• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Todds Images of my Neon Bust Half!

27 posts in this topic

Nice images. BUT, even they don't show the extent of the coin's vibrancy or the wildness and beauty of its color. At least, as best I can remember its actual appearance.

Nice images. BUT, even they don't show the extent of the coin's vibrancy or the wildness and beauty of its color. At least, as best I can remember its actual appearance.

That's kind of what I thought. Ankur's new photo looks similar to what I've seen of it so far.

Just another example of photos just not conveying what you can actually see LIVE.

Great coin though!

jom

I agree. I viewed this coin in hand. Todd s pics are good but with the coin in hand the colors on the Obverse are even more vibrant and more wide spread. The Reverse also shows some vibrant colors. Under the viewing light the toning on both sides leaps out to you like a DayGlo poster. Please understand, I was able to tilt the coin and watch the wonderful play of coloration on both the Obverse and Reverse. The photographer is limited by having to chose a single viewing plane.

It would be very interesting to make a short video showing both sides of this coin tiled back and forth to show the real play of coloration.

As far as toning, a very special coin.

Carl

I think you should send it to BuffaloHead and see what he can do with it. I've seen other pictures of your coin and these seem to fall a bit short. Of course, the other photos could have been juiced, but from the descriptions of well respected people who have held the coin in hand, Mr. Feld and Mr. TDN, I would say that these photos are not totally representative of what the coin actually looks like in hand.

Hey Ankur, Todds photos are very nice ... but ... if you want the best photos that show this coin in it's full glory, you will have to send this to PCGS for an out-of-the-slab TrueView photo. Out of the slab is the ONLY way you will get a photo showing the full range of colors. I realize that you might not want to do that due to the Gold CAC sticker, however I think that CAC will give you a new gold sticker as long as you keep the Cert Number (which you would on a PCGS TrueVIew and Reholder). Any through-the-slab photographer will struggle showing the optimal full color on a coin like this. Believe me I have tried a number of through-the-slab photographers and compared their results with out-of-the-slab TrueView photos on some monster color coins and I know about this VERY VERY WELL.

I will also add that if you had almost any good through-the-slab photographer crack this coin out and shoot raw, most would come up with photos that rivaled TrueView photos -- so I am not disparaging any private photographer -- however that is very risky in terms of getting this coin re-graded by PCGS at the same grade and re-CAC'd as a gold sticker. By sending to PCGS for a TrueVIew photo, the coin can be cracked out, shot raw, and then re-holdered at the same grade with the same Cert Number. That also guarantees that you could get a replacement gold sticker from CAC since this coin and Cert No. would be in their database.

Hey Ankur, Todds photos are very nice ... but ... if you want the best photos that show this coin in it's full glory, you will have to send this to PCGS for an out-of-the-slab TrueView photo. Out of the slab is the ONLY way you will get a photo showing the full range of colors. I realize that you might not want to do that due to the Gold CAC sticker, however I think that CAC will give you a new gold sticker as long as you keep the Cert Number (which you would on a PCGS TrueVIew and Reholder). Any through-the-slab photographer will struggle showing the optimal full color on a coin like this. Believe me I have tried a number of through-the-slab photographers and compared their results with out-of-the-slab TrueView photos on some monster color coins and I know about this VERY VERY WELL.

I will also add that if you had almost any good through-the-slab photographer crack this coin out and shoot raw, most would come up with photos that rivaled TrueView photos -- so I am not disparaging any private photographer -- however that is very risky in terms of getting this coin re-graded by PCGS at the same grade and re-CAC'd as a gold sticker. By sending to PCGS for a TrueVIew photo, the coin can be cracked out, shot raw, and then re-holdered at the same grade with the same Cert Number. That also guarantees that you could get a replacement gold sticker from CAC since this coin and Cert No. would be in their database.

A normal toning enthusiast would do what you are suggesting and not worry about the ogh or the cac sticker. But a CAC head will most likely fear that it wont get another gold sticker (its not guaranteed).

A normal toning enthusiast would do what you are suggesting and not worry about the ogh or the cac sticker. But a CAC head will most likely fear that it wont get another gold sticker (its not guaranteed).

On the other hand, a "normal toning enthusiast" might also be happy with the present image, care more about what the coin, itself, looks like and enjoy it.

On the other hand, a "normal toning enthusiast" might also be happy with the present image, care more about what the coin, itself, looks like and enjoy it.

And your evidence for that accusation is...?

Cool! Very "electric" looking coin. I never saw it in person, but based on descriptions of those who have, I wonder if it would benefit from a stereogram for showing depth of the color.

It's in an OGH, so I don't want to crack it out for trueviews.

Forget "Trueview". I find their photos are way over the top. This photo is probably the best representation you are going to get with it looking like a painting.

jom

Good photos.... but like everyone else who has seen it in hand, it just doesn't do the coin justice. The luster is not visible in this picture really at all - in hand, the luster makes the coin "POP" a lot more.

This is a example that needs to be tilted into the lights to capture additional surface color and vibrancy. Todd's images are parallel to the lens and accurate for this type of image. I would like to see images of the titled into the lights type, with a t/s Nikon lens to get everything in focus. Mark Goodman does this type of work, I have one of these lenses but am still working to get it perfected. Others as well.

Stunning images for sure though and showing why Todd is one of the best.

Best, HT

Great images. It is so hard to bring out color of some of these more vibrant and attractive Busties. Especially after you are all excited about FINDING a vibrant and attractive Bustie! :banana: