• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1980 D washington quater MS 67 posted by Allen

9 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

A very rare coin with Not enough registry points?

I recently purchased a 1980 D Washington quarter ngc ms 67 for my registry sets. before I bid on the coin I checked out the census and the price guide . Ngc has only graded 9 in this grade and non higher but there is only a total of 113 graded by ngc(seems very low). I expected there to be a high value on this coin. But there is no price in the price guide. so I checked the other guys price guide and it was $700 and the census is 16 in ms 67. so I put in a bid what I thought was a fair price. and got the coin for a lot less. when I put this coin in my registry I noticed it only carried 237 registry points which I thought was very low. so I put in a request for a score correction and the score changed to 783 which is still low for a pop of only 25 and none higher from both services. But ill take it.

So If you are one of the other owners of this coin you now have a few more points . Enjoy

So my question is. Is this coin actually that rare in high grades or just one of those coins flying under the radar and not many people think is worth sending in for grading?

See more journals by Allen

Congratulations on the new pick up; it’s always good when you can get a coin you need for a price that you can live with. I don’t know a lot about modern U.S. coinage but I would dare guess that this may be one of the coins that people just don’t really see worth sending in; this is not to say that this isn’t a valuable coin. I say this because of the low number of coins that have been sent in and graded by both of the companies, a lot of people during that time frame saved bank rolls of coins; however I’m sure a good percentage of those coins have since been released into general circulation.

Don.

Allen,

There will be more graded in the future when the right gambler (grader/dealer) decides to add a few more. Not really rare just that a MS66 on most modern coin values is less than grading costs and the risk of losing money on submissions expenses is high. I have found that the modern coin submissions are usually a break even deal so unless a dealer is building a set he is not going to submit very many. I have around 40 quarters to send in this year as soon as I clear up my credit card. ???

Nice addition and good luck on your set.

Rick

Some clad quarters are truly rare. Only time will tell if the 80D will be one of them. I think NGC does a good job with the valuation but Im not sure on the formula they use but I think it has something to do with price and population.

Good luck with your clad quarter set!!

Allen- Rick is spot on. In the 80's I was buying a roll or two of everything and putting them away. I know several people within my circle of friends that did the same thing. I sold mine years later, but I have no idea if the roll was ever cracked or not.

That is the difficult decision when choosing a coin to collect. When concentrating on modern issues one must always (at least for a few more decades anyway) look at the low pops not as a sign of rarity, but rather a sign that people either saw no value to have the coins graded or are sitting on them until the time is right and then the pops will shoot up and the value will go the other way most likely.

I always say collect moderns because they are beautiful and less expensive to put together sets, but if you don't want that population "Sword of Damocles" hanging over your head it is wise to collect older issues. I also personally feel you will have a higher return on investment as well.

A good example of this is the American Silver Eagle craze we see. Many people are paying significant money to obtain MS70 or PF70 coins and they are experiencing first hand what buying a new car is like.

The NGC census states 518,327,487 quarters were struck in 1980 at the Denver mint. This is probably never going to be a rare coin.

It is beautiful though!

Allen- Rick is spot on. In the 80's I was buying a roll or two of everything and putting them away. I know several people within my circle of friends that did the same thing. I sold mine years later, but I have no idea if the roll was ever cracked or not.

That is the difficult decision when choosing a coin to collect. When concentrating on modern issues one must always (at least for a few more decades anyway) look at the low pops not as a sign of rarity, but rather a sign that people either saw no value to have the coins graded or are sitting on them until the time is right and then the pops will shoot up and the value will go the other way most likely.

Thanks Bo,

I do enjoy the moderns as a hobby addition and will always add to the sets that I have. When I need a certain date and mint mark there are many dealers that sell unopened rolls at fair prices all the way back to 1965. I know I will never see a value surge upward in my time but I do "enjoy the hunt"!!!!

Rick

I enjoy the hunt too Rick and I hope I didn't sound too negative about collecting moderns. I have some too. Mostly keeping them for my Godkids.

To illustrate my point a little, I have about a dozen mint rolls of wheat pennies in my safe. I'm waiting for the right time to teach the kids a little about history and coin collecting. Even at that I don't know how many of these coins I would send in for grading unless they are near perfect. The grading cost does not justify sending them in unless they are at least MS67.

I think moderns are great. I just think the price comparison between new and classic issues are out of whack. The 1881S Morgan is a good example. Mintage of 21,726,811 with probably 60% of those coins destroyed and yet one can get an MS67 for about $500 if you look around. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Totally agree with Rick' and Bo's thoughts.Bo summed it up by stating " the price comparison between new and classic issues are out of whack". I only collect the $5 modern gold commemerative series, and I would have to say that the points are overstated by a factor of 2X (conservatively). I will at some point take major "point heavies" when I sell this set, but my collecting goal is not about how many registry points I have accumulated. Cheers ! RichH

I am in the process of having my mint sets graded. I have not gotten to my 1980 set yet but I think I'll make it my next set to be graded. Today I sent in a wonderful 1962 mint set. which I have very high hopes that in will grade in the mid to high 60's fingers crossed. my 1980 set looks great but it all depends on the mood of the grader on the day it gets graded.

Happy collecting and may God bless....Mike