• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Numismatic Steward

20 posts in this topic

How do you think of your collection? Are you a numismatic steward or a careless collector?

Do you not only appreciate the coins you acquire, but do your best to preserve and protect them for the future, or are they temporary shiny things acquired for ego or profit?

(It's OK -- Guido and Rocco will not visit you however you answer.)

I am a steward----I take good care of them. It would be foolish not to protect your investment, anyway. I also believe very much in preserving them, b/c the are RARE, historic and beautiful. The next generation deserves to inherit this!

How do you think of your collection? Are you a numismatic steward or a careless collector?

Do you not only appreciate the coins you acquire, but do your best to preserve and protect them for the future, or are they temporary shiny things acquired for ego or profit?

(It's OK -- Guido and Rocco will not visit you however you answer.)

I am currently a careful collector in the process of evolving into a numismatic steward. I share portions of my collection with other collectors. The majority of my collections I keep to myself. I do find myself considering the future stewardship of my most prized coins.

I have not yet answered that question.

Guido and Rocco would have a serious problem if they chose to visit me.

Carl

Based on my economic position, you'd better believe I appreciate the coins I acquire - each and every one. However, I don't agree with the premise that they must be "preserved" in their present condition necessarily. Indeed, much of my collection consists (or consisted) of shiny round things that are now in albums and hopefully toning. So my contention would be that a good steward may hope to influence the future hobby in positive ways, some of which might not include keeping specific items in identical condition for all future time.

Most collectors have a vested interest in keeping their coins as nice as possible since they may want to sell them some day and their condition has a direct effect on their value. This is just common semse.

Most collectors have a vested interest in keeping their coins as nice as possible since they may want to sell them some day and their condition has a direct effect on their value. This is just common semse.

Some of us hope to leave the coins in even "better" condition.

I have some that I've gotten just for fun and most I collect seriously. There has to be some fun things with the serious stuff to keep yourself entertained in the hobby.

2 years ago when I sold the core of my collection, I felt no remorse because I had a plan and I went through with it pretty much on schedule. It was a short range plan, meaning I had no idea I would be doing this when collecting, but everything just sort of fell in place and it felt right.

So, I was nothing more than a 'caretaker' while they were in my possession.

I'm a careless collector. I focus on one type, but like to acquire a piece or two in other series that I find cool. I am careful about how I store these coins so other people can enjoy them if I decide to sell them.

I am a steward, I want the coins to be in the same condition as when I bought them when the next generation gets them. That is why I slab them and use Intercept Shield products around the slabs, to minimize exchange with the atmosphere that ages the surfaces for better or worse.

Best, HT

I am a steward, I want the coins to be in the same condition as when I bought them when the next generation gets them. That is why I slab them and use Intercept Shield products around the slabs, to minimize exchange with the atmosphere that ages the surfaces for better or worse.

Best, HT

Keep in mind that "Intercept Shield" products are no longer being produced and in fact they stopped producing in 2010. Everything on the market is at least 2 to 3 years old already.