• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Baltimore purchase I would like to share

21 posts in this topic

This seven piece Walker Proof set has proven a lot tougher then I bargained for when I first decided to put it together. The 1936 I intended to buy first as the key but the right coin for me hasn't come to market in the past seven years. When I first viewed this coin from a distance I thought it was a 1942. The 1936 just doesn't come this way in general. I truly enjoyed this purchase. One more to go.

MJ

1.jpg

Oh...baby! If the sun had a bit of cameo it would have graded as such. That's a rare coin....congrads!

jom

MJ, is the coin that frosted looking, in hand? Either way, I have no doubt that it is spectacular. Congratulations!

That's what I was thinking. It looks frosty......non the less, dynamite proof!!!

So that's what one of those look like!

MJ, you know that's every bit a high gem. Let me tell you what else you got, in case you hadn't realized it. Think from an artistic standpoint. You got what the engraver wanted you to see.

Let me risk confusing you just a tad more, then I'll let you alone. Any artist worth anything is consciously controlling our eye movement through the artwork. We're just not very conscious of that, but they are. The use of detail in coins is how that's achieved. What we're seeing in this coin is exactly what the engraver was trying to express. That's what you got. And it's my kind of coin.

Good for you; keep her like that!

Thanks for displaying that magnificent piece. As you surely know, you can enlarge the proof set slightly to eight pieces by including the 1941 without the AW.

MJ, is the coin that frosted looking, in hand? Either way, I have no doubt that it is spectacular. Congratulations!

That's what I was thinking. It looks frosty......non the less, dynamite proof!!!

The coin has a distinct cameoeque apparence and one I have never seen on a 1936. The fields are like an unbroken sheet of black glass. I wrapped up the deal as I was leaving the show and I had a chance to show the purchase to a few people on my way out. Andy Kimmel who said he has seen one with more cameo. Larry Shepherd said it was the nicest white 1936 proof he has ever seen. That always makes me feel a little better as this coin put a dent in the checkbook. Bill Shamhart told me too bad the sun wasn't cameo and smirked and walked away ;)

I like the coin as 67 every time and easily the most stimulating 36 proof I have had the pleasure of viewing.

Note, these are a bear to photograph and this image caught essence of the cameo the best.

MJ

The coin has a distinct cameoeque apparence and one I have never seen on a 1936. The fields are like an unbroken sheet of black glass. I wrapped up the deal as I was leaving the show and I had a chance to show the purchase to a few people on my way out. Andy Kimmel who said he has seen one with more cameo. Larry Shepherd said it was the nicest white 1936 proof he has ever seen. That always makes me feel a little better as this coin put a dent in the checkbook. Bill Shamhart told me too bad the sun wasn't cameo and smirked and walked away ;)

I like the coin as 67 every time and easily the most stimulating 36 proof I have had the pleasure of viewing.

Note, these are a bear to photograph and this image caught essence of the cameo the best.

MJ

Thanks and fantastic. By the way, when you said you would like to "share", did you mean, as in send it around the country to each of us? :devil:

AMAZING :applause::applause:

monster deep mirrors and basically this 36 walker is a cameo just without cameo on the tag but this is a good thing as then the coin would cost $80k-100k+

the eye appeal is utterly amazing

as to the sun not being cameoed no suns are fully cameoed on any walker proof of any year as this was the lowest point of the design

let me guess you paid $25k+ hm

That is an unreal 36 pf

Holy !@#$ you are not kidding, what an astounding coin! Blows mine away :) .

In my experience, contrary to what many folks might guess, the 1936 and 1937 often do show a surprising amount of frost on the devices, almost to where it might seem like a cameo proof. But, I have never yet in some 15 years of looking at these seen one that had the requisite cameo frost on the sun. If I ever found a fully frosted example with the sun also textured, I would do whatever it takes to buy it, even at the expense of any coins in my current collection. To me, that would be the "holy grail" of classic proof mintage.

This is what makes the Walker half such a special coin. They are among the most beautiful of American coins and this one is at the top of the stack.

Nice coin.