• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

youll never guess where i found this 1949S dime.....

17 posts in this topic

so while out and about today i stop to check my change and i find this beauty..... any takers on the grade? Also it looks to me like theres something on the rev left side, running up through the "plu". anyone know what caused that? also possible doubling on the mint mark? thanks

SAM_5423_zpsee01e8d4.jpg

SAM_5425_zpsef85e3d8.jpg

49s-2_zps6ab50272.jpg

That's a good looking coin. Would be much better, I believe, if it did not have those gouges in the main focal points (His Cheek). Also it is not a Full Torch which would make a really big difference in value since that would indicate a much higher mint state and less circulation, if any.

In my uneducated opinion MS63 or maybe MS64. Better wait to hear from the experienced. I just wanted to see how bad my judgment is.

Nice coin though.

i found it in my change the local coin dealer gave me lol. figured of all stores they would be the ones keeping an eye on their change. i took it to the same shop today and asked them to grade it and they said ms66-ms67 and then freaked when i told them i got it in my change from them. i also found a 1888/7 indian head in their junk bag the same day

I'm by no means an expert, but I highly doubt that this coin would grade anywhere close to MS66 or 67. You might be able to get MS60 out of it, although that is highly unlikely. I'm thinking this coin is somewhere between XF45 and AU-55. There are too many hits on the cheek, theres a nice, long scratch below the cheek bone, and there are signs of wear on the reverse of this coin. Once a coin shows wear, it is no longer Mint State. Just my opinion though, for what it's worth.

i found it in my change the local coin dealer gave me lol. figured of all stores they would be the ones keeping an eye on their change. i took it to the same shop today and asked them to grade it and they said ms66-ms67 and then freaked when i told them i got it in my change from them. i also found a 1888/7 indian head in their junk bag the same day

:facepalm::tonofbricks:

I have some ocean front property in Arizona to sell too. Based on your other post (now deleted in which you came up with a ridiculous story and responded rudely to members when they questioned you), I'll guess that this is another one of your gross exaggerations (and I am being polite here).

Most well educated coin collectors can hear when they have a silver coin in their loose change and when the coin hits the tray in the register. Silver coins have a distinct "ring" to them and to anyone who knows what it sounds like, they immediately look. I know I do. I heard a slight "ring" in my change the other day and found a war nickel. It was worn and wasn't anything to get overly excited about, but I put it away with all the other worn silver change I've received.

lol, my " gross exaggerations " ? not one has been but thanks. and my local dealer dont have his own register. there are 3 business in 1 store the main is a jewelry store, theres a guy that buys things like computer cpus for refinement, and theres the coin guy that has about 15 feet of shelf out of over 200. so how do u not know someone else put it in there? ohhh seems we have another case of someone running their mouth when they dont know what theyre talking about. please dont instigate and run ur mouth when you dont have the facts. i dont want to prove you to be as much of a window licking insufficiently_thoughtful_person as the fools yesterday. (and im being nice to)

lol, my " gross exaggerations " ? not one has been but thanks.

lol

lollollol

...and my local dealer dont have his own register. there are 3 business in 1 store the main is a jewelry store, theres a guy that buys things like computer cpus for refinement, and theres the coin guy that has about 15 feet of shelf out of over 200. so how do u not know someone else put it in there?

How is this relevant to the original post? doh!

You want a legitimate guess as to where you found this? I'll guess that you found this in the parking lot of a grocery store on the asphalt and/or sidewalk. There is a huge ding on Mr. Roosevelt.

ohhh seems we have another case of someone running their mouth when they dont know what theyre talking about. please dont instigate and run ur mouth when you dont have the facts.

You present an unbelievable story in another post that is replete with gross exaggerations and now you expect people to believe you? Moreover, after insulting the other posters, why would anyone care what you have to say?

i dont want to prove you to be as much of a window licking insufficiently_thoughtful_person as the fools yesterday. (and im being nice to)

The term "window licking insufficiently_thoughtful_person" is a new one for me. What is the etymology of this term? Do people of your culture/area lick windows routinely? If so, lead paint could explain a lot of your issues.

due to the rub in the hairline I would say AU58. Not much more than melt maybe, sold one the other day for around $10 that had some nice album toning.

My guess is AU 55, but it's really hard to tell from pictures. I'm deriving this guess by what appears to be a luster break in the hair above the ear. The weak strike won't hurt it as much as one might think. I have Roosies in my collection that have a similar reverse strike graded as high as MS 68 FT.

If there isn't a luster break then MS 62-63 - far too many contact marks to be anything better.

As for the mint mark it appears to be an RPM. The Flynn guide to Roosevelt Dimes lists two for 49-S and this doesn't appear to be either. It appears to me that it is at least and S/S/S - meaning it was struck three times. I derive that opinion by looking at the upper serif, which seems to have three distinct seperate lines.

In any account a nice find!! :golfclap:

Just my two cents...

Todd