, I know. I was in a hurry to take these pics before I left the house.

That being said, I purchased this set off the bay last week, and they just arrived. Some of these colors are so intense they cannot be Natural.

So, what are your thoughts? Which ones stand out as AT or NT?

SELLERS PICS

26j2_zps91dee619.jpg

26j3_zps2f3c4841.jpg

IN HAND PICS

Picture10-4_zps1f1fa44b.png

Picture13_zps7bc60a81.png

Picture15-1_zpsbecd3aa8.png

Picture16-1_zps47b2398e.png

Picture17_zps583a9090.png

Picture26_zps1dd38623.png

Picture27_zps888fc7c0.png

Picture28_zpsb92af204.png

In the album they look fine but when you show the actual cropped coins it leaves little doubt in my mind that the whole group is most likely AT. Classic AT colors and patterns on most of those so if you had a chance to return the group....I would use the option.

Others might disagree but I have not seen those colors and patterns on NT dansco coins.....the colors are usually much more subtle with the normal pastel bullseye toning patterns not splotchy rainbows.

OK, those don't look right. The photo is a bit odd but it doesn't look like Dansco toning at all.

Whether or not they are AT I don't know. The question really is whether you like them at the price asked.

jom

Thats very odd... I too at first thought normal Dansco toning but as everyone else has said that doesnt look like natural Dansco toning...

It might be accelerated toning using heat to speed up the process. There are few toned SBAs to be able to compare them to though. Since they are only 30 yrs old we are just now starting to see toned examples get released into the market.

However, I can tell you that they will not grade at NGC. They have become much more difficult on modern toners.

1 or 2 might make the cut at PCGS. I would check the 81-S for a Type II.

If you didnt pay much it might be worth to pick 2-3 and submit them for grading depending on how good they look in hand you might get lucky. Toned SBAs are going from $75 to $200+.

If you have $200+ into the set I would return them.

eBay listing

I would need to see more of your pictures to make a valid opinion.

I have bought a few times from those guys, and sometimes they do not even know what they are selling. If it was AT, they bought it that way. $88 into the set is not outrageous.

Back to your pics, what sort of lighting, camera set-up? If you were selling those, I would think heavily juiced or manipulated -mainly because the surrounding Dansco pages do not look those colors to me in person.

I think there is an off-chance that these coins are natural Dansco toning - but it will be impossible to get them slabbed as such (although, really, why would you want to?). The colors and patterns are unusual - and not in a good way.

Adjust the background color of your "in hand" photos to match that of a Dansco page. That might help you evaluate the coins.

I have quite a few Danscos that have had sba's and others in them for quite a few years and I have to agree that these don't look like they are Dansco toned. I notice my coins are more subtle and I've not seen the wild colors these show. My personal opinion of them would be at'd and then stored in the dansco. Jmo

To add: I think they look cool for an album, just would be doubtful the would grade.

Back to your pics, what sort of lighting, camera set-up? If you were selling those, I would think heavily juiced or manipulated -mainly because the surrounding Dansco pages do not look those colors to me in person.

I'm VERY fancy. I open my blinds and sit in my chair resting the Dansco on my knee with one hand and holding the camera with the other. I say this to point out that there is nothing professional about my pics, and I do not even attempt any trickery. However, I see what you are saying about the Dansco pages looking like different colors, but I DO NOT enhance colors. I really stress this because I do not want anyone having any doubts as to the authenticity of my coins, especially if I were trying to sell something on this forum. Again, I'm no expert, but maybe the camera adjusts the ISO in low light?? Especially with the reflection of light straight down the barrel? Maybe that is what was going on? Below is the natural, raw pic (uncropped/straightened) and below it is one enhanced to match the ideal Dansco page coloring.

Natural light (no color adjustments(pics posted))

Picture1-4_zps8a67eb9a.png

Temperature raised to match Dansco page color

Picture2-7_zpscb1d9bb7.png

I wasn't suggesting you'd deliberately changed the color balance to mislead, sorry.

If the bottom album page color matches the actual album color, then the coin will be correct in color. You might have to adjust density or tone a little, but to me the bottom image looks a lot more realistic than the upper one.

If I sent those in for grading I would expect 100% of them to grade with a problem!

I think you would be in for disappointment and a financial loss...while a few may grade...the majority are classic AT and I don't see either TPG grading them unless the color is completely different in hand (thumbs u

If I sent those in for grading I would expect 100% of them to grade with a problem!

I think you would be in for disappointment and a financial loss...while a few may grade...the majority are classic AT and I don't see either TPG grading them unless the color is completely different in hand (thumbs u

I would expect they look more subtle in hand.... the 81P might be the only problem child. How about this. I get them all graded and you send me that beautiful Ike to get graded too :devil::baiting::banana:

I've seen SBAs tone just like this in Dansco albums as well as the hard plastic 3 piece albums. They just tone this way. I had a bunch slabbed many years ago. There was very little premium for the color.

I think he is saying 100% would be in genuine slabs - at least that is how I interpret 100% with a problem.

I would have to see in hand, but a couple of those look like they would make it. If you are thinking of returning those, I will buy them from you for a little more than your cost+ shipping.

Well guys, I decided to pick a few that I was confident about and send them in. And surprise, surprise..... all 6 graded!......at PCGS.

I also had them TRUEVIEWED. Check them out and let me know what you think.

Thanks again for the support!

MS65

27548673_Large_zpsdfec80bb.jpg

MS66

27548674_Large_zpsb83c4592.jpg

MS64

27548675_Large_zps9cdc8623.jpg

PR67UC

27548676_Large_zpsec5bcc95.jpg

MS65

27548677_Large_zps5079b644.jpg

MS66

27548678_Large_zps37b2c852.jpg

Whats weird is that Photobucket dulls the colors that are in the pics. Checkout to original TRUEVIEW pics, but when uploaded to PB, the colors are faded.....weird. I only mention this, because these pictures more match the vibrancy of my original pics.

pic 1

pic 2

pic 3

pic 4

pic 5

pic 6

You did! thanks much!

do you know why Photobucket has dulled the pics so much? did you see the links I added? WAY more vibrant.

You did! thanks much!

do you know why Photobucket has dulled the pics so much? did you see the links I added? WAY more vibrant.

that happend recently with a coin of mine.... not sure whats up with PB these days.... Hey save up some more cash and send those proofs in now!!! u have a doozy of a SBA set!!!

Killer!!! Congratulations.

I wonder if it is worth it but the 1979-D that is graded MS66 can be conserved to

remove the spot on the reverse if it may grade higher?

Just a thought.

Graded or not I don't like the colors on those and believe whole hardedly they had some heat help in the album ;)

PCGS has little liability here so it's probably not a big deal.

However, the 79S in the "in hand" photo looks a lot different than the TrueView. The TV does make it look like Dansco toning whereas the previous photo didn't.

The one 1981 piece that graded looks "odd" to me still. Whatever, as long as the OP likes them....

Congrads!

jom