• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toned P$ - thoughts?

21 posts in this topic

I talked to the dealer before those hit the Ebay market to work out a deal on the entire lot.

He has 30+ remaining. I dont know if you guys remember my discussion about a Wisconsin collector who started collecting toned Peace $ long before me (and you guys) but this is his collection. I had heard about his collection 12-13 years ago. He's now finally selling them off.

Unfortunately, the consignment dealer has got them priced rather high. I think if he would drop the price 15-25% on most of them he could actually move them. But alas I dont think he will.

The one star toner he has on ebay right now for $1100 and on his site for $960, was recently sold on Heritage for less than $300.

Despite this, he wouldn't budge off his $960 number.

Yep. I think its a $600-$700 coin.

Did these pop up on the market after the Murphy-heritage piece came up for sale? If so that could be a reason for selling.

In addition to the stiff prices, the seller probably told the dealer the price he wanted, so add ebay,paypal,consignment fees on top of the top dollar price and there you have the reason for the over market prices.

Personally I would like to thank this seller as I just look through his entire inventory....when buyers see prices like those... my auctions look like bargains lol

It is my understanding that the seller owns these pieces and this is not a consignment.

Did he buy them ? Otherwise it was a consignment when I was looking to do a deal on the entire lot...

If he did that might explain the jump in price from what I could have bought them for.

It is my understanding that the seller owns these pieces and this is not a consignment.

Did he buy them ? Otherwise it was a consignment when I was looking to do a deal on the entire lot...

If he did that might explain the jump in price from what I could have bought them for.

He explicitly told me he bought one of the coins for XXX dollars.

There's also a seller who just sells Toned Morgan Dollars. The only thing I don't like about toned silver coins is that I read that a lot of these guys have a way to artificially tone Silver.

My question is how can you tell if its truly a Naturally toned coin or artificially toned ?

There's also a seller who just sells Toned Morgan Dollars. The only thing I don't like about toned silver coins is that I read that a lot of these guys have a way to artificially tone Silver.

My question is how can you tell if its truly a Naturally toned coin or artificially toned ?

First step is look at images of as many toned Morgans in NGC and PCGS holders as you can either on Ebay or through auction archives. If you have access to go to coin shows that's even better as there is no substitute for seeing toned coins in hand.

Seeing the usual patterns and colors should help a lot but it simply takes time to get good at spotting artificially toned coins. If you decide to purchase toned coins then I would highly advise buying coins already certified by NGC or PCGS. While they may not catch every AT coin I think they catch about 95% of them so your adds of getting a good coin in one of those holders is very good. (thumbs u

Practice, practice, practice but then you will still not get it 100%.

Even coins you know are NT might not get into PCGS or NGC plastic because they might look AT or suspicious or they may not be MA (market acceptable).

Telling the difference is never a science its more of an art - with an always changing target...

He explicitly told me he bought one of the coins for XXX dollars.

So it is a consignment deal on all of the others but one... okay.

I only inquired about one coin. If that was the only coin he "bought" and the rest of the coins are on consignment, then that is a big-time coincidence.

The seller is Joe Kaminski. He is still cutting his teeth in the toned Dollar portion of coins but has been around coins for a very long time. I would assume he owns all of the coins outright and that he paid up for all of the coins. They are nice coins but I agree with your assessments on price